Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

engagement ring during ceremony

How is everyone wearing their engagment ring during the ceremony? Left hand? right hand??
Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: engagement ring during ceremony

• I wore it on my left hand and DH put my wedding ring over it.  I switched them later on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b9d74cec-8879-41b6-9b76-9e077fd32fabPost:a90810dd-ca83-4645-9171-f47bf30f19f1">Re: engagement ring during ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wore it on my left hand and DH put my wedding ring over it.  I switched them later on.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Same.</div>
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b9d74cec-8879-41b6-9b76-9e077fd32fabPost:a90810dd-ca83-4645-9171-f47bf30f19f1">Re: engagement ring during ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wore it on my left hand and DH put my wedding ring over it.  I switched them later on.
    That's exactly what I did. Some wear their engagement on their right hand, leaving their left hand bare, and then switch it over for the reception. I already have a right-hand ring, so that wasn't an option. 
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I wore my engagement ring on my right hand.  I wanted my husband to put my wedding ring on correctly, which is wedding band first, then engagment ring. I didn't like the idea of immediately taking them off to switch.  I'm weird like that.

I had wanted to tie my engagement ring into my bouquet, but there was no time!
  • jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    Thanks for asking this, as I've been curious as well!
  • catwinecatwine member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I want to keep it on my left hand and have my husband put my wedding ring over top because that's how i'm going to wear them anyways. plus, my ring won't fit on my right hand...
  • Mine isn't a matching set so the e-ring will move to my right hand permanently and FI will put the wedding ring on my left for the wedding.

I totally understand the not wanting to take it off right away. Both of my SIL's had their rings soldered before the wedding so there was no debate. My brother's put both rings on their finger.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wore my engagement ring on my left hand, husband put the wedding band on top of it, and I switched them later on.  Actually, our photographer had to remind me when she was taking pictures of our hands with the rings on.

FWIW, my mom and my friend both wear their rings the "wrong" way...truthfully, it's whatever you prefer.  I don't think yor marriage will be doomed if you choose to wear the engagement ring under the wedding band.
  • I'll wear my engagement ring on my right hand, and then put it on my left after the ceremony.  There really is no right or wrong way to wear your rings.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • I wore mine on the right hand and switched it back (on top of the wedding ring like Joy said) before we did pictures.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • aro1589aro1589 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I'd like to wear my grandmother's ring on my right hand so I'll probably have my mom or MOH hold on to the e-ring
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for asking this. I didn't know there was a proper way to wear the engagement ring and wedding band. Mine are not a matching set but I will have two wedding bands, they will bracket my solitare engagement ring. I imagine I'll switch everything around after the ceremony.
  • mine are a set where the wedding band kind of fits into the engagement ring, so i have no choice but to take it off and get it to the best man before the ceremony so they can be connected correctly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b9d74cec-8879-41b6-9b76-9e077fd32fabPost:c5d98cc0-b665-4dd9-9049-d59a7a6f504f">Re: engagement ring during ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for asking this.<strong> I didn't know there was a proper way to wear the engagement ring and wedding band. </strong>Mine are not a matching set but I will have two wedding bands, they will bracket my solitare engagement ring. I imagine I'll switch everything around after the ceremony.
    Posted by amschulte[/QUOTE]

Your wedding band goes on first so it's 'closest to your heart'.  Of course, it's not 'wrong' if you do it differently, that's just the tradition.

OP - there's no right or wrong way to wear your e-ring during your ceremony, it's all a matter of personal comfort. 
    Anniversary
  • I think I'll wear my engagement ring on my right hand & then switch it over after the ceremony. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What about just having the groom take off the engagement ring during the ceremony to place wedding band on and then put the engagement ring back on over it?
  • There's no set "rule" about this so you can do whatever works for you, whether you want the groom to put both rings on your finger, whether you want to switch your engagement ring to your right hand and put it back on top of your wedding band after the ceremony, whether you want to have him put the wedding band on top of your engagement ring and then switch them, anything that you'd like to do is fine.  If you have the groom put both rings on your finger he can put the engagement ring on separately and there is some wording you can find if you search around that the officiant can say about the engagement ring protecting the marriage.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I'm keeping it on my left hand and switching it later. Seems the least complicated that way for me, and I like least complicated!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I saw this posted on wedding bee. could be a good way to inccorprate the e-ring into the ceremony as another option.

The engagement ring is a symbol of promise and intention. Now the intention is realized and the promise fulfilled. Please place the engagement ring on ____’s finger over her wedding band to symbolize that the love that brought you together will always protect and sustain your marriage.

Hope it helps!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b9d74cec-8879-41b6-9b76-9e077fd32fabPost:a90810dd-ca83-4645-9171-f47bf30f19f1">Re: engagement ring during ceremony</a>:

<div>This is what I did too.</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm going to wear my engagement ring on my left hand and then right before we exchange rings I'm going to take it off and hand it to my maid of honour. Once I have the wedding band on I will put back on the engagement ring. I want the wedding band to stay on my finger and not come off once it is put on. I'm sure I'll probably have to take it off at some point in my life, but I'd like it to stay on as long as possible once my husband puts it on.
    Soon-to-be Mrs Urbanowicz Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:b9d74cec-8879-41b6-9b76-9e077fd32fabPost:0cdb0f05-fa73-4ef5-884c-b9f710c7d7cf">Re: engagement ring during ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]mine are a set where the wedding band kind of fits into the engagement ring, so i have no choice but to take it off and get it to the best man before the ceremony so they can be connected correctly.
    Posted by TogetherPerfect[/QUOTE]
    Mine are a set, too!  The wedding band is like a wraparound that the engagement ring fits into.  I think it would be silly for my FH to put the empty wraparound on my finger, so I won't wear the engagement ring and he can slide the completed "super ring" onto my finger.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b9d74cec-8879-41b6-9b76-9e077fd32fabPost:0cdb0f05-fa73-4ef5-884c-b9f710c7d7cf">Re: engagement ring during ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]mine are a set where the wedding band kind of fits into the engagement ring, so i have no choice but to take it off and get it to the best man before the ceremony so they can be connected correctly.
    Posted by TogetherPerfect[/QUOTE]

Mine is also a set. FI will be able to connect it to my E-ring when he slips it on my finger :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My e-ring doesn't fit so well on my right hand (don't ask me why) so I'm going to have my MOH hold it for me, and I'll slip it on when she hands me back my bouquet. I have 2 bands, one for the front and one for the back of the e-ring so I'll just move the e-ring to the middle before the receiving line starts.

I did this for a friend when I was her MOH. As I handed the bouquet I slipped it right on her finger. No one noticed and she was good.
  • mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_engagement-ring-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b9d74cec-8879-41b6-9b76-9e077fd32fabPost:55916790-1f26-40a7-b284-7297ddb1ea1f">Re: engagement ring during ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw this posted on wedding bee. could be a good way to inccorprate the e-ring into the ceremony as another option. The engagement ring is a symbol of promise and intention. Now the intention is realized and the promise fulfilled. Please place the engagement ring on ____’s finger over her wedding band to symbolize that the love that brought you together will always protect and sustain your marriage. Hope it helps!
    Posted by neene112[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I plan on doing something like this, just hope that the priest will remember to read this part after the wedding ring goes on</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be putting my engagement ring on my right hand, then switch it later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards