Not Engaged Yet
Options

PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?

I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and I need opinions. I HATE dress shopping and was wondering what you guys think of this one that I already have. BF thinks it looks too much like I'm going to work (I have worn this to work a couple of times). I would have my hair down, makeup done, and I'll add some jewlery if that makes a difference. You can't tell in the pic, but those are heels I'm wearing. Oh, and of course I'll be ironing it if I decide to go with this one. Yay or nay for this outfit? TIA!

Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?

• Options
    I also have this one, which I wore to a wedding a couple of years ago. BF voted for this dress:

• Options
    What material is the first one? It does look like a work dress especially paired with the cardigan.

• Options
    melmac86melmac86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I'm not sure what it is, but yeah that's what he said also. I dug up another dress from my closet that's similar to the second one, but with purple accents instead of pink. I'm gonna try that one on.
  • Options
    Oh I really like the second dress!

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:0a379870-141e-4922-84ec-ec5b46d35ede">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I really like the second dress!
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I can only seem to find one of those shoes in that pic. I'm on a manhunt trying to find the other one.
  • Options
    I think both would work, but it could also depend on the 'style' of the wedding.

Since it's summer though, my vote leans more towards the second dress.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would go with the second one. It is much more flattering on you and I think it looks more appropriate for a wedding than the first one.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:adc06810-5ed1-4b5a-87cb-8c117cfab49e">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think both would work, but it could also depend on the 'style' of the wedding. Since it's summer though, my vote leans more towards the second dress.
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

I'm leaning that way too. I'm not sure the style of the wedding. The invitation doesn't say "black tie" or anything like that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:d3273090-0b3c-44d7-9a79-952294bfb7d6">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go with the second one. It is much more flattering on you and I think it looks more appropriate for a wedding than the first one.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I found my other shoe, so that's a good thing :)
  • Options
    yay for finding both shoes, you gorgeous in that pic. 

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:09bc059f-176b-4e60-af9d-19debf4f1347">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]yay for finding both shoes, you gorgeous in that pic. 
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

Aww you're too sweet. Thank you.
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    I agree with PPs that the first one is more professional looking.  I like the 2nd one.  It's very cute!
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    I am giving my vote for the second dress. I just love that print on it and I think it really flatters your body. Totally cute!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks SKP and Texas. BF will be glad to hear me tell him he was right :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:29ad98c7-243d-4804-8a29-2fc610d27514">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks SKP and Texas. BF will be glad to hear me tell him he was right :)
    Posted by melmac86[/QUOTE]

Men always are. :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The 2nd dress is adorable! :)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I actually prefer the first one, with jewelry, different shoes and no cardigan.  I think the second one looks too much like a sundress.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:403b7fd9-a849-476f-95df-f8d132696691">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The 2nd dress is adorable! :)
    Posted by kaitlynmichelle[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:a5bd1bb7-3677-478d-892a-d26f16b80e8d">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually prefer the first one, with jewelry, different shoes and no cardigan.  I think the second one looks too much like a sundress.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that's interesting. What kind of shoes are you thinking? I don't have any others that would match.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:6a2ed8bf-e61a-4f11-9603-845c054b854f">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking? : Hmm, that's interesting. What kind of shoes are you thinking? I don't have any others that would match.
    Posted by melmac86[/QUOTE]

Nude pumps.  I really dislike heels that look like flip flops - they seem overly casual to me.  I would do chunky gold jewelry as well - a bracelet and earrings, the neckline of the dress is interesting on its own.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_pip-this-dress-ok-for-a-wedding-or-too-workprofessional-looking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:494a2eec-21af-4afd-8ee4-dd70b6060e7fPost:23ab8313-ad7c-4cca-825c-59f33d1b1ca3">Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PIP - This dress ok for a wedding or too work/professional looking? : Nude pumps.  I really dislike heels that look like flip flops - they seem overly casual to me.  I would do chunky gold jewelry as well - a bracelet and earrings, the neckline of the dress is interesting on its own.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

i2i, Pee k.
  • Options
    I like the second dress.  the first one looks too much like a work dress.  :(

is the wedding in a church?  you might need a cardi or something to cover your shoulders if they have certain rules like that.  maybe something sparkly.  I love bling.
  • Options
    I like the second one as well =)
    Daisypath Friendship tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all the opinions. I can see nude pumps working for the first dress, I'm just not sure if I'd be able to find any in time. The ceremony is at a church, so if I go with the second dress I'd wear a small cardigan over it. Maybe I just need to go to a few stores tonight and find something different altogether. I'm not good at being a girl. I don't like this stuff. I'm glad I have you guys to come to for help, because I can't afford a personal stylist. Laughing  I should probably be on an episode of What Not To Wear.
  • Options
    Macys is having a one day sale tomorrow - what time is the ceremony?

You shouldn't have a hard time finding nude pumps this time of year - they are very popular in the spring/summer.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    I would honestly go for the buying a new dress option. The first does look a work outfit, but the second is too informal and too young IMHO. I would invest in a nice dress, especially because you can wear it again to a wedding in the future.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    melmac86melmac86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    The ceremony is at 2 so I would have time to go in the morning, but I ended up picking a different dress anyway. I have been wanting a pair of nude pumps so maybe I'll still go. Thanks again to all for the opinions/advice/thoughts!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards