Wedding Woes

My BF and his blankie

Dear Prudence,
My boyfriend and I have been a couple for a year, and we recently moved in together. He is a very intelligent, mature, caring, and funny man, and I feel our relationship has a great chance at "going the distance." Since we began cohabitating I found out he has a strange habit: He keeps a remnant of his baby blanket inside his pillow case and, after he thinks I am asleep, he pulls it out and sucks on it. I discovered this while changing the sheets one morning and noticed a wet spot on his pillowcase. I tried to talk about this with him, but he became embarrassed and refuses any attempt to discuss it. The habit itself is not a deal-breaker. What is a deal-breaker is the wet blanket, which has a smell. I want to hand wash it, but I don't want to do this without his permission. I understand the blanket might help him relieve some anxiety; it's the hygiene issue that bothers me. I can't wrap my head around kissing him in the morning knowing that he's been sucking on the blanket at night. How do I raise the issue of washing the blanket? And is this a "normal" thing, or does it suggest deeper issues?

—Wet Blanket

Re: My BF and his blankie

•  Dh had a pillow from childhood until the cat pissed on it.  Sounds like she needs to get a cat.
  • I'm with 6.  While this isn't a deal-breaker, it's still gross.
  • Tell your DH that the jizz towel belongs on the floor.  Or the laundry hamper
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • This is really disgusting.  The whole hygiene aspect...yeah, this is a dealbreaker.
  • i think she needs to "accidentally" wash it with the rest of the sheets/blankets.

• That is sooo disgusting. They both need help. He needs to get help with his strange addiction and she needs to get help to figure out why she is attracted to a "man" who is co dependant on a filthy suck rag. (That's what she said! HA!)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_my-bf-and-his-blankie?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:c99c4700-5746-44bc-968b-71c72d638f55Post:82d3dae4-e581-4bdd-bab8-a7f24643638b">My BF and his blankie</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dear Prudence, My boyfriend and I have been a couple for a year, and we recently moved in together. He is a very intelligent, mature, caring, and funny man, and I feel our relationship has a great chance at "going the distance." Since we began cohabitating I found out he has a strange habit: He keeps a remnant of his baby blanket inside his pillow case and, after he thinks I am asleep, he pulls it out and sucks on it. I discovered this while changing the sheets one morning and noticed a wet spot on his pillowcase. I tried to talk about this with him, but he became embarrassed and refuses any attempt to discuss it. The habit itself is not a deal-breaker. What is a deal-breaker is the wet blanket, which has a smell. I want to hand wash it, but I don't want to do this without his permission. I understand the blanket might help him relieve some anxiety; it's the hygiene issue that bothers me. I can't wrap my head around kissing him in the morning knowing that he's been sucking on the blanket at night. How do I raise the issue of washing the blanket? And is this a "normal" thing, or does it suggest deeper issues? —Wet Blanket
    Posted by TheMrsC23[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards