Outdoor Weddings

XP: Math Genius Needed!!

Has anyone bought their own lighting for their tent or made garlands to hang?  I'm having a horrible time figuring out the length of lighting and garlands considering they'll be going from the edge of the tent to the middle and you'll have an angle because the middle of the tent being higher than the sides.  Any math geniuses know how to help me out here?  Is there some formula I need??

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
hide
Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
"And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011

Re: XP: Math Genius Needed!!

• Well, you could use the Pythagorean Theorem (a squared + b squared = c squared) if you set it up as a right triangle - it sounds like you would be needing to find the hypotenuse (the longest side). However, you would need to know the legs of the triangle - one would be the length from the side of the tent directly to the middle (you could even measure along the ground) but the other one is tricky b/c you would need to know the distance from the edge of the tent straight up to where the highest point would be. You can find this if you know the height of the highest point and then subtract the height of the edge of the tent (from the ground up).

But, as you can see, it's a bit complicated to try and explain it in words without pictures, so . . . my advice is just measure the distance straight across and then add a but more (maybe a third or so). The higher the "angle" is, the more you'll need.  Good luck!

BTW, I'm a HS math teacher Laughing
    Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards