Wedding Party

Do couple wedding party members have to walk down the aisle together?

Do couple wedding party members have to walk down the aisle together?

Re: Do couple wedding party members have to walk down the aisle together?

• Nope.  Your wedding party doesn't have to walk down as couples at all, if you don't want them to.  It would, however, be nice to seat them together at the head table, and to let them be a couple for any reception functions you have planned.  (Wedding party dances and announcing the whole wedding party as they enter have fallen out of favor, but if you do them, let them be a couple then.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister was my MOH.  Her BF was a GM, but not the best man.  I had them walk out together.  They didn't care, but it turned out that the photo of them walking out was really cute, and I'm happy they did walk together.  None of the guests care who walks with who.  
  • It would be nice if they can but it's not a huge deal.  When BIL and SIL were married, I was a BM and DH was co BM.  I walked with a different GM and DH walked with the co-MOH.  However we sat next to each other at the reception.
  • It doesn't matter all that much, but I would probably let them go together. It sounds like you are ranking who walks in by how close a friend they are to you. If you are doing that, I would highly recommend rethinking that. It can cause a whole lot of hurt feelings if they discover that they are at the end of the line.
    Photobucket
  • My sister is my MOH and her husbnad is a groomsman, but not the best man. They are not walking down the aisle together, but they are walking into the reception/being announced together. That way they get to be together.
  • We have one couple in our wedding party and they won't be walking together because one is the best man and the other is not the maid of honor. The bridesmaid requested to walk with the other groomsman she knows, which is what I was planning anyways because the other two are our siblings and I thought it made sense for them to walk together. So if they know other people in the wedding party, that's a good option!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I guess I don't understand the "ranking". If neither is the MOH or BM, then what is the big deal? I would have them walk together. It stupid not to.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a few couples and they are all walking down together, I think it just makes the most sense. I also understand where you're coming from though - fi and I both had someone we wanted second (my sister/his best friend) and luckily neither of them are part of a couple or that may have made us think about it. I also have a friend of his on my side (who was supposed to be a bridegroom but after thinking about it threw a fit that shed be on the guys side and cried and called him 80 times and complained to anyone whod listen until I agreed to let her stand with the girls- ugh) anyways no way that girl would be second ever, even if she was dating the president - so I get having a bm you don't want second - I'd recommend having them walk together farther back but much past who walks second I would try not to do it in an order of who you're closest to b/c it could cause hurt feelings and just get messy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My fiance and I were in a wedding together and it was very weird to be walking towards my fiance, but on another (married) guys arms... totally not a big deal in my book, but it would be a nice gesture if you could make it work and like pp said, could make for a cute photo op! 
  • jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_couple-wedding-party-members-walk-down-aisle-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2754e31b-726c-40c6-adff-2e8ae17c10fbPost:57877c15-5c5f-4645-88f8-5ae502954742">Re: Do couple wedding party members have to walk down the aisle together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I don't understand the "ranking". If neither is the MOH or BM, then what is the big deal? I would have them walk together. It stupid not to.
    Posted by almost-a-bride[/QUOTE]

I agree that "ranking" is weird. For me it's more about what makes sense. To me, the MOH and BM walk together since they are the ones standing next to us. I guess I'm just traditional in the sense that they would be the last ones down the aisle before me (unless we have a ringbearer/flower girl in between there). I'm still not sure who is walking 2nd and 3rd but for me it's not about who I like better, it's about what makes the most sense. The couple in my wedding doesn't mind not walking together, but I will most likely seat them together at the reception (since they have 2 kids this would make the most sense). So I don't think it's necessarily stupid to split them up, but I think it really depends on the people.

ETA: The couple in my wedding asked us both to be in theirs, and I think they have it worked out so we will be walking together. But if we weren't, I'd be ok with it personally. It's only the time it takes to walk down the aisle that you're with someone else, and it's not like we'd be standing next to each other anyways (unless they have it set up differently).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At the rehearsal when I was recently a BM we're lining up to walk down and we're like "Yo, bride, what order are we walking in?" She said "shiit, I don't know. Height?"

I honestly think ranking them is odd, but then again I don't have anyone in my wedding party with whom I'm not extremely close. I wouldn't even know how to start ranking them.
    Lizzie
  • FI and I were both in a friends wedding when we had been dating for about two years, and they had us paired up. I thought it was nice, but I wouldn't have been upset if they hadn't put us together. We have two couples in our wedding party. We're pairing one of them up, but the other is FI's best man and one of my bridesmaids - so the best man will be paired up with my MOH.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_couple-wedding-party-members-walk-down-aisle-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2754e31b-726c-40c6-adff-2e8ae17c10fbPost:bd446ab9-a097-4917-931d-1887b53e71bf">Re: Do couple wedding party members have to walk down the aisle together?</a>:
    [QUOTE] (Wedding party dances and announcing the whole wedding party as they enter have fallen out of favor, but if you do them, let them be a couple then.)
    Posted by RaptorSLH[/QUOTE] Is it really falling out of favor? I've seen it at every wedding I've been to and I'm really looking forward to it because we only have 3 BM/GM and 1 MOH/BM....but I agree that if the person's SO is in the bridal party, they should be announced together, but it's totally your call with the processional. No one will ever be 100% happy on your wedding day, so even if she gets a bit fussy, she'll understand one day :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards