November 2013 Weddings

BM Dresses - Long? Short?

Hi all -

Super quiet board so I figured I'll post a question that's been bugging me...

With your BM dresses - are you going long or short?  I'm torn because I generally like the shorter styles I've come across - not to mention they are more friendly on the wallet for my girls - but I feel like the "look" I'm going for would be better with long.

I'm also not sure if it's rude of me to want them to wear short dresses when it's the first weekend in November.  The ceremony is going to be inside in front of a fireplace, though.  No chilly legs there, I hope!  

What are your plans?

Re: BM Dresses - Long? Short?

• its funny I am also struggling with the same question.. I see you live in south jersey, I live in dallas but my fiance and I are both from jersey and we will be getting married there .. im leaning towards long dresses because i feel they are going to work better in November.. they are also more formal 

• I'm thinking we'll be going with longer dresses. We'll be having a more formal event, and it'll be warmer.
  • I'm doing long dresses as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2013 brides December 2012 Siggy: Bridesmaids Dress
  • alk0511alk0511 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    The more I think about it - the more I'm leaning towards long as well.  It seems like such a silly thing to fret over but I just want to make sure my BMs are comfortable & still keep a cohesive, November-appropriate look going.

Thanks all!
  • Our wedding will be in Massachusetts but the girls hands down want short dresses.  If they are cool with that, then so am I.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I definitely assumed that I'd put the bridesmaids in short dresses... it just is what I am used to seeing I guess. In Houston, November usually isn't that cold anyway, and I think there's a greater chance of finding a "re-wearable" dress if you go the short route. 

I guess it depends a lot on how formal you want your wedding to be, too-- my cousin got married in Louisiana in July (HOT) but she had a formal ceremony and reception and her bridesmaids were all in long satin gowns, I think. 
  • I'm doing cocktail length (knees or higher) because we're having a casual wedding and since I am planning to put them in white I want their dress length to be shorter than mine so I stand out.  But we're getting married on the beach in Florida so the temps should still be well into the 70s that time of year.

If all of the events are inside I wouldn't worry about having them wear shorter dresses.  Bear in mind that you may want some pictures outside and if so plan ahead and make a list of must-have shots and/or take breaks inside so they aren't outside so long.  A good idea for a BM gift would be a wrap or pashmina that matches their dress (reasonably priced on amazon.com.)
  • alk0511alk0511 member

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I love the look of long dresses but short styles are just a bit more fun, in my opinion.  Either way, I've got some time to really decide. 

Argh...the downside to a long engagement!!  No doubt time will fly though.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-long-short?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:4d1fa2c4-b715-4894-a183-d23e1b67c545Post:ab58e1d6-cb09-4758-a0bd-fcfcbc4d5483">Re: BM Dresses - Long? Short?</a>:
    [QUOTE]...the downside to a long engagement!!  No doubt time will fly though.
    Posted by alk0511[/QUOTE]

<div>Here's hoping!! :) I'm super excited about getting married next November, and rationally I know that I just would not have the time to do all the planning and things that I want to do any sooner, and it will be so much more pleasant weather for us . . .  but I am just the type who wants to plan out everything far in advance! I'm so afraid I'll make a major choice and then decide to go in an entirely opposite direction a few months later...</div>
  • alk0511alk0511 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-long-short?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:4d1fa2c4-b715-4894-a183-d23e1b67c545Post:04338ec3-ae6e-418d-adc6-72bc7fa997bf">Re: BM Dresses - Long? Short?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BM Dresses - Long? Short? : Here's hoping!! :) I'm super excited about getting married next November, and rationally I<strong> know that I just would not have the time to do all the planning and things that I want to do any sooner</strong>, and it will be so much more pleasant weather for us . . .  but I am just the type who wants to plan out everything far in advance! <strong>I'm so afraid I'll make a major choice and then decide to go in an entirely opposite direction a few months later...
    </strong>Posted by SMN272[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way on both points!! 

My goal is to get the venue/ceremony site (done!), photographer (not yet but very close) and DJ (not yet) booked.  The rest can be taken care of when the time is right. 

There are always *those* people who judge "how far away" our date is and I politely reply that time will go by very quickly.  FI & I both love the fall and really wanted that time of year for our wedding.  Noooo way was a 2012 fall wedding going to happen for us without feeling totally rushed & overwhelmed.  I'm glad we are going this route.  Plus...more time to plan and be a good budget shopper!  :-)
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_bm-dresses-long-short?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:4d1fa2c4-b715-4894-a183-d23e1b67c545Post:ddef2f64-c46f-4aa4-9cbc-aac91fe1b264">Re: BM Dresses - Long? Short?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BM Dresses - Long? Short? : I feel the same way on both points!!  My goal is to get the venue/ceremony site (done!), photographer (not yet but very close) and DJ (not yet) booked.  The rest can be taken care of when the time is right.  There are always *those* people who judge "how far away" our date is and I politely reply that time will go by very quickly.  FI & I both love the fall and really wanted that time of year for our wedding.  Noooo way was a 2012 fall wedding going to happen for us without feeling totally rushed & overwhelmed.  I'm glad we are going this route.  Plus...more time to plan and be a good budget shopper!  :-)
    Posted by alk0511[/QUOTE]

You sound exactly like us. We're getting married on 11/2/13 b/c we love the time of year, and 11/2 turned out to be perfect.  By the time we get married we'll have been engaged 2.5 years, almost to the day. 
    We're also where you are with planning, we've got the church/venue booked, and next will be flowers, photog, and dj. 
    As of now, I'm thinking long dresses.  A lot can change between now and then, but they'll likely be long.
  • Mine are going ot be short...I think long dresses are usually a more formal look..I have seen some really cute long dresses though...If you are going for a certain look the BM dresses are a HUGE vocal point so make sure you get what you want for sure
    Good Luck!
  • I have always wanted a simple yet elegant look so my BM's dresses are long :)
    imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards