New York-Western
Options

Anyone having their wedding at Woodcliff?

If so, I have decor questions and need help!

Re: Anyone having their wedding at Woodcliff?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am! October 29...so I'll try to help :)
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! I'm October 2!!  What are you doing over the dance floor? When I went to that Tasting event I really didn't like the toulle and lights and now I'm trying to think of what I can do.  I talked to someone from Balloon Effects who suggested just uplighting around the room and then filtering the overhead lights with a softer color just to warm it up.  Do you have any ideas? Jason, my planner, showed me some paper lanterns but I'm having a hard time picturing how that would look in that room.
    I'm doing dark brown linens. My centerpieces are Pottery Barn lanterns with some mini orange and white pumpkins around it. 
    I'd love to hear what you're doing!  I love the Woodcliff because of it's amazing service, ceremony location, the fact that my guests can stay right there, and the food.. but I just don't love the look of that room so I'm trying to think of how I can love it!!
    Thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I just looked at your profile and we have almost the same cake idea and my BM's are carrying the same fire orange calla lillys against their chocolate dresses!  Good taste!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, the room is a little dark.  

We snuck in right before booking when another wedding was going on to see how it actually looked for a wedding...which was totally different than during the tasting when there were a million and one tables crammed in there (obviously we weren't there when the bride & groom were!)  I like the tulle and lights just because it softens the room a bit.  I also want the pillairs covered.  I don't like them uncovered. We're doing the up-lighting through our DJ too (Finger Lakes Entertainment) and I think that'll help.  Our linens are ivory and we're doing chocolate napkins, and my centerpieces are going to be half tall vases with suspended calla lillies in water and then short vases with vines & callas...very simple. 

I love your idea for the centerpieces!  Sounds so pretty!  I'm trying to stay away from pumpkins because we're so close to halloween :)  

Our ceremony will be at my church (my fiance is petrified of bees, and even though it's not "bee season" we could never do an outdoor wedding!!) and then we'll move to the Woodcliff for the reception. Your ceremony will be gorgeous in October overlooking the county & all the changing trees!!  I totally agree with you though on booking it for the grounds, the food, & service.  The room is nice, I like that the cocktail hour is separate.  I love Jason.  He was originally our planner, but then they brought Jamie on (who is just as attentative!) so we got moved to Jamie.  The chairs in that room kill me though, and I'm the only one who cares, so the chairs are staying :(

So I guess I'm not too much help because we're doing the standard offering, but that's what I'm doing with everything else :)  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's so fun to talk to someone who's having her wedding at the same place!  I'm glad you said you saw the room set up for a wedding. I think they scare people away with all those crazy table cloths and chair covers and different center pieces ! Your post made me feel much better!

Your centerpieces and linens sound lovely! And I know what you mean about being afraid of the outdoor ceremony..I actually booked the Westminster chapel as well so that if it rains, we have a back up plan. The other back up plan was to be married in the ballroom and I wasn't having that!

What did you guys decide on for food?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married there on July 15.  We're also having our ceremony there. I was concerned about decor too. We are doing the tulle & lights over the dance floor and pillar covers.  Not my favorite but they definitely soften the room.  I HATE the chairs so I'm actually renting silver chivari (sp?) chairs. Expensive but I had to do it. We're doing white linens with white napkins.  Our centerpieces are half tall/half short purples and greens. I'm also doing purple "crystal" sprinkled around the vases and the three candles that they provide. We're also doing tables on the patio outside and will have a few lanterns out there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! July 15 is my birthday so it's bound to be a beautiful day! Are you getting married on the look out point?  Your chair choice sounds very pretty. And I'm sure the tulle and lights will look beautiful with the rest of the decor.
    Wondering what you also are thinking for food... I keep going back and forth between the 2nd and 3rd level packages and just wondering if it's worth it to go with the 3rd tier. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, we went with Lookout Point. It HAS to be nice because I refuse to have my ceremony in the reception room. haha. We ended up going with the second tier package.  We were initially going with the first but decided that it was worth it to have the champagne toast, hor deurves and better menu selections.  We ended up choosing the sirloin, mako & shrimp duo, and tortellini with vodka sauce. The tortellini wasn't an available veg option but since I hated all of the ones at the tasting and the veggie menu didn't sound like my style, we asked for something different.  It's actually offered as part of the stations menu. They said we could go ahead and pick one off there to serve plated instead. We've also made a few substitutions for sides and the salad. So far, they've been great to work with...very flexible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with the "Woodcliff" wedding...so this is our menu (copied from my wedding website so I didn't forget anything...sorry if the formatting is funky!)  When we did the math from the middle tier up to this one, we actually came out ahead just going with this one (the top shelf bar we would have upgraded to, plus it's an extra hour...and the back drops, includes hors d'ouerves, etc...)  
    During Cocktail Hour: 
    Domestic & Imported Cheese & Crackers
    Vegetable & Crudités
    Bacon Wrapped Scallops
    Polenta Cakes with Cheddar Cheese & Ploblano Peppers
    Brie & Raspberry Phylo Purses
    Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Bruchetta
    Starter: 
    Pilgrims Pie -- Crepe stuffed with sweet potatoes, brie, onion, & pear  **This is from the middle menu, we liked it better.
    Salad:
    Empire Salad -- Field greens, cheddar cheese, apple slices, maple vinaigrette  **This is something we had in the restaurant that they said they could do for the wedding.
    Main Course: (choose one)
    Grilled Filet of Beef Tenderloin -- Cabernet sauce, au gratin potatoes, seasonal veggies
    Halibut -- Pistachio crust, citrus butter sauce, whipped potatoes, seasonal veggies
    Black Eyed Pea Fritters (Vegetarian) -- Coconut Sauce...
    Dessert:
    Wedding cake! -- Carrot cake w/ cream cheese filling or Marble cake w/ vanilla custard.
    Fruit Tartlets
    Tea Cookies
    Drizzled Macaroons
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_anyone-having-their-wedding-woodcliff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:622Discussion:26b6b73f-9b77-47e4-b1f5-3fe5f85e9648Post:64c1f4e2-4714-4704-9963-b20bed01bc37">Re: Anyone having their wedding at Woodcliff?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married there on July 15.  We're also having our ceremony there. I was concerned about decor too. We are doing the tulle & lights over the dance floor and pillar covers.  Not my favorite but they definitely soften the room.  I HATE the chairs so I'm actually renting silver chivari (sp?) chairs. Expensive but I had to do it. We're doing white linens with white napkins.  Our centerpieces are half tall/half short purples and greens. I'm also doing purple "crystal" sprinkled around the vases and the three candles that they provide. We're also doing tables on the patio outside and will have a few lanterns out there.
    Posted by shan2910[/QUOTE]

<div>You have to post pictures!!  I think if we weren't getting married in the Fall, and our colors were brown, I could have convinced everyone that the chairs were a necessity.  But as it stands, no one agrees with me :(</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your menu sounds almost like mine!  I loved the pistachio crusted halibut and the filet!  And those polenta cakes! Thanks for sharing! Yes, I got outnumbered on the chairs as well... and I can't really argue since we are probably going with the Woodcliff Wedding package.  And my colors are brown also, but yes, shan, definitely post pics!! Can't wait to see!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Shana- I have a look out point question for you.. what are you doing for music? I'm already paying my DJ to be there for the ceremony as we'll need microphones and amps since my fiance's brother will be singing a song during the ceremony. Do you think it's weird to have the DJ play the wedding/processional music outside? I'm trying to decide between just having him do it since we'll already be paying him or hiring a quartet of some kind. Ah decisions!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Right now, I only have a dj as well for the ceremony. We hired them for the mics and amps as well. I would love some sort of live music but I just don't know if we can swing it financially. It's something I keep putting off. I even contacted the Eastman School of Music and posted a gig. Musicians have contacted me and I haven't even wrote back...so wrong of me! I thought they'd be less expensive than hiring a pro but they really aren't.  Most quartets cost $100 per person per hour.  It's a huge cost in compared to the DJ. Just not sure if we can do it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel the same way!  SInce we are already paying the DJ, paying another 400 dollars or so for live music seems kind of crazy to me.  Trying to decide between traditional processional music or more contemporary since it will most likely be the dj playing the music. I ran into Jason, our wedding coordinator last night after a few glasses of wine..he was gracious as always but probably annoyed to be talking to another bride! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards