Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Question regarding Photographer Lingo

I've been noticing that a lot of photogs list that they will provide "a DVD with high resolution images." And then most of them say you "have full printing rights."

I find this language confusing... do you get a DVD slideshow of the images, or are they giving you a CD of the jpgs? How can you print or save images off of a DVD?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question regarding Photographer Lingo

• edited December 2011
    When you get the DVD, you can upload the pictures on your own computer and find a website to get cheaper prints than what the photographer might offer you. Also, you might be able to bring the DVD to Walmart or Walgreens or somewhere like that and put it in the computer there to print your pictures. IMO, it is the way to go if you're on a budget.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_question-regarding-photographer-lingo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:c09e1898-210a-4bee-802b-33d62527069bPost:1c889a12-16f2-4703-bf82-5627c2101b3f">Question regarding Photographer Lingo</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been noticing that a lot of photogs list that they will provide "a DVD with high resolution images." And then most of them say you "have full printing rights." I find this language confusing... do you get a DVD slideshow of the images, or are they giving you a CD of the jpgs? How can you print or save images off of a DVD?
    Posted by admiringwhimsy[/QUOTE]

The high-res images are important because these will be the high quality you will want if you want to make an album, print them yourself, etc.  Usually high-res images come on a DVD because of the size of the images.  If you see a photographer advertising a CD of images, they are probably not high-res.

The printing rights means you have the rights to your images and can print them yourself, rather than the photographer maintaining the rights, wherein that case, you would have to buy any prints you wanted from him.
  • edited December 2011
    Duh, I didn't even think about storage size on a CD -vs- a DVD!

Thanks so much for your help guys!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Actually - a photographer saying you have printing rights means just that.  You can print the pictures for your own use.  It DOES NOT mean that the photographer has given up their rights to the pictures.  Copyright is NOT printing rights.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_question-regarding-photographer-lingo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:c09e1898-210a-4bee-802b-33d62527069bPost:9641849f-0525-4f63-a676-c872eaa3fda3">Re: Question regarding Photographer Lingo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually - a photographer saying you have printing rights means just that.  You can print the pictures for your own use.  It DOES NOT mean that the photographer has given up their rights to the pictures.  Copyright is NOT printing rights.
    Posted by shannonp10[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is true.  The photographer still maintains the copyright.  You are not allowed to sell the images but you are allowed to print them for your own use.  My photographer also asked that I don't post any images on the internet that do not contain the watermark logo.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_question-regarding-photographer-lingo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:c09e1898-210a-4bee-802b-33d62527069bPost:60de2539-498a-4e30-ac20-1738de0572cd">Re: Question regarding Photographer Lingo</a>:
    [QUOTE]  My photographer also asked that I don't post any images on the internet that do not contain the watermark logo.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I think that's possibly the most fair, civil idea for posting wedding photos that I've ever seen.
  • CristinaMBaezCristinaMBaez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer's the same... he's giving me a DVD of a very large selection (800-1000) of my wedding photos in Hi-Res so I can print them for all our family and friends at our own discretion. And so that I can make my own wedding album (I'm a graphic designer).
    It's important that they're High Resolution because in case you want to blow one of them up for an artsy-poster for your living room you don't want to SEE the pixels in your image. (Pixelated is when you see the little squares that make up your image.)
    Simply put... it's the reason why any Low-Res photo you print from Facebook looks so nasty/blurry/pixelated. You may use Low-Res images online but for printing you want as High Quality an image as you can get... To make sure that you actually HAVE High-Res photos look at the file size, it should be around 1MB-6MB per photo.

But, these are all questions that your photographer should explain to you IN DETAIL so that you know exactly what you're paying for, what you're getting and so that you can compare photographer options.
  • edited December 2011
    Just based off what I understand of what my FI and I are purchasing...
    Our photographer (she did my sister's wedding as well), is giving us an 11x14 pic we can use for an engagement pic to be seen at the wedding, but we are opting to have that pic from our wedding day so we can place in our home. Plus she is giving us all rights to the photos, basically means she will give us a disc with all our "proofs" so we can have them. We got the same for my sister's wedding and just uploaded to Costco and printed out what ever we wanted and saved the rest for the future. She is also providing a photo book she will put together of the days photos, but that we get to select.

As far as videographer goes, high resolution is a good idea. My understanding is that because TVs are changing and so is the rest of our technology, you want something that will still be of good quality later. For instance, if you get a standard video on a HD TV, the quality wont be as great. If its not much more in price I'd say its a must, and something we've chosen to do. It's cool to do a slide show, its a common thing I've seen at weddings and it gives the guest a little entertainment, we are opting to do one during dinner, giving them something to look at. But instead of through the videographer it will be through the DJ, same effect, but cheaper for us.

Lastly, one thing I would recommend, if you are able to, have your videographer tape while your photographer is taking pics. Your videographer will be able to capture things, like looks you give each other, that your photographer wont. It will be nice to see later. Because I hear its easy to forget everything that went on that day and you want to have that memory of your FI and yourself so in love.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards