Pre-wedding Parties
Options

MOH planned bachelorette party really early?

I just received word from my MOH that my bachelorette party will be this upcoming Saturday, which is awesome and I'm really stoked.

There are two things that I'm a little bummed about:

1. I'm not getting married until July 9th. I don't exactly feel like the wedding is close yet. Even though everything's all planned and ready to go, it hasn't fully "sunk in" yet, so it seems a little weird to me to be having it so early; though I understand that my BMs have crazy schedules and this may have been the only time they could all be together prior to the wedding.

2. I turn 21 the week FOLLOWING my bachelorette party. Seriously? They couldn't have waited one.more.week. until it was legal for me to drink? I spoke to my MOH early in the engagement and dropped hints that I'd like to be 21 at my bach party, but you can't get everything you want I suppose. I'm not even that much of a drinker; maybe once or twice a year, but I'd like to at least be able to order a drink at dinner.

I have no idea what they have planned, though I'm sure it's going to be fun and I'm really grateful to have friends who would put the effort in at all. I'm just not sure that it's really going to feel like a bachelorette party as much as simply a fun day out.

What do you think? When was your bachelorette party?

Re: MOH planned bachelorette party really early?

• Options
    bekahjane89bekahjane89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can see both sides on this one... As a current BM, I can't make it to the Bachelorette party in one of my best friends weddings because I have to travel and can't make the trip 2 weeks in a row. So the length of time may seriously be because of that and I'd be very understand on that note.
    As far as being 21, that stinks! I would check and see if you can't "fish" out an answer on the reason for the date. If it can't be moved maybe you could work out a drink at home etc... other wise maybe they honest to goodness didn't put 2 and 2 together (happens more times than you'd think!).
    I hope it all works out for you!!
    Beka Lou
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_moh-planned-bachelorette-party-really-early?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:4c186195-eff5-4e39-8422-a28610203673Post:79117da2-5b2a-426e-91f7-79772ce7f49b">MOH planned bachelorette party really early?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just received word from my MOH that my bachelorette party will be this upcoming Saturday, which is awesome and I'm really stoked. There are two things that I'm a little bummed about: 1. I'm not getting married until July 9th. I don't exactly feel like the wedding is close yet. Even though everything's all planned and ready to go, it hasn't fully "sunk in" yet, so it seems a little weird to me to be having it so early; though I understand that my BMs have crazy schedules and this may have been the only time they could all be together prior to the wedding. 2. I turn 21 the week FOLLOWING my bachelorette party. Seriously? They couldn't have waited one.more.week. until it was legal for me to drink? I spoke to my MOH early in the engagement and dropped hints that I'd like to be 21 at my bach party, but you can't get everything you want I suppose. I'm not even that much of a drinker; maybe once or twice a year, but I'd like to at least be able to order a drink at dinner. I have no idea what they have planned, though I'm sure it's going to be fun and I'm really grateful to have friends who would put the effort in at all. I'm just not sure that it's really going to feel like a bachelorette party as much as simply a fun day out. What do you think? When was your bachelorette party?
    Posted by lifequestion[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Really, a b-party is just a fun night out with your friends.  Not all b-parties involve heaving drinking and strippers.  What makes this party special is it is a b-party.  The party is being held specifically to celebrate you getting married.</div><div>
    </div><div>My b-party was on a Tuesday, 4 days before my wedding, and thrown together at the last minute.  Part of my WP was under 21, so drinking/bar hoping wasn't an option if I wanted them involved.  We went to Red Robin and then to a place called Fort Fun (bumper boats, go-kart, mini-golf, etc.).  We had a fun evening and one bm bought a b-party "kit" that had little tiaras for everyone and a tiara with a veil on it for me.  It also had a "bride-to-be" sash and a few other things.  I loved my b-party and I had such a great time. </div><div>
    </div>
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    fondakimifondakimi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LaughingMy bachelorette party is planned for Sept 30th and im not getting married until Nov 6th. I think its a great idea to do it early. For one, at least you can relax and fun without worrying that the wedding is soon and thinking about last minute details. Second, maybe theres people coming into town that it works better for. And lastly, maybe your going somewhere that you can drink before 21 like Mexico! Maybe you'll be lucky enough to go somewhere for the weekend or have a limo with a bar in it! If not then work it out so you tell your maid of honor that you would enjoy a toast before you go out and im sure they will arrnage it! Or you can always steal the ladies drinks while your out! lol
    Either way im sure they arent intending on do things to purposely hurt you. Express your gratitude and make the best of the night!
  • Options
    ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think its too early.  My FI went to a bach party (the men kind) 3 months before the wedding.  It was the only time all of them could get together.  The girl bach party for this wedding was done a little closer to the wedding but it was a pain for me to get to it bc I had to travel.  If she wasn't family I might would have skipped it.  Traveling 4 hours to a bach party THEN turing around and going 6 hr to the wedding....NO FUN on the wallet for gas!

As far as the 21 thing see if they can swing something to help you out!

But beware of A.L.E. (undercover cops at bars to bust underaged drinkers)!!

have fun!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, though I'm seriously more excited about the contributions to my 401k I'm now eligible for from my employer than being able to drink. As I said, I'm really just interested in maybe having a single, solitary drink with dinner.

My mom always raised me saying, "please wait until you are at least 21 to get married" so for me, having the bach party before being 21 is kind of violating that arbitrary rule that isn't really a rule but still bothers me nonetheless. It's hard not to feel like a child, no matter how much taxes you pay/how big the house you own is, when you're under 21.

Also, from my understanding, this shindig is a daytime affair removed from typical alcohol-serving establishments and may or may not involve swing dancing (dear god there better be alcohol if there is dancing)?? I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to it nonetheless!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards