Latino Weddings
Options

Newbie!!

Hello all!

I just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Christy. Im getting married on Nov 18, 2011. FI and I have been together going on 6 years. My dad is from Guatemala, but I have been born and raised in the US. FI's grandfather is from Italy. I would like to bring some traditions into our wedding. We are going to Italy for our honeymoon and I looked up the Laso and I think we are going to do it. We're getting married in a Catholic church. FI is catholic and I am not. We are not doing the entire mass, just the ceremony. I also am thinking about doing the father/daughter dance in Spanish. Not sure yet. What are your ideas on all this?

Pleased to meet all of you ladies here!
November 2011 Siggy - My Love and I

PhotobucketPhotobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding date is November 18th, 2011

451 invited 314 Are ready to party! 61 can't make it 77 is MIA
RSVP Date October 31st, 2011

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Newbie!!

• Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome! I'm in the same boat, FI is Catholic and I am not. What ceremony are you having? Do you have to convert/ get baptized in order to have the ceremony in the Cathollic church? I'm under the impression that I would have to in order to have mass, but for a "bendicion de aros" ceremony I don't. Just want to check to see what you have been told.

Btw, I think the father/ daughter dance in Spanish would be a beautiful touch! :)
  • Options
    Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_newbie-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:96cb526a-e35f-4ca7-b3e8-4a5a0b20c984Post:24190d3e-0e01-4de6-9f98-4a1deebb3931">Re: Newbie!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello and welcome! I'm in the same boat, FI is Catholic and I am not. What ceremony are you having? <strong>Do you have to convert/ get baptized in order to have the ceremony in the Cathollic church</strong>? I'm under the impression that I would have to in order to have mass, but for a "bendicion de aros" ceremony I don't. Just want to check to see what you have been told. Btw, I think the father/ daughter dance in Spanish would be a beautiful touch! :)
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

No but you need to raise your children as Catholics.  I would check with the priest of the parish though because this varies from place to place.

Welcome to the board!!!!

I'm Italian so if you're looking for some ideas let me know!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nat - exactly what Cynthia said is true. You dont have to do baptized or anything in order to get married in the church but you do have to agree to raise your children Catholic. We arent having the entire mass so Im not sure if the same applies.

Cynthia - I know we are having a "couple's costume" party in the Italian theme. His family is throwing a MOB/Godfather themed party. Its going to be a blast. What are some other traditions that happen during an Italian wedding?

• Options
    aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kris!!! Glad you came over here!! Nice to see girlis from my month board here too!!
    Have you though about incorporating the arras also (13 coins).

To answer your question Nati, you both have to be Confirmed Catholics in order to have a full Nuptual Mass...you should check out the Catholic board, ther are a lot of posts with questions about this.
  • Options
    Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly there aren't many traditions except for music and eating Wink  It depends on if your FI's family really follows tradition or not.  We always have some tarantellas playing, also with the favors custom is to give confetti (sugar-coated almonds).  I'm not giving them out because I think it's a waste.  And there's lots and lots of food.  There's always a plate of either seafood or fish served and soup.  Meat more often than not is veal and dessert is just crazy.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AG!!!!!! It's good to see youuuu!!!!!! I thought about the 13 coins but I'm not sure about it. I think it may be a bit much for not having full nuptial mass. But I did like the laso. Something to think about though! :) Cynthia- don't worry, us Louisianians love food, Italian or not!!!!! Haha. Sugar coated almonds would be good for a candy buffet but don't think we're having one. Would love one though!! Haha. We thought about incorporating the musical "The Godfather" but I'm unsure about it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!  We are also doing the ceremony without the mass since DH isn't catholic. I think the lasso would be perfect for the short ceremony :)
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm... thanks for the tip Ag... I just might have to venture over there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Christy! We're a great bunch of gals here on the Latino board :)
    A spanish father/daughter dance sounds nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards