Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Daytime Wedding

I am hoping to get some advice...my fiancee and I are thinking about doing a daytime wedding in Spring of 2013. We are not doing it for the obvious reason of saving money (although that is a nice plus) but instead because I love the idea of the casual atmosphere the day brings as well as the natural lighting the sunlight provides. We would still serve food and alcohol it just may be a different type of both as well as we still plan to have a band for dancing. My question is whether this is a good idea. I have been told people will not enjoy themselves as much and feel comfirtable to dance (something i really want) during the daytime as well as people will think that we did it to save money.

I was hoping for some advice...

Re: Daytime Wedding

• Options
    There is nothing wrong with people thinking you did it to save money.  I wanted a daytime wedding since I wanted the wedding evening to just be my FI (DH at that point) and myself.  But my parents are paying for a good chunk of the wedding so later wedding it is.  It doesn't matter what people think as long as you and your FI are happy with your decision.

I think a daytime wedding would be fun.  People will enjoy themselves, but probably wouldn't drink as much during the day as they would at night.  If you have people that love dancing, dancing will happen.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    A daytime wedding can be lovely, but the reception tends to be shorter, with less drinking, and less dancing.  If you really dancing and a big party atmosphere, have an evening wedding.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_daytime-wedding-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:2cfb984d-fe25-4b3c-b5ba-4fd01d52907aPost:b9b8f535-5f9a-480a-8913-5b88c53ca253">Re: Daytime Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]A daytime wedding can be lovely, but the reception tends to be shorter, with less drinking, and less dancing.  If you really dancing and a big party atmosphere, have an evening wedding.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

ITA with this.

We considered a brunch wedding and I am always envious of them when I see them because I think they are lovely, AND you still have the evening to keep the party going, or just relax, etc.  I loved our evening wedding but we were really tired at the end of it.

In the end, we decided we DID want the party with drinking and dancing so that is what we had.  It is simply a matter of what you prefer.  But I do agree with the PP that the overall feel of the wedding will be different during the day versus the evening.
  • Options
    We had a daytime wedding.  We had it on a Sunday for religious reasons, so we wanted people to have time to travel after the wedding (although it ended up being on a holiday weekend), and DH and I just aren't night owls any more.  Our ceremony started at 1, and then we had a 5-hour cocktail hour and reception.  We had a full open bar, full meal, and a live band. 

People stayed for the whole time--you know your crowd, but I actually think that our crowd was more likely to stay for the whole thing with the earlier timeframe.  The dance floor was packed; we actually got so caught up in open dancing that our venue coordinator had to interrupt us to make sure we got in our parent dances.  It's possible that people drank less since it was the daytime, but people definitely enjoyed the bar.
  • Options
    I've never attended a daytime wedding actually but I think each time of day has its pros and cons, like others have pointed out. I personally would probably still get out and dance because I love dancing and would have a good time regardless, but I think overall, you'll get more of a  party vibe if you have it at night. It really just depends on what you and FI want to focus on, as there are perks to both.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_daytime-wedding-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:2cfb984d-fe25-4b3c-b5ba-4fd01d52907aPost:4bc6d197-5d7d-4896-ae1b-952cbdc1e79d">Daytime Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]II have been told people will not enjoy themselves as much and feel comfirtable to dance (something i really want) during the daytime as well as people will think that we did it to save money. Posted by katiesthilaire[/QUOTE]
    So what if people think you did it to save money? I would be more judgmental if I knew the couple went into debt for the wedding or their parents emptied their 401Ks for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards