Wedding Etiquette Forum

F/U to steampunk: We went shopping

I think the fuucker might have me convinced on the tails.

Here he is in the cutaway:

And the tailcoat:

Don't mind the shoes and pants - obviously he will wear something more appropriate.
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: F/U to steampunk: We went shopping

• I have to admit, he does look pretty good in the tails, although I'm having a hard time not letting the shoes distract me. :) Can I also have pizza even though I answered tails?
  • I like the cutaway. Tails make me think Disney prince, but that just may be me.
  • AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2010
    I dig the CUTAWAY.  A lot.  I think the perfect dress to go with it would be the last one I posted in your original thread. :D

ETA:  WTF is wrong with my brain today?  I keep looking back at posts and seeing ginormous typos.
  • I think the cutaway looks really good, actually... so if he actually wanted my opinion, that's what I'd give.

However, the tails aren't so bad (and I know he wants them).

For the record, I also think "Pizza," but I can't vote twice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Pizza is an excellent choice no matter what you actually voted. :)

He just drives me nuts - looking so freaking good in everything.
    imageimage
  • I like the cutaway best.
  • not gonna lie, neither one sparked my intrest. But if i had to choose between the two I'd choose the cutaway. But my opinion doesnt count because I am a fan of suits for weddings not tuxs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • I don't like either one, but if I HAD to pick one, I'd pick the cutaway fo sho.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Um, I actually like them both equally and think your FI looks really good in both (I know, way to be helpful, sorry), so I voted for pizza. So I guess I do have an opinion, and it is that this is a no-fail decision. I think the cutaway emphasizes his tall, lean frame and looks smoother. The tails emphasize his wide shoulders. Question: do either jackets button, and if so would he button them?

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • WAIT. I  think that maybe his pants are throwing me off and it might not have anything to do with the coat at all....
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Yeah what a terrible thing having a fi who constantly looks fabulous. Good thing I don't have that problem. ;)

Kidding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-steampunk-went-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:53bfe038-f2ad-4ecc-aabf-aa41f856bf6cPost:6a4d212a-eefd-4bb1-a75b-6c2706260170">Re: F/U to steampunk: We went shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Um, I actually like them both equally and think your FI looks really good in both (I know, way to be helpful, sorry), so I voted for pizza. So I guess I do have an opinion, and it is that this is a no-fail decision. I think the cutaway emphasizes his tall, lean frame and looks smoother. The tails emphasize his wide shoulders. Question: do either jackets button, and if so would he button them?
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

The cutaway coat has a button on it, and the tailcoat does not. I don't think either was the right size exactly - he measures 39 inches around the chest and is very tall with long arms, and the tailcoat was a 40 regular, so it could probably be tailored a little closer to his body, and we would need a tall size. The sleeves on the tailcoat were like 3/4 sleeves on him.

Either way, I feel better about the whole long coat thing and I think I am going to let it go. He already told the geekier of his two brothers about the steampunk idea and said brother is now squealing happily at us via text message. They're a cute bunch of boys.

Our moms are going to flip when they see these pictures.
    imageimage
  • I like the cutaway slightly more but I'm finding the pants and shoes really distracting.  Also, I kinda want to reserve judgment until you pick your dress. 
  • He looks awesome either way :) Woo hoo hottie!
  • Sarah, your description of how your FI is telling his brother about this made me smile. He doesn't look awful, he actually looks good, and it seems to mean a lot to him. I like it because it's different, but not tacky different. H wore little power symbol cufflinks (which I got for him) because I knew he wouldn't want to look cookie-cutter or too traditional. But neither of us are big into fashion, so it was not difficult to make choices like that. I dig the steampunk idea, and I'm sure you'll get your way with many of the other planning ideas. Like your dress! When are you going to start shopping lady?

Sorry, I just realized this probably belongs in your other thread, but I haven't quite read through that one yet.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-steampunk-went-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:53bfe038-f2ad-4ecc-aabf-aa41f856bf6cPost:37c1bb59-69a8-445c-8933-cc51ddb95ae8">Re: F/U to steampunk: We went shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah, your description of how your FI is telling his brother about this made me smile. He doesn't look awful, he actually looks good, and it seems to mean a lot to him. I like it because it's different, but not tacky different. H wore little power symbol cufflinks (which I got for him) because I knew he wouldn't want to look cookie-cutter or too traditional. But neither of us are big into fashion, so it was not difficult to make choices like that. I dig the steampunk idea, and I'm sure you'll get your way with many of the other planning ideas. Like your dress! When are you going to start shopping lady? <strong>Sorry, I just realized this probably belongs in your other thread, but I haven't quite read through that one yet.</strong>

Nah it's cool. I'm being a big old AW/PW today.

I've sort of started shopping. I'm not at my ideal weight, and also I keep changing my mind, so I'm trying to wait to shop seriously until I'm more sure of what my mind and body are going to be doing at wedding time. I'm planning on starting shopping with intent to buy sometime around June, and until then it's all just browsing.
    imageimage
  • That sounds good. :) I did the same thing, except my plan didn't quite work and I lost all the weight after I picked the dress (incredibly lucky for me). Well, can't wait to see what you try on! Do you anticipate a change in your body shape if you do the triathlon as planned?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fu-steampunk-went-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:53bfe038-f2ad-4ecc-aabf-aa41f856bf6cPost:e251d56a-9b30-4a61-9db2-d3c23eb1935b">Re: F/U to steampunk: We went shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sounds good. :) I did the same thing, except my plan didn't quite work and I lost all the weight after I picked the dress (incredibly lucky for me). Well, can't wait to see what you try on! <strong>Do you anticipate a change in your body shape if you do the triathlon as planned?</strong>

That's the plan! I also know that I'm capable of being in better shape, because I've done it before. I'd just like it to peak on August 13, 2011. :)
    imageimage
  • Oops.

Dear Sarahnumbers,
    Sorry I'm an idiot and didn't look at your updated bio before asking all kinds of dumb questions as though you hadn't done any dress shopping. I like both dresses from your first dress trial, and the second one looks like it has a similar lace/beading pattern on the main fabric to my dress. So obviously I'm a little biased. :) p.s. You look lovely, and I hope you also get what you want out of the training.

• Amoro, those are gorgeous. I like the last two. The beading on the second to last one looks very 1920s to me, and the top on the last one reminds me of Brie's dress. Very pretty.

Sarah, I think your thread has been jacked, or at least the focus has been, from FI to you. :)

• I picked pizza because I'm hungry and pg, but I like the cutaway better.  But I do agree with everyone that it depends on your dress and everything.  They both look good on him, though.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • He looks hot in both but tails!
  • Amoro, I like those gowns! It will be fun when it's time for me to start trying things on for real. I'm sure you guys will be hearing plenty about it.

Beatles, not sure if you saw the second page of my first thread today, but I may have expressed a particular liking for your dress...... :)
    imageimage
  • Cutaway, but I'm biased because that's what DH wore ;)
  • Oh jeez, I am just all kinds of out of it today. I just read it, thank you! I love your ideas of how you'd accessorize a dress like that. I think it would strike the right note of what you're looking for. Also, you definitely have the right proportions for that kind of dress. I needed a little more, uh, structure underneath to help me out on top. :) Now I'm even more excited for your dress shopping.

Sucrets, thanks for outing yourself as the other pizza voter. I was wondering. We actually have some leftover pizza from a local gourmet pizza bar we just found... I'd offer you some, but you can just pick up a fresh one this summer. ;)

• I'm late on this and didn't read through the entire thread, but I like the cutaway with his shoes.  I don't know the style of your wedding, but I think the shoes kinda make it. I'm  a little jealous tha my FI isn't as funky.

10.ten.10 My Bio Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 175 Invited to Party!
    image 119 Are ready to party!
    image 56 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • I tried posting before, got an error message.

But I like the cutaway with the shoes. I think its just funky enough, but not sure if thats the style of your wedding. 
    10.ten.10 My Bio Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 175 Invited to Party!
    image 119 Are ready to party!
    image 56 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • he looks pretty dang good in the cutaway.

Glenna Harding Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards