Ohio-Cincinnati

Looking for a smaller venue-Dayton/Cincinnati area

Hello!  I recently got engaged and we live in Dayton, we moved here during the summer and don't know a bunch of places for venues and I'm looking for some suggestions, please!  We'll probably have about 50-75 guests (closer to 50 than to 75 I'm thinking) and my one requirement for a venue is that I don't want to get a married/have the reception in a church or a typical hotel ballroom/banquet hall.

I'm setting an appt. to meet with the people at 20th Century Theatre (I'm really loving the idea of marrying there!!) but the pricing guide they sent me is with a 125 person min and I'm concerned that it's going to be too large for us and that the place will just look sad and empty.  I don't really have a set price for the venue (my parents are paying for the wedding) but I don't want to spend major $$$s and I think that 20th Century seems a great price from what I've seen.  I'm willing to be relatively flexible.

Any suggestions out there?  Thank you! :)

Re: Looking for a smaller venue-Dayton/Cincinnati area

• Bell Event Center or Krippendorf Lodge

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• We are having a smaller wedding too, and I wanted some of the same things you do. I would not recommend the Bell Event Center. It's beautiful, but they have a minimum spending limit of 15,000 for Saturdays. Not sure how you would reach that with a smaller wedding. I recommend Weidemann Hill Mansion, Cincinnati Observatory, or Krippendorf Lodge. We went for Krippendorf. 
  • edited December 2011
    We're having our reception at The Cannery (art gallery) in downtown Dayton.  I think they have done ceremonies there as well. Although the venue is capable of holding over 100 people, the space definitely won't look empty if you have fewer people than that because there is a ton of artwork everywhere and lots of walls that kind of section off the room- it's not just one big open room or anything like that.

I think I have a few pics of the space in my planning bio. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• Thank you so much for all the suggestions!  I'm going to have to look into them!  I actually work just a few blocks from The Cannery, that sure would be conviently close lol :)
  • If you're willing to come down into Cincinnati as far as the 20th Century, why not go 10 minutes further south and look at Wiedemann Hill Mansion in Newport, KY?  Stunning doesn't even begin to describe it...and they can only accomodate ~70 tops. Donna, the owner, is a lovely lady and very nice to work with.   
  • edited December 2011
    I recommend the Krippendorf--I was married there in September.  Let me know if you need/want any more info on our experiences.  Happy planning!
  • We are getting married at the Leapin' Lizard in Covington.  It's definitely unique if that's what you're looking for, it's an old church that's been renovated into an event space.  Very pretty (and affordable)! 

• Cox Arboretum
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The Voice of America Lodge in West Chester charges a flat fee. The rooms there are beatiful, however you will have to provide all your own services (such as catering, set up, ect). That is where my wedding is and I have had nothing but good experiences so far with the staff!

• I recommend the Grand in Covington. I went to wedding there in June and loved the decor.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_looking-smaller-venue-daytoncincinnati-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:3ed21ec0-4908-4378-a21e-f39debd3e83bPost:60bde0fd-f649-4636-84ad-f45f1e09bc0f">Re: Looking for a smaller venue-Dayton/Cincinnati area</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cox Arboretum
    Posted by GoBucksOH[/QUOTE]

<div>Seconded. We had our ceremony in our church, but our reception was at Cox. We had about 75 people attend, and it didn't look empty. There's a rental fee for the building, but there's no minimum food or beverage requirement. You also choose a caterer from a list of four, and the savings can be quite significant.</div><div>
    </div><div>They have a variety of places to hold your ceremony: Crab Apple Allee, Edible Pavillion, Huffman Gallery, etc.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards