Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Buffet opinions please

I am looking for some opinions on our Fall buffet menu.  Here is what we were thinking:

passed hors d'oeuvres: chicken skewers with dipping sauce
                                  spanikopita
                                  quesadillas with cheese and andouille sausage
                                  grilled NY strip steak on boursin crostini
                                  crabcakes with chipotle remoulade

dinner buffet: baby field greens with red onion, candied pecans, mandarin oranges and  raspberry vinaigrette
                    carved pork loin with cranberry chutney
                    whipped sweet potatoes
                    wild mushroom ravioli with ginger leek cream sauce
                    sauteed garlic spinach
                    fresh baked asiago dinner rolls

Does this seem too limited with pork being our only meat option?  We could take out the pork loin or wild mushroom ravioli and instead have carved turkey or prime rib with horseradish cream sauce. 

Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thank you :)

Re: Buffet opinions please

• edited December 2011
    I like it. The mushroom ravioli sounds delicious! I'd definitely keep that in. I also think the pork is really seasonal and appropriate for fall. As long as you've caterered to people's dietary restrictions, I think you're good to go. I might change the salad up to something a little more fallish (the raspberry vinaigrette screams spring/summer to me) - could you do something like this:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/roasted_butternut_squash_salad.aspx

and take out the bacon for the vegetarians in the house.
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally, the only thing I would eat from the buffet line would be the salad, spinach, and bread.  I've never been a fan of pork, and I don't eat mushrooms or sweet potatoes.  I know those are things a lot of people do eat, but I would prefer a different meat, like the turkey or prime rib. 

ETA: I love all the hors d'ouevres choices though.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds delish to me, and I love that you have multiple vegetarian options. I'm almost tempted to eat the meat entrées at weddings, because the vegetarian option is usually salad and bread haha.  

The whipped sweet potatoes sounds amazing!  I'm tempted to make some myself tonight. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    i think it sounds delicious, very appropriate for fall and full of variety!  you have great, filling hors d'oeuvres too.  i doubt anyone will leave your reception hungry!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds lovely to me.  Keep in mind that there is no possible way that every single person is going to love it...no matter WHAT you serve!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds great! A nice variety!
  • edited December 2011
    Because potato dishes usually are relatively affordable I'd consider doing both whipped sweet potatoes and also regular mashed potatoes.  I tend to notice that people have strong feelings about sweet potatoes one way or the other, but just about everyone can fill up on mashed potatoes. 
  • LisaB26541LisaB26541 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all the feedback.  I think we will probably keep the menu just about the same but will change the salad a little bit.  I also liked the idea of adding a second potato dish. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think you need another entree choice. Can you add another meat? 
  • edited December 2011
    I'd nix the mushroom ravioli, unless you've got a lot of vegetarians in attendance, and replace it with carved roast beef or prime rib.  But that's just me, and I hate mushrooms.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buffet-opinions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:4691fd6a-c816-4fa8-8532-5e6783c9360cPost:236666e7-0c40-4564-b8bb-14a9155a6eae">Re: Buffet opinions please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd nix the mushroom ravioli, unless you've got a lot of vegetarians in attendance, and replace it with carved roast beef or prime rib.  But that's just me, and I hate mushrooms.
    Posted by I Want Cake[/QUOTE]

See, I'd keep it because that's the only thing vegetarians can eat (other than the spanakopita and, I'm assuming, the potatoes).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_buffet-opinions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:4691fd6a-c816-4fa8-8532-5e6783c9360cPost:85549792-f284-436c-8677-ca22339dcbc4">Re: Buffet opinions please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buffet opinions please : See, I'd keep it because that's the only thing vegetarians can eat (other than the spanakopita and, I'm assuming, the potatoes).
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Me too. Plus, mushrooms are awesome.
  • jesiwidjesiwid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keep in mind if you have children coming to your wedding they are picky eaters. as well as vegitarians.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards