Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Holiday Plans...

So... what do everyone's holiday work schedules look like??
- My office is closed on Friday, Monday, and next Friday (for NYE) but I'm taking off this Thursday to head home a little early and get a longer weekend.

What is everyone doing for Christmas?? Any special plans or travel?
- Like I said, I'm heading home to Pgh on Thursday and coming back to Philly Monday night... I'm hoping my dad and I can get up to 7 Springs a day or two to get a bit of skiing in! I really wanted to go back for NYE/NYD but it's pretty expensive to fly back and forth like that and I just don't have the time to take off at work :( boo...

Re: Holiday Plans...

• dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We get Friday, Monday and next Friday off for Christmas/NY.  Our vacay policy at work is use-it-or-lose-it so since I have a bit a few hours left that I need to take I'm taking a half day wednesday, a full day on Thursday and a full day the following Thursday.

We switch off where we spend Christmas eve and Christmas Day. This year we are doing Christmas eve in Pittsburgh (YAY!!!) with my family and then leaving Christmas morning to drive up to Lewistown (Central PA) to see FI's family. We'll head back to Pittsburgh on Sunday night.

G - will FI have to work on NYE???

• edited December 2011
    I am taking off tomorrow until Thursday. Our office is closed the 24 to Dec. 31, and I took off January 4. So, I am officially off for 2 weeks! AMAZING!

FI and I are heading to Harrisburg on Thursday, we'll stay there until early Christmas morning when we drive to my Mom's house. We'll stay in Pittsburgh until early Tuesday. woo hoo!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011

This past weekend we went up to Cresson (near Altoona) for H's family Christmas party, had a great time! 

I work til 5:30pm Christmas Eve (blah) then we will head to my cousin's for my mom's side of the family's gathering. Christmas Day H & I will open our giftsm have breakfast etc, and head to another cousin's for my dad's side of the family party.

My brother, SIL, niece and nephew will arrive Thursday from Virginia but have to go back Christmas afternoon because they are going away with my SIL's family to North Carolina. So after work Thursday, H & I will go up there, do presents with my parents & brother's family, watch the Steeler game and all that.

We will be making some food over the next few days to take with us to all these gatherings. Everything has to be done by Wed night since I work such a sucktastic shift this week. This way, H will just have to load the car, pick me up at work Thrus & Fri and off we go!

Crosswalk
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    I am done with work after tomorrow.. the office is closed through the New Year and I am SOO looking forward to having some 'me' time! I haven't taken any time off this year except for the wedding and for dr. apt.s with my pap so I am looking forward to being lazy!

Christmas Eve we will go to mass and then have dinner at MIL's and then dessert at my mom's. Christmas day we will have dinner at my grandparent's and then go to DH's brother's.

As for NYE, we will probably go to SIL's she usually has a pretty great party and we can spend the night there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sound fun everyone! Safe travels to those driving/flying over the holidays!

I'm SO bummed I won't be with my FI for Christmas (although I never am for holidays) I don't want this to sound bad, but I just can't understand why he can't ever come to Pgh with me for the holidays.

He found out he doesn't work Thurs, Fri, and Sat so my mom offered to buy him a ticket and he said his family is looking forward to spending time with him so he's going to stay... I mean, I'm not meaning to be unreasonable here but we LIVE in Philly with HIS family and are ALWAYS with them... Is it that hard to spend the holidays with MY family!? Sorry to vent but he just can't see my point of view on this... I honestly don't know what we'll do after we get married. I'm NOT staying here, as I never get to see my family except for the holidays...

db - Not yet sure if FI is working for NYE... knowing my luck he probably will be because I'll be here. Either way, I'm most likely going to my friends place in DE - it will be all couples and me but I don't care - I'm sick of sitting in because FI is always working...
  • ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    GMC- Sorry that you guys won't be together :-( Have you tried to negotiate a trade off, like your family is Thanksgiving and his is Christmas and then switch from year to year?  I am so sure if we lived in another city, we would be having the have the same disagreement. We run around every holiday to see both of our families but its doable because our families are only a town apart.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ros - yes, we've tried to negotiate. It doesnt seem to go anywhere though... Two years ago he came to Pgh for Christmas and feels I should stay here in Philly one year, but I just feel if we weren't ALWAYS with his family then it wouldn't be a problem! But we are, and basically the only time I see my family is over the holidays. I think he just doesn't understand how it feels to be away from his family (as we have always been here in Philly) all the time, and I don't know what - if anything - I could do to make him understand. I mean, last year I stayed here for Thanksgiving and the year before I was here for Easter and he's only been to Pgh for one Christmas and that's it... It's just so hard and I hate it.
  • dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    edited December 2011
    G- that situation really stinks re: FI and you not being together for the holidays. Especially since you live near his family, and it seems like you see his family like every weekend! Hopefully in the future you guys will be able to come up with a compromise that works so that you can see both families over the holidays... even if you have to extend the holiday to celebrate the day before/after Christmas .. or even the weekend before/after!

• edited December 2011
    G- I'm sorry, that really does stink, and I'd be mad too! Hopefully this will be the last Christmas you have apart!

Any new developments on Pittsburgh jobs?
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    j - no :( unfortunately - The Omni thing fell through and I'm super bummed about it. We're still looking around but it's just hard because he's not there and I feel that might turn them away... He's applied at a few more places around here so we'll see if they work out. If nothing materializes in Pgh then AS SOON AS I'm done with grad school (hopefully next Dec.) we're moving to FL! I'm so sick of Philly it's unbelievable!

db - yeah, I too wish we could figure something out - it's just hard b/c we're either a 45min plane ride or 4.5-5hr drive away from one another... and both have really big families so it would be hard to change everyone's plans for us... I'm just hoping we can comprimise somehow though b/c it really stinks :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards