Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Fresh Flower cake topper help

Hello ladies! 
I am in a bit of a bind, you could say, about how to top my cake.  I want to do a bunch of fresh blue hydrangea on top of the cake.  My florist said it would cost $100 and the bakery said sugar flowers would cost $50.
I dont want to spend that much for either as I am already over budget with everything else. 
Getting to my point.... Has anyone put their own fresh cut flowers in their cake?  I am thinking of just getting a few stems of hydrangea that morning and using florist water picks: http://www.benfranklincrafts.com/servlet/the-40417/WATER-PICK-4-dsh-3-fdsh-4-10-fdsh-PKG-dsh-/Detail
Is this the way to do it?  Just put the stem in and stick in the cake?
Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA!!!  Laughing
Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 164 Invited so far! image 53 Are ready to party!
image 10 Will be missing out image 101 Are MIA

Re: Fresh Flower cake topper help

• edited December 2011
    You know that hydrangeas are toxic, right?

http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/blflowersnot.htm

Get some other (non toxic, and not sprayed with pesticides) flowers yourself and ask the baker to put them in place.
  • edited December 2011
    I have seen a lot of pics of cakes with real hydrangeas on top and yet, I have read that they are poisonous... 
    I've read that as long as you don't directly eat it, the cake should be fine.  It will only be on the top tier and will be removed once cut into and served. 
    I've also read that it should be okay using those water picks.  Was just hoping to use hydrangea as that is the main flower at the wedding reception...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    The sap in them is toxic too, so that any part of them that touches the cake really shouldn't be eaten. So, even if you put the stems in those water capsules (which I don't think would work in the cake just because of their size... you risk breaking the cake itself), anywhere that touches a bloom would be contaminated.

No one is going to hate on you for using a different flower than one used at the rest of your reception... especially if it prevents you from unintentionally poisoning a guest!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh well....  I guess I'll have to spend the $50 for the cake topper, I wouldn't want to risk poisoning anyone. 
    Thanks anyways :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    could you maybe get a different type of blue flower like roses or gerberas. Just try using  google and it comes up with lots of blue flower arrangments that don't have hydrangeas in them. Maybe they'll be cheaper too! Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Just a thought... you could use silk hydrangeas and add in another fresh flower or two.  Michaels has some silk hydrangeas on sale that look very real.  If you mix a little fresh roses or another flower you are using it will work fine and no one will know the difference. 
    Good Luck
    Let the Lord Lead... and follow Him.
  • laurenbergherlaurenbergher member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cut a circle out of white cardboard and put the hydrangeas on that. Then the flowers never actually touch the cake.  Also, never push the stem into the cake.  No one wants to bite into their wedding cake and chow down on a plant.  Cut off enough of the stem so that the flower lays well when you place it down.  The cardboard should protect the cake from any toxins.  Keep the flowers on the top tier only, though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards