Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Engagement Session Locations in Pittsburgh - HELP! :)

Hello All!

Our engagement photo session is scheduled for May 8th. We want to do something in the Pittsburgh area, but I'm not too sure of where to go! We're both huge Penguin fans, so we want to end up at the Mellon Arena - but, I am not sure where to go prior to that. I love unique things. I'm pretty much open to anything. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?! All are greatly appreciated! It's just coming so fast and I don't know what to do! Embarassed

Thank you!!! Smile

Re: Engagement Session Locations in Pittsburgh - HELP! :)

• edited December 2011
    My FI and I are planning to hit all three major sports venues wearing the corresponding jerseys.  We also plan on Mt. Washington since that's where we got engaged, but we're also trying to decide on one other locale.

How many locations do you want to do?  Do you want downtown, or do you want surrounding?  The Cultural District has some neat statues and stuff, especially in the little plaza by Theater Square (across from the Benedum).  Mt. Washington and the West End Overlook are always popular for a "Pittsburgh" feel, but if you want a cool city view from a different angle there's an overlook on Catoma Street in Fineview that looks at the city from the North Side (go up Federal St., make a right on Henderson, follow H. as far as you can go, make a left then a right on Catoma).  My photographer did an engagement shoot at Phipps, which was kinda cool.  Lots of different rooms for backgrounds.  HTH!
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a session at Chatham University and they looked great! We also did one on the North Shore by the river!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • phillychica85phillychica85 member
    edited December 2011
    Ros-We also had our engagement photos at Chatham's campus and we both loved how ours turned out! I'm an alum myself (undergrad) and thought it would be the perfect spot to shoot. Our photographer had no idea how stunning and expansive the campus is. It's a gorgeous and secluded spot yet still right in the thick of things! So happy to hear that you shot yours there too!
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we started at market square and just walked and took pictures along the way. some of the most random spots turned out to be my fav pics
  • edited December 2011
    I recently spent days researching photog blogs for locations. We're doing ours this weekend @ Mellon Park. A small portion of the walled garden is currently being renovated, but they said it's ok as long as we stay off the new grass area. Hartwood Acres is really beautiful for pics too.
    image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are having ours taken at Market Square, Mt. Washington, and in the little park with the bridge on the North Side (can't think of the name right now).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We had ours taken all over downtown.  Point park, market square, the pillars across from the UPMC building (can't think of the name of the corresponding building), all along the river on point park, tha chains outside the courthouse, etc.  We also did under the dome at The Pennsylvanian, but you have to go after hours otherwise they won't let you if you haven't rented the facility.  Here's the link to my wedding website (the actual one that was included with my invitations) and if you go to the photo section, there are some engagement photos.

www.weddingwire.com/WidrickRitzWedding
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

or you can risk it and show up at the pennsylvanian until they kick you out.... ;)
    we showed up on our wedding day, took all of our shots and by the time they kicked us out we were leaving anyways (but not before taking a few more pics on our way out, behind columns so they couldn't see us).

• ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    Philly- I actually didn't go to Chatham, but our photographer did. I have been there multiple times for work and when she suggested it I was pretty excited. I would have never thought of it. We were more into those pictures than any city shots!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother and his FI just got theirs taken all around the city and ended up around PNC park... They are having a 'Pittsburgh Skyline' theme for their wedding - here is a link to the photog blog! They came out super cute and perfect for their pittsburgh theme!!

http://www.studiobash.com/blog/2010/04/23/kalee-and-dante/

If you want to end up around Melon Arena you can start in the Strip area - there are some AMAZING spots around there to take pics! Also, I've seen incredible pics taken by the convention center (underneath along the waterway) as well as the arched entry of the Pennsylvanian... Just some thoughts! GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I was just being helpful with the info on Pennsylvanian.  Not everyone likes to be told to leave without knowing beforehand it can happen.  It's a lot easier to take quick photos if you know you'll be asked to leave. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    G, I love your brother's pics!  SO cute.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bleh. cranky.
    we were there for a good 20 min before asked to leave, and they weren't mean about it. i never had a chance to call to see if you needed to set something up with them or not, so we just showed up to see what would happen. turns out, not all that much happens.
  • edited December 2011
    I love the photos posted by Studio Bash as well! :)

If you want to do bridge shots, you easily can. I recommend going to the Andy Warhol bridge. You can actually sit on the side of it (there's a walkway like 3 feet below) that makes it appear like you are much more daring than you really are!

CMU columns always work if the weather is bad too.

HTH!

• edited December 2011
    You guys are amazing!! These are great ideas! I am still not sure where we will end up, but we have some great suggestions. Thanks again!!! Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards