Massachusetts-Boston

Good hotels for a block of rooms.

We're not planning to have our wedding at a hotel, but we'd still like to book a block of rooms for out of town guests.  What hotels on here have people had good experiences at?  What hasn't been good?  We're still working on a venue, but our current top choices are in Cambridge and in the South End.  We're open to hotels anywhere, although in Cambridge or Boston would be ideal.

Re: Good hotels for a block of rooms.

• edited December 2011

I don't have any suggestions because we're outside the city, but try to get a hotel that does not have an attrition or make you pay for out of town bags.

Attrition is when you have to pay for any unbooked rooms.  We have a 50% attrition, so if our guests dont' book at least 50% of the rooms we blocked off, then we have to pay for them.

We also have to pay $2.50 per bag to have them hand out OOT bags, so we're not doing them.  It's a pain.  We're having our wedding at this hotel so we didn't really have a choice with the hotel block.

10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wait until you book a venue. Then ask what hotels the venue works with, or look for the best prices at that time. Some venues have contacts with hotels and could get you a discount. Also- until you book your venue, nothing is really set in stone!
  • jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with PP, wait until you book your venue.  Then you can be more specific....we used 2 hotels, one more expensive (over $200/night) that was w/in walking distance of the ceremony & reception, and another cheaper (~$120/night) that was further out, but T accessible.  We had about the same number of guests use each hotel. 
    We had good luck using hotelplanner.com for hotel blocks.  You just put in the dates & estimate the number of rooms/guests and the different hotels send you bids on your blocks.  Then you can visit the potential hotels, negotiate, read reviews, etc and decide who you want to go with.

Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • nhnauticalnhnautical member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you do end up booking in the South End, check out the Ames Hotel in the Financial District. It is a really neat place with a great restaurant/bar with a great patio in the summer. http://www.ameshotel.com/

The bar/restaurant is the Woodward, and if you like champagne, try the Model Behavior. Mmmm!
  • edited December 2011
    The Marriott in Kendall Sq in Cambridge quoted me $149/night for my block, but I don't know the details... I appreciated someone's comment about checking for hidden costs like attrition and out-of-town bags. I've never stayed at that hotel either but the location is good.
  • ashleykellyashleykelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Park Plaza was wonderful!! $150 a night and they were super responsive to adding more rooms. Loved the coordinators!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards