Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Venue won't allow my cake!

I have just come across my very first hitch in the wedding plans..

We have booked our venue and paid the deposit, however when I contacted the venue manager to see if they charged a cake cutting fee, I was informed that you are not allowed to bring any outside food into the venue - including a wedding cake! Something to do with if anyone gets sick they could be sued.

I asked if I could bring the cake, (I have something specific in mind) cut it and then not serve it, but they are adamant that this is against their rules and that I must use their cakes (which are boring and expensive).

I do not want to change the venue, but I feel I am being taken advatage of. 

Any advice would be helpful...? 

Re: Venue won't allow my cake!

• edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, many venues have these policies. If you want a cake, you're just going to have to go with theirs. I don't necessarily think they are taking advantage of you.. because this is a policy that they have for all brides and it protects their business.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this in the contract that you signed?  If it is (and it probably is) you aren't being taken advantage of; you agreed to it.  Our venue contract was seven pages long and I sat there and read every single word of it before signing.  Anything that was remotely unclear, I asked for an explanation, wrote it in and had the owner initial it.  I know this is too late for you but hopefully it will help any brides who haven't booked a venue yet.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • erinlister02erinlister02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm our venue didn't have a contract as such, we just booked the date and got a receipt confirmation for the deposit.
    I had been over lots of details with the venue manager prior but this is one question I hadn't asked.
    Fi is disappointed because he wanted a cake in the shape of a cruise ship (where we met, haha bless him). Do you think I could make a pretend cake out of foam or something? Is that really tacky?
    Thanks for all your feedback!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with stage - you need a contract. How do you expect to protect yourself from them overcharging you or suddenly changing what you're allowed and not allowed to do?
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agreed...you really need to request and sign a contract with your venue...it should include things like:

-timing (when are you allowed to arrive and when do you have to leave?)
    -payment schedule
    -tip/gratuity included? and what rate
    -cancellation policy
    -outside vendor allowed for __?
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_venue-wont-allow-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:d6bf4f5d-161f-4492-918f-9f47147abd89Post:a9c87724-5c29-49e9-a531-926acc3e2522">Re: Venue won't allow my cake!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think since we're getting married in Europe, things can be a little different. It's good advice, I think I'll request that they draw one up with the specifics. Thanks!
    Posted by erinlister02[/QUOTE]

Regardless of where you're getting married, you should protect yourself by having paper contracts with all of your vendors! FYI.

I did get married in US, but had to refer back to contracts with 2 differnt vendors b/c they weren't giving me what I paid for and we agreed on.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I've just had a look and there is a contract looking page, but it's all in Swedish. My Fiance has read and signed it. Probably should ask him to make a translation for me! Thanks for the heads up, ladies. 
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    edited December 2011
    haha lol! Good luck!
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is actually really common. The first venue I looked at, and almost booked, required that all outside food had to be prepared in a state licensed kitchen. This doesn't seem like much, but it meant that I would not have been allowed to hand out edible favors unless they were locally in a kitchen licensed in Maine.  Another venue required that food be prepared by someone on their list of approved caterers. 

I hope every thing works out for you!
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_venue-wont-allow-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:d6bf4f5d-161f-4492-918f-9f47147abd89Post:5590f2e4-22ca-4a95-9845-d70ff82d1d18">Re: Venue won't allow my cake!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm our venue didn't have a contract as such, we just booked the date and got a receipt confirmation for the deposit. I had been over lots of details with the venue manager prior but this is one question I hadn't asked. Fi is disappointed because he wanted a cake in the shape of a cruise ship (where we met, haha bless him). Do you think I could make a pretend cake out of foam or something? Is that really tacky? Thanks for all your feedback!
    Posted by erinlister02[/QUOTE]

Why don't you have a groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner and have that one made like a cruise ship.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Several venues in this area have that policy.  Their reasoning is actually good.   They don't want late deliveries... bad food reflects on them...Cutting and design issues need to be considered ahead of time... all sorts of reasons.  

We had lots of part time cake makers around the area and they were causing problems largely with less than professional delivery and quality issues.  The venue now has 2 options they can depend on. 

Will they help you get to the cruiseship cake  made by someone they can live with? 
    If not.. do the groomscake thing... good luck 
  • edited December 2011
    I vote for the groomscake idea.

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the groomscake idea is an excellent compromise

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    groomscake  is a good idea
  • edited December 2011
    Most of the venues in my area will let you bring in outside food as long as it's made by a licensed baker in a licensed/inspected kitchen.  I can see how they want to cover themselves in case anyone gets sick, because the issue then seems to be more about where a person got sick than from what.  We're not using the suggested baker for our cake, since they only do exclusively white cakes and I want a colored mosaic, and they are the Bridal Industrial Complex of the area, with contracts at pretty much every single venue.

I agree with having the groom's cake at the RD. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_venue-wont-allow-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:d6bf4f5d-161f-4492-918f-9f47147abd89Post:3373e6a4-4780-4884-999a-c8a87e8aff96">Re: Venue won't allow my cake!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue won't allow my cake! : <strong>Why don't you have a groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner and have that one made like a cruise ship.
    </strong>Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

This sounds like your best bet. That is if you are havin a RH.
  • edited December 2011
    Well...I am given 100% freedom when it comes to my venue.  So I can't say I feel your pain.  But what I CAN say is ask if you can sign a waiver or an agreement that releases them from liability and see what they say. 

Another idea-Bring your cake in anyway!  Ofc, this is coming from someone that bends rules often. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes I think I will go for the Groomscake at the Rehearsal Dinner. We are not having an official RD but just an informal BBQ the day before so I think it will work well there! They are a stickler for the rules as it is EU law so I don't think I want to test that.

Great ideas, thanks! xx
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards