Connecticut

I need a reality check

I have been searching for a place to get my hair done (and possibly makeup) in the Hartford area, but I'm having a hard time stomaching the prices. I just looked at Borrowed and Blue and its $200 for my hair! I'm not having a veil, or really any headpiece, and I want a simple twist...I just can't wrap my head around these costs! That doesn't even begin to cover makeup - I think I might do my own since I'm already a makeup nut and have a bunch of stuff. 

Should I just expect this? Should I come to terms with the fact that I will be shelling out this much money for someone to do my hair? Give it to me straight!

I'm mostly worried about my BM's. I can't afford to pay for hair if they want it (and I don't care if they just wear their hair down or in a pony tail - really whatever makes them happy) and I don't want to pick a place that is too pricey. They all know that I can't do their hair, but a few of them still want to pay to get it done. Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I need a reality check

• Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $100-125 for hair I can see (that includes a trial too). $200 is a bit much though and you can definitely find someone to do it for cheaper.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    You can find cheaper...around $100 is what I seem to be finding
    Anniversary
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree- you can definitely find less expensive places that do a great job
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Larissa Lake (www.larissalakemakeupartist.com) and she comes to you, bridal hair is $85 and it's less for bridesmaids.  Because she's travelling to me for the wedding, I'll end up paying about $250 for hair and makeup combined for me, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be worth it.  Still a better deal than what you are quoting, so you might want to give her a call - she is in Wethersfield, so she's closer to you than she is to my wedding in Mystic!  She came extremely highly recommended to me, and I can tell you more personally after my hair trial the week before my wedding.
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    p.s. I thought $85 was way too much until I started looking around and realizing that updos are just pricey, so $200 sounds completely insane to me.  Also, if you want more details feel free to send me a PM!
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Larissa Lake!! Love her!!! I am using her for my wedding and I couldnt be more excited!! Her work is amazing! and her prices seem really reasonable.. Some other choices that are popular on here are Dana Bartone, Beauty Entourage, Naomi's Salon in West Hartford.. 200 for Hair alone is really high and I wouldnt pay that either!! Good Luck! Hope this Helps!!
    imageAnniversary Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    $200 is definitely a bit too much. I think I spent $125 for my prom back in high school. I am using Dana Bartone out of Cheshire. Her prices are much more reasonable and from what I know she's considered pricey). $85-100 for hair and same for makeup I believe plus travel fees.
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    i agree.. $200 is too much
  • kate1030kate1030 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Larissa Lake! She is very reasonable...
  • edited December 2011
    Ok thanks everyone, I thought that was a bit high - glad to know it is and I'm just not cheap!

I'll check out Larissa Lake and keep checking around salons in the area as well as I don't have a problem going to a salon since our wedding in the evening and I have to keep busy all day!

Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My hair is costing me about $150 and my makeup for me is also $150 for airbrush. I'm using my cousin for hair and Erin Infantino from Simply Gorgeous for makeup. I'm lucky my cousin is awesome. I've used Erin for a few different events and she  is truly amazing at what she does and so nice to work with. I think that if you feel you want to do your makeup yourself that its up to you, just make sure the makeup you use photographs well and conceals well. 
  • edited December 2011

Ditto Larissa, she is very reasonable and seems super nice. I have my trial in two weeks so I will let you know how it goes!

• edited December 2011
    The people who are doing my hair and make-up are fantastic and very reasonably priced! I had them for a wedding I was in last year and hair and make up combo was $65! Very professional and will come to you! I looked so good at that wedding that I used the pictures from it as my Save the Date picture! If you want the contact info let me know and I will get it to you! The company is called Your Day, Your Way and they do a free trial for the brides of course! My trial is in two weeks and I can't wait! Hope this helps! Oh yeah and they are based out of Middletown!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards