Michigan-Detroit

Favor idea...thoughts/opinions?

Hi Ladies!

I'm sitting here tonight looking up favor ideas. FI and I were thinking of doing personalized golf balls.. Something like this.. http://www.beau-coup.com/personalized-wedding-golf-balls.htm

We are getting married at a country club in the area (ceremony and reception).. The golf course will basically be the background for the ceremony so we thought the golf balls would fit.  Not everyone coming to the wedding golfs, but I thought maybe it would still be kind of a unique keepsake?  Thoughts??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Favor idea...thoughts/opinions?

• If I were a guest, I wouldn't be a fan. As a guest, I really have no interest in having a keepsake of the day...even if it's a family member getting marred. I have no need for additional thotchkes in my home and I think something like golf balls are only useful if you're a golfer, which you've said not everyone is. Personally, if you're doing favors, I'd go with something edible like chocolate or mints or something like that.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Honestly, it is a cute idea but anything I get personalized I tend to toss in my junk drawer. I like edible favors. You should check out Gayles chocolates in royal oak... they make chocolate golf balls :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with PP, but never really thought abou it until now. Like a lot of people, I think people don't want something with your name and your date on it. My fI and I are more than likely going to give sets of coasters. Each guest would get a pair, so it wouldn't be the odd ball out.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_favor-ideathoughtsopinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:fda24a81-6517-46e7-a6c5-e89ec35fef53Post:b7df5c7f-d0be-4c6c-8dab-27659c5cd694">Re: Favor idea...thoughts/opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, it is a cute idea but anything I get personalized I tend to toss in my junk drawer. I like edible favors. You should check out Gayles chocolates in royal oak... they make chocolate golf balls :)
    Posted by sparkles776[/QUOTE]

I think chocolate golf balls would be perfect! I'm in the "don't give me things with your names on it because I'm just going to throw them away" camp. HOWEVER chocolate golf balls would be neat because they just eat them and it fits perfectly with your theme.
    June 16, 2012
  • Love the chocolate golf ball idea!
    Anniversary
  • Definitely go edible, I would have no use for a golf ball myself and would just leave it behind.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_favor-ideathoughtsopinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:fda24a81-6517-46e7-a6c5-e89ec35fef53Post:0cdea162-7ad4-4612-93c4-86d55b79e9a8">Re: Favor idea...thoughts/opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Definitely go edible, I would have no use for a golf ball myself and would just leave it behind.
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Me too. I really don't like junk - so I wouldn't bother even bringing it home. 

</div>
  • I agree with Milsey and entropic, I have a feeling you would end up having A LOT of golf balls left behind. I had a friend do chocolates, and she actually had people stealing them from other place settings. lol
  • Ahhh, I didn't even think about chocolate golf ball! That's a good idea!  I am going to look into that, thank you for the idea, Sparkles776! 

I've been trying to get on the Gayle's Chocolates website all day with no luck.  It might be my work computer though.   They block ridiculous things at the school...(not theknot.com though!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • no problem, i know, I originally was going to link their website but it wasnt working for me either, which is strange, I have ordered things off of there before!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Why don't you do both?  But offer the regular/usable golf balls in a separate area - like near the bar or the cocktail hour?  Perhaps in your welcome bags for out of town guests?  If you're doing it at a golf club that offers them golf specials during their stay perhaps those guests would enjoy them.

The reason people toss stuff with names and dates in a drawer isn't because they are personalized - it's because the favor probably sucked.  No one needs another deck of cards, set of coasters or a friggin box of those mints that only like 5 people in the world like. 
    If you're going to go edible - go to a bakery or a choclatier (Gayle's is pretty good as mentioned above, so is Kilwin's in Birmingham, Astoria in RO, etc.) and please for the sake of every wedding guest in America we need to stop couples from buying the Hershey nuggets or M&M's with your face on it.  A delictable cookie, cupcake or box of specialty chocolates is way more enjoyable!!

Maybe just offer the personalized stuff as an option for those who actually golf - because I know golfers who insist on using golf balls with particular marks that would enjoy this.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards