Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Paying a family member to make cake?

My aunt is making our cake for us, what are you supposed to do about paying a family member in this situation? I want to help her with the cost of making the cake but I feel like she would be offended if I offered her money.

Help!

Nicola

Re: Paying a family member to make cake?

• Options
    Offer.  It's much better to offer and have her decline than never do it.

My uncle was our DJ and we offered to pay him.  He declined, but we ended up paying for his and my aunt's hotel room for the wedding instead.  It worked out well.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    maybe instead of paying for the service, you can offer to pay for the supplies. i'm sure she's offering the cake as a "gift"... but maybe you can just say "i'd love to go the to store with you and pay for the supplies" and say how much you apperciate the time and effort put into the cake.

if she says no, buy her a gift :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    i agree - offer, and see what she says.  If she takes you up on it, I would still buy her a nice thank-you gift, because it will not only save you money, but also be a labor of love for her.  If she refuses ... buy her an even nicer gift!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I would be inclined to offer to pay for the ingredients and supplies.  I agree with what others have said ... if she refuses, buy her a nice, personal gift and give it to her a day or two before the wedding. 

Enjoy!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards