Chit Chat

What is your make up throw away rule?

I am really great at throwing away mascara when it is past its prime, but with the other things I am bad.  I have eyeshadow colors from god knows how long ago and as soon as I start to think about throwing it away, in the back of my mind I think.. oh I may need that color some day.  Just curious as to what your rule is when it comes to getting rid of make up items.  I don't know why but I get rid of clothes better than make up!!

Re: What is your make up throw away rule?

• kaceymariekaceymarie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    i don't have much makeup. i usually just buy what i know i will use. like i don't really have eyeshadow because i just don't use it.
  • I toss all eyeshadows by 2 years. Except cream based ones they only get 1 yr. I'm a total germ freak
  • Mascara gets the boot after 3 months and after that I'm VERY generous with keeping stuff around.
  • I keep everything until it's gone, which is years. 
  • How do you know when mascara is past it's prime? I've had mine years and I haven't noticed anything different from the first time I put it on.

Except that I shove it in my eye less, but I attribute that to getting better putting it on ;)
  • I just threw away a ton of old eyeshadows that were at least two-three years old.  I kept them around "in case I needed that color" but I never used them.  I bought and DIY-ed a new makeup case, so I think that helped me finally throw them away.

But mascara is gone after three months.  It starts to smell and dry up anyways.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I suppose if I labeled my shadows, I could toss them after three years, but hell if I know when I bought them. I'm old and forgetful.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-is-your-make-up-throw-away-rule?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:33912841-db7b-49b2-ab30-0be78af5d554Post:9260adfa-aee9-4926-82d3-4dcd270abb80">Re: What is your make up throw away rule?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you know when mascara is past it's prime? I've had mine years and I haven't noticed anything different from the first time I put it on. Except that I shove it in my eye less, but I attribute that to getting better putting it on ;)
    Posted by Amt2109[/QUOTE]

<div>You've had a single mascara for YEARS?  I would think it would be totally dried up by then--that's when you know it's past it's prime.  But mascara really should be tossed at the three month mark--the tube combined with swiping it near your eyes picks up bacteria, and the tube is a breeding ground for that.</div>
  • I basically keep everything (except mascara) for at least a few years. Most things will change its color or consistency if kept too long anyway. The most important part to me is regularly cleaning my brushes. Most people forget about that & end up with nastiness growing on their brushes that affect the quality of the product they’re putting on.
  • Mascara once it starts drying up gets tossed. Everything else I hoard. I'm pretty sure I still have some eyeshadows from high school (9 years ago - god I feel old saying that).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_what-is-your-make-up-throw-away-rule?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:33912841-db7b-49b2-ab30-0be78af5d554Post:22e428d4-029f-4656-a918-4b2422f4d531">Re: What is your make up throw away rule?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is your make up throw away rule? : You've had a single mascara for YEARS?  I would think it would be totally dried up by then--that's when you know it's past it's prime.  But mascara really should be tossed at the three month mark--the tube combined with swiping it near your eyes picks up bacteria, and the tube is a breeding ground for that.
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

I definitely have mascara that's over a year old... it's not dried up.  Works fine.  I dunno!
  • I typically use something until it's gone because make-up is expensive. I personally don't think eye shadow would ever go "bad" unless it's been years, I guess. I usually use one up before then.

I typically go through mascara pretty fast, but if not, I throw it when it starts getting dried up or has a funny smell to it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • mascara...?
    You throw it away??
    I have never had a problem.

I can't wear any eye shadow or liner that has red dye # something in it.  I get the look of pink eye within minutes of applying it.  Anyone else ever had this?
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    I usually keep things until they're gone.  Which sometimes is years.  As for my everyday mascara since I wear the same one everyday it's usually gone in a few months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't have the red dye problem but I am super sensitive to purples. 
  • I'm typically a lurker on this board, but HAD to answer this! I was a make-up artist for years and I usually abide by these rules: 3 months for mascara (any longer and it gets dry, cakey, flakey and lots of germs in it...). I'm pretty much a germophobe with anything around my eyes, so I toss eyeliners after 6 months and shadows get the boot after a year.
    A lot of companies have started putting dates on their products now (esp Estee Lauder brands-- look for the little jar with a number in it on the box). I think anything that's powder based (as long as it doesn't get oil/cream on it) is fine until it's gone but I wouldn't keep cream/oil based products for longer than a year (just because of the tendency to harbor germs and stuff...ok, so maybe I'm just a germophobe in general...haha).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards