Michigan-Detroit
Options

Small Reception in 3 adjoining rooms in a Mansion

A Little background... Im 32 he's 41 and neithr one of us are into the whole fairy tale spend 100k on your wedding thing.  We are looking to invite 100 people 125 at the very most to our weeding...

That said ahs anyone been to  gotton married at either the Grosse Pointe War Memorial or The Whitney in downtown Detroit. I'm a little skepitcal about having the reception in 3 seperate rooms ( war memorial) but the location is fantastic....as is The Whitney.... ant comment or feedback would be appreciated...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Small Reception in 3 adjoining rooms in a Mansion

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Detroit board Lashanda!

The Whitney is fabulous, I've never been to the War Memorial. At the top of the board threads there is one regarding :Who are your vendors" or something like that. Read through and see if anyone is using these. It's my understanding both are sort of expensive, but that may not be an issue for you.

We are having our ceremony and reception at Greenmead, which is a small historic village in Livonia at the corner of 8 Mile & Newburgh Rd. It was $1000 for use of the historic non-demoninational chapel and the banquet room inside the Alexander Blue House. THey have lovely grounds for pictures. You bring in your own caterers and liquor. There is however a max capicity of 100 in both the chapel and reception room. Info here:

http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/tabid/189/Departments/Community%20Resources/Greenmead/NewburgIntersection.aspx

Good luck in your planning.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi Lashanda!

Welcome and congratulations! 

I don't have information on the venues you're interested in but I recently went to a wedding at the Ford Estate.  It was a mansion with multiple rooms.  It was beautiful!  The wedding was outside.  Guests could wander through a few different rooms during the cocktail hour and that was pretty cool.  And dinner was sit down and was all in one room and was beautiful too.  But then for the reception there was dancing in one room.  The bar was in another.  And there were different places to sit.  And it just felt like you didn't really know who was there or if they were just in another room.  You couldn't see all of your guests together because they weren't necessarily together. 

So overall I remember it being unique and beautiful and pretty cool.  But it's not what I would choose.  I want everyone having fun together.  I don't want to miss part of the party in one room while I'm in another. 

Just my thoughts.  Good Luck!

• Options
    Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I haven't been to either of those locations, but I would be very concerned about having a wedding in multiple rooms.  I went to a wedding at a venue in Saline (can't remember the name) but the room was t-shaped and we were in one of the corners and we felt very separated from the rest of the wedding.  I did not enjoy it at all.

Just a note, I don't think anyone here is looking to spend $100K on a fairy tale wedding.  In fact, that's the reason most of us are here -- looking for ideas and support to plan our wedding, staying within a reasonable budget, etc etc etc.  We're more than willing to help you out, everyone here is amazing.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

We had our wedding at the GPWM & had about 150 guests.. it was the most affordable place (near Detroit) that we had found & I highly recommend it. We also had it in one big ballroom. I have never heard of 3 separate rooms? 

I've actually been to a few events at the Whitney & it was sprawled out in a bunch of different rooms. I'm not sure how many people were there, but I remembered thinking that it was odd that everyone was not in the same room. 

Both venues are absolutely gorgeous though & the food is great as well!
  • Options
    lashanda1lashanda1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your comments.... We decided that instead of spending the 4-5K we wanted on the reception will will use that money to help buy a house and have the reception there.....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lashanda1lashanda1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you that wa the concern I had... I dont want anyone to feel seperated. We decided to buy a house instead pay for the reception.... so we can have it there and the wedding at the Whitney
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards