Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Date vs. sending invitations a little early

My fiance and I are getting married September 25 of this year.  I was planning on doing a Save-the-Date, but it turns out some people don't know what they are (I've never gotten one for a wedding in my family and my grandmother had no idea what I was talking about).  I'm not too worried about confusing people, since the wording would be very clear that there's an invitation to follow, but I'm wondering if it's necessary. 
Could I just send out the actual invitations in the next month?  I know it's customary to send them out 6-8 weeks before the wedding, but is there any reason not to just send them now?  I do want to do something soon, so out of town guests can start thinking about travel arrangements.
Thanks for any and all advice!

Re: Save the Date vs. sending invitations a little early

• A STD is sent early to make sure out of town guests can start thinking about travel arrangements..the only problem with sending the invites so early..in this case would be 6 months before the wedding is that they tend to forget or lose their invite since there is such a long time between when you are sending them and when the wedding is.

I would send STD's to the OOT guests as well as anyone else you think needs plenty of time to arrange their schedule to attend. You can DIY for the std's to save some money, but i'd advise against sending the invites so early.
  • STDs should be sent at least 6 months before the wedding.  Invites should be sent no more than 10 weeks before. 

If you want to send STDs, send them.  If it says Formal Invitation to Follow, people will figure it out.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • It is WAY too early to send out the actual invitations.  People will lose them, forget about them, and they certainly won't know their schedule this far in advance. 

If you need to give out of town guests a heads up on the date but don't want to send save the dates, just call them or send them an e-mail and let them know that you've set the date and want them to know so they can make travel arrangements.  No big deal.

Your invitations shouldn't go out more than 8 weeks before the wedding, 10 weeks at the very Max.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards