Honeymoon Discussions

timeshare or book our own?

Hi Ladies! My fiance's parents have a timeshare and they are willing to let us use it.  However, for the places we want, they would have to do an exchange, but right now there is no availability so we would have to go on a waitlist.  Do you think we should do the waitlist and see what opens up or should we book ourself.  We do have time, we are 10 months out till the date.  Is it smartest to take the free honeymoon if we can (and compromise for a place) or to book what we really want but spend about 4,000?  SO CONFUSED!!!

Re: timeshare or book our own?

• what's the cancellation penalty if you book at the resort you want to go to? what i'm saying is if you put in the request and book the resort if the request goes through great-cancel the resort. if the request doesn't go through you still have the resort booked.

in either case i'd wait and see. where are you trying to exchange into? sometims it pays to wait.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare-or-book-our-own?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:c472ecca-777f-4685-97b0-4b6c048d518aPost:58b9fd2b-e99b-4213-9b69-4341bb1b277d">Re: timeshare or book our own?</a>:
    [QUOTE]what's the cancellation penalty if you book at the resort you want to go to? what i'm saying is if you put in the request and book the resort if the request goes through great-cancel the resort. if the request doesn't go through you still have the resort booked. in either case i'd wait and see. where are you trying to exchange into? sometims it pays to wait.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.  When you have a timeshare in let's say, aruba, and you want to go to Barbados, then you usually have to go on a waitlist to exchange with someone who has a timeshare in Barbados but doesn't want to use it during that time.  So, essentially, you are borrowing or swapping out your timeshare for somewhere else.  You can only swap out if someone that owns their timeshare in that particular place decides that they don't want to go that year. 
  • Glamorous, the PP was saying you should go on the waitlist AND book a room yourselves separately, as long as there isn't a fee or problem with you canceling the room you booked yourself if you end up getting a room through the waitlist. 

That way you already have a room booked and a place to go no matter what. 

But if there is a huge fee to cancel a booked room, then you shouldn't do that, and perhaps instead just go on the waitlist and see if any exchanges come up. 
  • I would wait for now because you have enough time and see what opens up. A free honeymoon is definitely worth it in my opinion.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_timeshare-or-book-our-own?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:c472ecca-777f-4685-97b0-4b6c048d518aPost:87f2d2c0-add8-45a3-8abc-6ef80bf59fe5">Re: timeshare or book our own?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Glamorous, the PP was saying you should go on the waitlist AND book a room yourselves separately, as long as there isn't a fee or problem with you canceling the room you booked yourself if you end up getting a room through the waitlist.  That way you already have a room booked and a place to go no matter what.  But if there is a huge fee to cancel a booked room, then you shouldn't do that, and perhaps instead just go on the waitlist and see if any exchanges come up. 
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

exactly.

• You can also ask the timeshare company how popular the resort is that you want to trade into. For example, I have a Marriott timeshare and trade through Interval, and have tried for four years to trade into the Westin on St. John. On average, Interval only receives FOUR weeks a year from the Westin, making it almost impossible to get it. Are you planning to go to Barbados? We went for our HM last fall. We didn't use our timeshare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards