Texas-San Antonio

St. Joseph's downtown church?Catholic marrying Lutheran

Has anyone known or married at St. Joseph's Catholic church in San Antonio?  I am Catholic and my fiance' is Lutheran, do you know if the non-catholic had to stand to the side of the alter?  I'm going to contact the Church, but I wanted to know other people's experiences.  Thank you!

Re: St. Joseph's downtown church?Catholic marrying Lutheran

• edited December 2011

I'm Catholic and fiance is not. We're getting married at a different Catholic church (St. Francis of Assisi), but the non-Catholic partner doesn't have to stand somewhere different. The two of you should stand together before the altar. The only difference I'm aware of is that it is not usually a Mass. There's just the readings and prayers you would have at a Mass, the exchanging of vows, and the exit, no communion. If the church tries to tell you your fiance has to stand somewhere else, I'd ask another priest from another church, because at your wedding, you two should be standing together.

• edited December 2011
    Every church is different because a lot of it has to do with priest preference but I have never heard of one where the groom is standing somewhere other than next to you. I agree with pp on the issue and I am sure there are plenty of churches that would marry you and allow you to stand together!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kstock06Kstock06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at St. Joesph's in October and also marrying a Lutheran. I don't think there are any rules about who stands where other than the two of you at the alter. Father Mario is so nice and I am sure will be able to help you out with whatever questions you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards