Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Who's working today

Re: Who's working today

• edited December 2011
    I am working from home.  The weather where I am is crap.  The roads are covered and it still looks like a blizzard.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My start time isn't until 2, but I'm going to give my boss a call around 11 to see what time he wants me in.

If it's going to be snowing like this all day, it's not worth it .  And I really wouldn't mind a 4 day weekend ;)
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • edited December 2011
    We have a snow day.  I get that it's windy and crappy out, but Colin made it to work OK this morning.  Im just annoyed because this now means that we've taken too many snow days and will lose a day from spring break as a result.  Really not happy with a lot of school board's decisions on the calendar this year.  No President's Day off, no MLK day off (yes, really, the kids weren't in school but we had an in-service), now this.
  • edited December 2011
    I am here! But I am leaving at 4 so I am excited about that.
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm on a snow day. I work for an early learning center so we work all year round.  No room for make-ups and when the kids are off, we usually have professional development days.  I appreciate snow days.  FI had to work though but he can take public trans.  His office is closing early. 

I spent the morning with a shovel and will spend my afternoon with the vacuum.  I'm gonna make a great wife LOL!  A women's work is never done :-)
    Photobucket
  • dch167dch167 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have off today. The school district I work for has NO built in snow days so we are now going to be going to school until June 22nd...

• edited December 2011
    Um, dch, you're still pretty lucky.  Our last in-service day is also th 22nd.  And I just lost a day of spring break. And we didn't have presidents day or MLK off this year. 

Count your blessings!  I am crabby. :P
  • teachyoubioteachyoubio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a snow day today and I am so thankful because 2 more of my students were killed yesterday, just a month after the death of another.  It was hard enough seeing the kids sobbing in the hall yesterday, I was not ready to do it again today.  Please keep their families in your prayers.  
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I have a snow day today and I am so thankful because 2 more of my students were killed yesterday, just a month after the death of another.  It was hard enough seeing the kids sobbing in the hall yesterday, I was not ready to do it again today.  Please keep their families in your prayers.  
    Posted by teachyoubio@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

So sorry to hear this - will do. Where do you teach, if you don't mind my asking?  Thanks for posting...makes me count my blessings that as challenging and frustrating as teaching in general is, my students and are at least blessed to go to school over spring break in a place where we're all relatively safe. 

FYI - you may want to consider changing your Knot name to something that isn't your e-mail address so you don't receive lots of spam.  It happens a lot, no worries.  Just make a new account.
  • LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whos-working-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:35d22e2d-7a5f-4cf1-b35f-377d1bd0f7bePost:968fd839-e9ee-4e59-831c-1138afb31125">Re: Who's working today?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a snow day today and I am so thankful because 2 more of my students were killed yesterday, just a month after the death of another.  It was hard enough seeing the kids sobbing in the hall yesterday, I was not ready to do it again today.  Please keep their families in your prayers.  

Wow, this really puts into perspective how it's really not that bad that I'm at work today. I just got here, as I couldn't even get out of the neighborhood until 9:30, but it looks like it's going to be a fairly quiet day (and I wouldn't mind if we closed early)!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I teach at Interboro High School...the incident was all over the news last night..."two girls killed by a train in Norwood"  One of the students I personally taught this year, so it just made it that much worse when her seat was empty at the end of the day yesterday and no one could say anything.  They definitely don't teach you how to deal with this in college.
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whos-working-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:35d22e2d-7a5f-4cf1-b35f-377d1bd0f7bePost:68c67f63-5608-4bb5-91d3-c6456e967d00">Re: Who's working today?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I teach at Interboro High School...the incident was all over the news last night..."two girls killed by a train in Norwood"  One of the students I personally taught this year, so it just made it that much worse when her seat was empty at the end of the day yesterday and no one could say anything.  They definitely don't teach you how to deal with this in college.

That's terrible to hear.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Those families will definitely be in my thoughts as well as you and the other teachers and students.  I lost a student to brain cancer  last year so I sort of understand what you're feeling.  My loss was not sudden though so this must be extremely difficult.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Thinking of you for sure, teachyoubio.
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always find it funny when teacher complain about having to make-up school days because of snow. 
    You get two months off from work every year!  haha! 
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • dch167dch167 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't even imagine having to deal with the death of one of my own students. I am very sorry for you, your students, and their families.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whos-working-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:35d22e2d-7a5f-4cf1-b35f-377d1bd0f7bePost:bec6dfe6-f8b2-492a-89db-b8f645963988">Re: Who's working today?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always find it funny when teacher complain about having to make-up school days because of snow.  You get two months off from work every year!  haha! 
    Posted by Amerbutt81[/QUOTE]

Actually, up to this point I've tended to spend my summers taking multiple graduate classes, attending workshops to design and plan curriculum for the following year/figure out how to implement the latest ridiculous district initiative,
    and re-planning/redesigning lessons taught the previous year.  I usually spend a good chunk of August in my classroom unpacking everything and gearing up for the following school year.  Last year I spent most of my summer in a hectic shock because on top of grad classes and planning my wedding/getting married, I was told I'd be moving grades.  Two two weeks before my wedding I was in school meeting with the 6th grade teachers to figure out how all the "new" stuff would work. 

Many teachers in my district take on summer jobs, as well, to make ends meet because the pay (even in one of the highest-achieving public school districtin PA) is just not that great for all the work we put in.  They tutor, teach summer school, or take on a seasonal kid-free job in retail or some other field.

I hate to be getting on my high horse, LB, but this is one of the things that people always think is funny and it's just not to me, but rather is a major misconception about the profession.  Summers off is a myth....as is the fact that we only have to work 9-3 (I personally put in time from about 7:00-4:30 every day, if not a little longer).  At least you didn't call me a gorified babysitter. 

Teachers are some of the hardest working professionals in the world, and we tend to get very little recognition from the public for what we do.
  • dch167dch167 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well said, LRM.
  • edited December 2011
    Teachy - I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that.  I actually heard from someone I work with who's sister goes to that school at it was a suicide pact.  A third girl was supposed to be involved and watched the whole thing.

I am at work today and will be here all day.  Lots of people called out though so it's either going to be quiet or busy for me.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whos-working-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:35d22e2d-7a5f-4cf1-b35f-377d1bd0f7bePost:b978f6fd-a1e2-445c-aa44-d845e341a649">Re: Who's working today?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well said, LRM.
    Posted by dch167[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention the part where we're also limited to ONLY taking vacations during the already-scheduled times "off" we have.  So whereas people in the business world can take time off whenever they need it or want to save some cash by traveling in the off-season, I am stuck traveling always at peak times when lifhgts are expensive and  I will be surrounded by kids off from school on vacation.  I am also not allowed to take days off before or after a scheduled break unless I take it as an unpaid day with special permission from my principal. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_whos-working-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:35d22e2d-7a5f-4cf1-b35f-377d1bd0f7bePost:fd1bb1ec-15f4-4b08-8092-0a95aa00ce32">Re: Who's working today?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's working today? : I forgot to mention the part where we're also limited to ONLY taking vacations during the already-scheduled times "off" we have.  So whereas people in the business world can take time off whenever they need it or want to save some cash by traveling in the off-season, I am stuck traveling always at peak times when lifhgts are expensive and  I will be surrounded by kids off from school on vacation.  I am also not allowed to take days off before or after a scheduled break unless I take it as an unpaid day with special permission from my principal. 
    Posted by LaRositaMonita[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I hate that everything is filled with kids when I have off!  I know I'm horrible, but it's true.  The flights is a good point as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>I did work, but I'm home now.  :-)

</div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, it was a suicide pact...that 3rd girl was a brother of another of my students, who happened to be in my class. her brother ran out of my class before the incident happened, so it must have been well known what was going to happen.  it is such a shame at the age of 15 and 16 that kids feel like there isn't anything left to live for.

i also have to agree with everything that lrm said.  i work my butt off all school year, as well as the summer.  if i were to take them time i spent doing school related things...planning, grading, professional development...and spread it out through an entire year...i still average 50 hour work weeks...much more than most offices put in. plus i have a degree in biology which would make me much more money working in a lab than teaching, but teaching is much more fulfilling...especially when you have a kid come back and tell you how much you have impacted their life...not too many other professions can say that!
  • edited December 2011
    I saw that story on the news yesterday and was thinking about it all night. So sad... I hope the kids are doing okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    also well-said, teach! 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm at work, we;re one of the few preschools openned.  We have NEVER had a snow day. We conly got to close early during the last snow strom and that was at 530 since it was a state of emergencey and a infant's parents couldn't come get him.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards