Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

father/daughter song help (i am not close to my dad)

I may have one dance with him even though we are not close (and my mom is walking me, anyways)

Ideas on cute songs that aren't the typical "daddys little girl" types of songs?

Thanks in advance :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: father/daughter song help (i am not close to my dad)

• tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like The Beatles' "I Will" for people looking for something that's not too mushy. The lyrics are still sweet, but it's a bit more upbeat.

If you're uncomfortable with this, it's okay to skip. FI and I are only doing our first dance as a "spotlight" that everyone has to watch. We'll probably just ask our parents or whoever to dance at some random point in the night, which sounds like it might be a good idea for you.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would pick something that is fun to dance to instead of one of the sappy, slow dances. That way there isn't a lot of touching or long bouts of eye contact. A fun oldie might be a good choice, like something from the Jackson 5.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My father and I will be dancing to I loved her first by heartland. Its really sweet and my daddy told me when it came out that every time he hears it he thinks of me so I couldnt think of a better song. Good luck to you
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • jaclyndohertyjaclyndoherty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm going with "Can you feel the love tonight" because I only make it home twice a year and whenever I am home my dad asks me if I can feel the love because I get spoiled.
  • nannewmurnannewmur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Guest usually enjoy watching the bride and groom and usually find the other dances not a lot of fun to watch unless couple are very good dancers.  Assuming you know the majority of your guests, your mom is walking you and you said you are not close to your father, do yourself and your guests a favor and just skip this and it will be one less thing to worry about.  If you feel you have to do this, like pp said, do something fun.  What about Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely?"  My daughter is probably going to do this because this came out when she was born.

• Emma_MaeEmma_Mae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I like  "I Get a Kick Out of You" by Sinatra.  It is such a cute song & my dad always cracks me up...so it fits pretty perfect.

• edited December 2011
    We went with "Lullabye" by Billy Joel.  It seems appropraite, since it he wrote it for Alexa.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that "Isn't she lovely" by stevie wonder is a good song and not typical daddy's girl song.
    Soon to be MRS!
  • mcramble1mcramble1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a little different but me and my dad are dancing to sweet child of mine. I knew I would fall apart to any of the mushy ones, so I picked a fun one thats more our style!
  • edited December 2011
    My father and I aren't close either. However, when I was little and we were closer we used to listen to a lot of James Taylor. He's got some good sweet songs, but nothing about dads and daughters. We're probably going to dance to "How Sweet It Is."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards