Michigan-Grand Rapids

Name one thing

Name one (or more) things for your wedding that you have paid/will pay, for that really irks you.  Example: special charges for not using the venues specific vendor, dress repairs, etc.

Re: Name one thing

• AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I can think of was the alterations for my dress.  They were stupidly expensive, and I only had the hem brought up and a bustle put in.  $200.  I was really careful to choose vendors who didn't have hidden or questionable charges.  But, it only worked because I had a small wedding I think.
  • monkey0919monkey0919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking alterations, too.  They were just ridiculous to have a dress hemmed and bustled.  I want to say I had to pay $275.  I know it was over $200. 
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that the price of linens are ridiculous.  I wanted them so bad, and they make a huge difference in the atmosphere of the reception, but I was blown away by the price we had to pay...

I was also shocked by the price of our Ketubah.  Granted it is pretty and can be hung in the house after the wedding (you have to get it framed first), but it is just a piece of paper / a contract! 

That's all I can think of (for now)...
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

edited December 2011
    Shrades, I searched long and hard for material and made my own runners.  Cheapest I found them for were $4 a yard.  UGH.  PLUS all the work I did on them after that.
  • Spartan5Spartan5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Probably chairs, because I know that I have to have them but for a 15 minute ceremony it seems stupid to have to spend $3 a chair. Chairs are the bane of my exisistence these days.
  • edited December 2011
    My venue's cake prices irk me - $5 per person? At 200 people that is a $1000 cake, um no thanks.
    Thankfully they do allow outside vendors for wedding cakes.

It bugs me to pay full price for a hair & makeup trial, when I am bringing the salon a lot of business the following week. But I am too nervous not to have one. So I guess that is my own fault :)
    Lindsey & John
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    275image 183image 92image
    edited December 2011
    Oooh... good one.  Cake cutting fees.  RIDICULOUS.  Why does it cost more for someone to cut a CAKE?!
  • shwethasrinshwethasrin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to say alterations, but it seems like I paid a little less than some of you. My local DB charged about 175 for a bustle, hem, and to take the dress in. Definitely chairs for the ceremony. I pretty much hate paying for anything that's been jacked up only because somebody put "wedding" or "bridal" before it. 
  • edited December 2011
    Limos are very expensive.  We priced out a limo to take us from church to reception site (about 2 miles) it was over $200.  Ridiculous, I would rather walk.
    sad
  • edited December 2011
    I would say flowers.  I know they are beautiful but I'm not even having a lot and the price killed me.  I can justify everything else but this just kills me.  AND I went with a great florist, don't get me wrong, her prices are more than fair and she's great but all for something that is just going to die?  Bummer.

I'm surprised your alterations were all that much.  I had to have repairs to my dress (it was a sample) and the hemming and bustling and it was all under $150, I believe.  This is all at one of the more pricey bridal salons in town, too. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • edited December 2011
    At this point chairs, tables and linens are the WORST! I really didn't expect a quote of $1300 for only about 150 people for the reception alone - UGH! I did end up getting cheaper linens through our caterer which made the chairs and tables price a little easier to swallow. Also, it really bothered me at first that our church/ceremony fee is so high. But we have been very pleased with how nice the pastor is and the church is absolutely B-E-A-UTIFUL! I bought my dress bustles and cleaned but I still need it pressed. I almost cried when a lady at a bridal salon told me it could run me around $150 for just steaming! Any suggestions on places that won't break the bank?
    edited December 2011
    No way it will cost that much to steam!  And if it does, buy one! haha

Marella, that's a reason we didn't go with a church either.  $1000 rental? NO.  I thought extortion was wrong?
  • edited December 2011
    The biggest thing that really bothered me was that the price per person at my venue was increased because I was having a wedding, not an anniversary or birthday party, which would have been a lesser fee. That also applies to most of my vendors.
  • edited December 2011
    Amoro - I actually know someone with a streamer but I was told that taffeta (my dress material) is a hard fabric to steam.

And out of everything, I thought the church would be in the most flexible with price. Again, we really love the pastor just NOT that price tag that goes along with it!

I guess we just have to compromise on some things when planning a wedding. Like someone said above, if you put 'wedding' or 'bridal' in front of something the price only goes up. If I didn't hate wedding planning so much, I might consider going into the business! HA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards