Virginia-Richmond

Old Church/Farm/Plantation Search

I just got engaged over 4th of July weekend and am starting to look into wedding and reception locations around the city of Richmond. My wedding will be about 100-125 people and I would like to have it outsite preferably in an old church or farm/plantation setting. I am not opposed to holding the ceremony and reception at seperate locations. The time of year will depends on the setting. I would rather not be in the city. Any ideas?!?! I do not need anything too fancy but would like something memorable.

Thank you! Smile

Re: Old Church/Farm/Plantation Search

• edited December 2011
    We are getting married in Ashland this fall. Our church is from 1871, and is this small historic wood chuch with all original structure. (Ashland Presbyterian) our reception is right across the traintracks, and is also an old historic building. (Hanover Arts Center). Not far from richmond, but def out of the city! Our party is about 150, so it will def be able to accomodate yours!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the ideas! I will have to look into both.
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married this October at Clover Forest Plantation and so far they have been wonderful with the planning.  It is a family owned house that they have opened to the public and they handle all of the catering as well.  We have rented the house for the full weekend, from Friday- Sunday, so we do not feel rushed and actually feel like we are getting away! 

Good luck in the search!
    Kara
  • edited December 2011
    Jasmine Plantation is a great venue!  That is where my fiance and I will be getting married next June!  After looking at pictures online and visiting the plantation I knew it was the place that I wanted to get married so it is definitely worth looking into.  The owners are great and really helpful with vendor recommendations.  
  • edited December 2011
    Has anyone heard anything/had their wedding at Amber Grove Inn? Virginia Cliffe Inn? or Apple Blossom Plantation?

How are their rental fees? Do they allow outside catering? Any personal preferences or suggestions?

Thanks!!!!
  • AlcoxAlcox member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm booking Jasmine Plantation for my August 11, 2012! Signing the contract tomorrow!

I've visited Amber Grove and Apple Blossom. I visited Amber Grove because it seems like it would be inexpensive but you have to rent all of your tables and chairs from them so it got pricey. The layout of the house was little weird because you have to walk thru different rooms to get to the food and stuff. The outdoor space is great. The gazebo is really pretty for ceremonies and you come out from this little side yard area. The guy that runs it is verrrry nice and very willing to help with day of wedding stuff. There were 2 cats running around and when we were looking thru the photo albums the cats were in some of the pictures so I don't think they put them away. They have their own in house caterer but I think you can bring in an outside caterer if you pay a kitchen fee. You can bring you own alcohol with them, just have to get an ABC license.

Apple Blossom was really pretty and the lady that runs it seems awesome! Very helpful and she is a lawyer or something so she said she will go over you contracts with other vendors before you sign if you need her to. They also have an in house caterer but you can get your own and pay a kitchen fee. I cant remember about alcohol tho. When you tour this place they tell you it was set up to look exactly like Amber Grove but I didn't see any resemblance in the house layout. This was another place that food is inside the main house so you have to come inside and then back outside to eat. I didn't choose this place because there is a pool very close to the reception tent and I didn't feel like the tent was large enough. If I heard her correctly tho, the use of the rooms in the house is *included* in the price that is listed on the website and as many people can sleep there as you can fit. At Jasmine Plantation it was almost $2000 extra and a max of 14 people can stay. If you go on a tour here, don't follow your gps. It tells you that you have arrived at a random set of train tracks. Keep driving! It's another couple miles down the road on your right. The lady says she tries to keep signs up but they blow away and stuff.

I ended up choosing Jasmine because of the grounds. After parking, guests walk over this really cute footbridge over a pond to get to the ceremony site. The tent is larger and everything fits outside. I really don't like having to wander in and out of the house to eat and get drinks and stuff. You get to rent everything youself. The owners give you a list of people they have worked with before but you can choose anyone. Basically the only "rule" they had was that if the reception goes past 11pm then the music needs to be turned down, but thats a law in the area I think, and then the reception has to end by midnight but you get cleanup time afterwards. If you are thinking of this place then take a tour soon. They said that August is their busiest booking time, typically about 15 weddings are booked for the next year. I actually had to decide quickly if I was positive I wanted my wedding there because they called last night and said someone was interested in my weekend.

Hope I helped!
    ~Ashley
  • edited December 2011

Thank you sooo much Ashley that was incredibly helpful!! I will have to let you know how things go :)

• edited December 2011
    We recently toured the Virginia Cliffe Inn and thought it was very cute and quaint.  They allow outside caterers which is great, but we felt that the rental fee was a little high for that space.  They do have all-inclusive options that are only for Fridays or Sundays, which might be of interest if you.  We were told they are going to consider adding an all-inclusive option for Saturdays, as well, so maybe that could also work if they were ready to introduce that in time for your wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • plswitzeplswitze member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister is getting married 10-20-2012 at Winterham Plantation. It is gorgeous, on a hill overlooking a lake, comes with tables, chair, tents and you get the house, and bridal suite the night before and night of the wedding. it is in amelia.
    *My Planning Bio* *UPDATED 1-18-2012*
    South FL March siggy: Fave Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards