Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

$12/person for cake?

That seems outrageously high to me, given our anticipated 200 guests.  Is this common in a hotel-venue?
Let's try this again.

Re: $12/person for cake?

• MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That seems really high but it can vary depending on where you are in the country. I'm guessing Orange County is pricier than most. In my area, the average cost per person/slice tends to be $3.50- 4.50.
  • edited December 2011
    I can use an outside caterer, but the cutting fee is $6/person.  That may still be more cost-effective.  Hmm.  This might just be enough to push me go with my gut instinct of no-cake. 
    Let's try this again.
  • edited December 2011
    12 dollars a person is nuts. I don't care where you are in the country. I've never heard of over 9 (and that is like THE highest I've ever heard).
  • edited December 2011
    In say either cupcakes or cake pops. Bliss Bakery in Omaha makes them for $1.25 a piece and they are good for up to 2 weeks. Maybe you could have them shipped to you
  • edited December 2011
    Cupcakes sound like a great idea (and my kids would love them).  I just received an e-mail from my second-choice venue and their cake is priced at $9-18/person...so guess this is normal for around here.  Let's see if I can beat the system with cake-alternatives.  haha.  Thanks everyone.
    Let's try this again.
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow.. those prices are ridiculous!

I agree with the girls: either do cake pops or cupcakes to avoid the high fees!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    That is insane! I know that where you are in the country dictates price, but that is crazy!  Good luck!
    image182 Invited! image108 Are ready to party!
    image74 Are seriously missing out! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nannewmurnannewmur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Louisville, KY it is $2.75-$8.00, depending on many different factors.
  • edited December 2011
    Do any of you watch the show Ace of Cakes?  On his website he states there is a $1000 minimum for ANY cake.  That only covers the cake.  Any decoration is extra.

Carlo's Bakery (Cake Boss) use to have under their FAQ section "how much do your cakes cost" and the answer was basically "because everything is custom for each client we don't have a price/serving, but wedding cakes average $15-$18/serving".

Is $12 per person expensive? Yes
    Is $12 per person out of my budget? Yes
    Is $12 per person outrageous? Not if your budget allows for it.
  • edited December 2011
    I also live in OC and the cake I got for my sisters bridal shower was $90 and it was supposed to be enough for about 25 guests. (It was a big Tiffany box with a 3D bow and all).
    There was tons left over, but the reason it was so expensive was because is was fondant. Could that be part of the $12 ?

What hotel are we talking about?
  • edited December 2011
    OC, California?

I was looking at 50 cakes on brides.com yesterday. The cheapest was $7.50/slice. $12/slice doesn't surprise me tons for the OC, especially at a hotel, where you have in-house mark-up plus wedding mark-up. We looked at a hotel up here for a venue, and orange juice was $35/pitcher.
  • edited December 2011
    Gaaaaa! Even if I had the budget for it, I don't think I could ever spend $35 for a pitcher of OJ on principle! As cake decorating is my full time job, I'd be interested to see what this $12/slice cake looks like. Some of those cakes are so time consuming, they are completely fair. But sometimes venues just want to gouge you because they can.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, Louisa, we crossed that venue off on principle, and I'm trying to nix all other hotels because I can't believe they'll have wildly different pricing structures. (They might price orange juice differently, but they'll gouge us somewhere else, I'm sure.)
  • chrmunchrmun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think it's pretty standard for OC.  Especially if you're in Southern OC or near the beach. 
    We're having a similar experience with bakers in Sonoma and Napa.  Most of them seem to start at about $8 per slice and go up from there.  Ours ended up at $11 per slice and we were glad to not get soaked for more!

Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Kimberly0402Kimberly0402 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake is  $3.50 a person plus $100 for design, $20 delivery cost and tax. That includes a 4-tier cake with pipping details, buttercream frosting and a filling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, makes me glad to be in TX! Ours is 2.50 a serving!
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing cupcakes as well- they will run us about $2.75 each.  We are just getting a small cake to cut so we can still have the tradition. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, Orange County California...and we are talking a beach-city hotel.  (I'm deciding between The Montage in Laguna or Park Aviara in Carlsbad.)  Thank you for all of the feedback.  I feel comforted by those who have seen similar prices and I'm aware that I'm in one of the most expensive areas of the country.  Cake ranks very low on my list of wedding-priorities (I'd rather spend another $12/person on food), so I'll definitely be exploring alternatives.  :)
    Let's try this again.
  • amyb140amyb140 member
    edited December 2011
    Yup - that's exactly what ours was at the Peninsula in Chicago.  And we had to use their cake.  On the plus side, it was one of the most delicious cakes I've ever had - lemon with lemon curd and raspberry filling!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Mmmmmm raspberry filling . We had that same flavoring on the wedding last weekend and it was FABULOUS. We did buttercream frosting!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    FI wanted a cake with handmade bloomed chocolate pinecones with Marzipan. We were getting $12 quotes on that. That made him back off.....

I believe that our cake will be in the neighborhood of $7 a serving....if we go for a full sized cake. If not, we're hoping to DIY it.....
    "Who died and made you Dagon?" - stackeye210 I'm supposed to be falling for myself...and not falling for just any guy out there in the world.....
  • SCogs18SCogs18 member
    edited December 2011
    The high end bakeries I have looked at online charge between $4.50-$5.50/person.  Of course, this cost goes up with extra fancy decorations or fondant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards