New York-Long Island
Options

Dress Shopping

I have a hard time getting my BM's together to go dress shopping, and I feel like I am wasting their time if I take them to a couple of diffrent places without having any idea of what I want to try on. Do you think it would be weird for me to go dress shopping by myself to find dresses that I like so that I can then take them and show them my choices? I don't want to feel pressured into buying something that I dont really like because of someone else's opinion.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress Shopping

• Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011

are you talking about YOUR dress or their dresses?

fyi: watching someone try on tons of wedding dresses is boring as hell. ask your mom and MOH (unless one of theBMs insists on going iwth you) and tell the others they're welcome to join you.

• Options
    haylesDhaylesD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm talking about my dress. My mother doesn't live in the same country as me so I asked them if they wanted to go. They all said that they want to be there. It's just hard with everyone's schedules.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do a scouting trip on your own.  Narrow it down to 4-6 dresses, then bring your friends.  That way, you won't bore them to death with 50 bad dresses.  (Even my mom got bored around dress #10 when I went shopping.)
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    3 of my closest friends went with me dress shopping because my family doesn't live here.  it was important for me to have company and help on the picking process.  IWe had a great day, they truly enjoy it, you just have to make them be part of the process and make it fun.  they helped picking the dresses for example and made me try ALL kind of dresses, we had a blast and was a bonding experience for me and my friends...

If it is not as important to you to go with somebody I don't see anything wrong for you to go alone and see some options and then share that moment of actually picking your dress with your beloved friends.  It is a great experience and they may appreciate the fact that you make them part of such moment.
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_dress-shopping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:52a45651-c1f4-42e5-af86-68b14289979aPost:56f181a2-a4c9-47fb-8490-d08e374ff262">Re: Dress Shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm talking about my dress. My mother doesn't live in the same country as me so I asked them if they wanted to go. They all said that they want to be there. It's just hard with everyone's schedules.
    Posted by haylesD[/QUOTE]
    the maybe you need to go about it differently. send everyone an email and ask them to choose from a few dates that you list. the date with the most choices wins. those who choose that date go, the others can go iwth you to do something else if they choose.

• Options
    KatieDave1022KatieDave1022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend doing a little research with one or two of them in advance so you can get an idea of what is out there in terms of color, fabric and styles that you like. 

THEN call up Petra Special Occassion Dresses & Accessories  (516.535.9549) and schedule an appointment to meet with Casandra and as many of your bridesmaids as you can round up.  Casandra (the store's owner) will contact all of the vendors you are interested in and round up the dresses that you've already determined that you're interested in.  Petra seems to have great connections with so many different designers so this really makes the whole process so much easier and everything is in one place.  My maids and I found this SO convenient and the customer service is top notch.  I would highly recommend heading over to Petra (981 Port Washington Blvd, Port Washington, NY) ASAP - it was definitely worth the trip and I couldn't be happier with the outcome!

Thanks and hopefully this helps!
  • Options
    KatieDave1022KatieDave1022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my apologies, i thought you were referring to bridesmaids dresses. 

Good luck! 
  • Options
    haylesDhaylesD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Katie, that will help out a lot when we go dress shopping for the BM's!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards