Illinois-Chicago

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza

We are thining of booking this venue.  Has anyone else booked here or been to a wedding at this location?  We will be in the Wolf Point Ballroom which has huge windows and city views. Thoughts?  Any advice for negotiating at this place? Also, does anyone have any photos from a wedding at this place?  Thanks!

Re: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza

• platinumkateplatinumkate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here are two links my DH & I bookmarked during the planning. We considered this venue because it is one of the more reasonable venues. We ended up using the same photographer who did the Mart Plaza pix who was great. We got a tour of the ballroom and the windows are spectacular especially at sunset which is when we went. I didn't try the food because we didnt end up booking there but I have heard it is good. The lobby is modern and the ballroom is brand spankin' new. When we looked, it was just wrapping up a renovation. They have a piano as well. I know that even though it is downtown they have onsite parking and can work it into the package.

The link is here.
    http://krunchd.com/martplaza

The woman we met with was Barbara Martin who was very sweet.
  • jonkim902jonkim902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just booked our wedding there for next year.   The view is amazing.  We have a few friends who have been there for weddings and other meetings and they had nothing but good things to say about the food and view from the ballroom.    Definitely don't let the Holiday Inn name turn you away because the hotel and ballroom are really nice.  They just finished with renovations.   I haven't found one bad review about the venue.  Most reviews say the food is above average what is expected for hotel reception.    Reviews are also great for the service as well as the hotel coordinator, Barbara.    Prices are low compared to other downtown hotels and you get amazing view, good food, and service.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree we considered this for our venue but the dates didn't work out.  Barbara is a pleasure to work with and one of my BM's sister had her wedding here and she only had great things to say.  It's why I looked at it in the first place.  It has some of the best views in the city at some of the best prices in the city. 
  • edited December 2011

I also booked my wedding here for next year. The view is sooo great. If you get a chance stop by at night and see it, it is spectacular. I have also not found any bad reviews about the venue. Other posts have said that the food is great too.  We looked at many places downtown and the package, price and food they offer do not even compare with the other places. I have some pics in my bio and also have some I took when I went to sign the contract, let me know I can email to you if you want. Barbara is great!!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • u_rica77u_rica77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're getting married there in October- not in the Wolf Point (it was already booked) but in the Sauganash ballroom. Barbara is awesome and like everyone else said, I've never found anyone that had anything bad to say about a wedding there.

The prices are some of the most reasonable downtown, so I don't think you are going to be able to negotiate. The Wolf Point books up a year to a year and a 1/2 in advance so they really aren't looking to cut you a deal. We did get a discount for the other ballroom so if you are wanting to cut costs, that might be an option.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker< br > Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kryan0728kryan0728 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the information!  I think we are going to go ahead and book it for April 09 2011!!!  Is anyone considering renting Chiavari chairs or chair covers for the room?  I'm debating spending my flower budget on nice chairs and then just doing lots of candles to go with the views!!!  I'm so bad at decorating - I really need to see some examples of weddings in this room....
  • jonkim902jonkim902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  Prices are already very reasonable compared to other downtown hotels.   Our wedding is also on a Friday and received a nice discount so there really wasn't much to negotiate.
  • edited December 2011
    The chairs they have are not bad at all, they look brand new. I wouldn't spend the extra money. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • edited December 2011

We're getting married there next year.  I personally wouldn't opt for chair covers; we saw the room set up for a wedding and the chairs seemed pretty decent.  Also, 3 votive candles per table are included in the set up, so that will help if you want to do a bunch of candles.  We asked Barbara about decorating and she suggested keeping it to a minimum since there's such a great view and you don't want to distract too much from it. 

• edited December 2011
    Wow I just saw the pix of that venue and it looks amazing. You would never know it was a Holiday Inn!
  • edited December 2011
    My fiancee and I just viewed this place with Barbara... and I'm super excited.  We have two other places to view and so far this spot is in first place.  Great views, prices very reasonable and affordable as we're on a budget, and so far the dates we're looking at seem very fitting.  We have just under 100 people on our guest list, and that being the case, the deposit is less and we're getting a minor added discount!

I HIGHLY reccomend checking it out!
  • kdumlaokdumlao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just met with Barbara today - who was the nicest woman!  Most likely will book this venue.  It's like a hidden gem in Chicago!
    Kat

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards