Catholic Weddings

Questions?!

What questions do you have today?

1.  What is a Catholic tradition/devotion/whatever you wish was more prevalent?
2.  What is an secular old-fashioned tradition/norm/whatever that you wish were more prevalent today?  What's something you're so glad we don't do anymore?

Re: Questions?!

• 1.  What is a Catholic tradition/devotion/whatever you wish was more prevalent?
    I wish Luis de Montfort's Total Consecration was more wide-spread, because I think it's an amazing experience.  I love the prayers, and I love how it builds up, starting first with just a few moments of prayer, and building up to make more.  It's a really good way to get into the habit of daily prayer!
    2.  What is a secular old-fashioned tradition/norm/whatever that you wish were more prevalent today?  What's something you're so glad we don't do anymore?
    I wish we were a little more dressy, as we used to be back in the 50s and 60s.  You know, with hats and gloves being worn to run errands and all that. Of course, it's convenient not to put so much time  into getting ready. 
    I am glad women don't have to wear skirts/dresses all the time.  I love pants, and the mobility they afford.  I'm also suuuuper glad we don't have to wear pantyhose all the time.  Every time I wear a pair, they gets terrible runs!!  So annoying.

• What questions do you have today?

1. What is a Catholic tradition/devotion/whatever you wish was more prevalent?
    I wish the rosary was prayed more often at churches.  At the latin mass (at least all the ones i have attended), it is always said 20-30 minutes prior to the start of Mass.  i wish the english masses would follow suit.  many youth today i dont think even know what the rosary is!  this would also cut down on the obnoxious pre-mass chatter that we often see.

2. What is an secular old-fashioned tradition/norm/whatever that you wish were more prevalent today?  the Pledge of Allegiance in schools.

3. What's something you're so glad we don't do anymore?
    can't think of anything on this one....

• We do the consecration every year for the Annunciation. =)

Aside from my knee-jerk answer (TLM in every parish) I wish there were more Eucharistic processions.

Secular—I wish people were a little more reverent in their speech, manner, way of dress etc. We are too inclined to let it all hang out (literally and figuratively) However I am with you on the pantyhose. Hate them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1.  What is a Catholic tradition/devotion/whatever you wish was more prevalent? Wearing your "Sunday best." I think dressing conservatively and nicely for mass should be a must (not a maybe).

2.  What is an secular old-fashioned tradition/norm/whatever that you wish were more prevalent today?  I don't know if I'd go as far as Resa, but I definitely wish people took more pride in their appearance, generally (see above). Wear clothes that fit (ignore the number), cover yourself, think about the message the logo on your shirt sends, run a brush through your hair, use deodorant, brush your teeth. You don't need to take it to the level of vanity, but there is nothing wrong with basic grooming.

What's something you're so glad we don't do anymore? The old "parents' house to sorority house to husband's house." I like that women have more options for education and careers, and that it is okay to get married at 25 or 30 or 35 or ... Besides not being in a sorority, I appreciate having lived alone, having lived with roommates, having worked, etc., before I got married and started a family. I think it makes our marriage stronger, and it allowed us to be in the "right" place when we met and married.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.  What is a Catholic tradition/devotion/whatever you wish was more prevalent?
    I agree with an earlier mention of having the rosary prayed more often before masses.  When I was younger my family usually prayed one together each Friday during Lent, but I haven't done it much on my own.  I was asked to do a rosary as penance after confession a few months back, and after discovery that my church doesn't have any set times for group rosary praying, I just bumbled through it on my own...

2.  What is an secular old-fashioned tradition/norm/whatever that you wish were more prevalent today? 
    I do love the fashion of the 50's/60's, so it would be nice if some of that came back.  I probably have a lot more, but nothing is coming to mind at this exact moment... I'm sure I'll update later 

What's something you're so glad we don't do anymore?
    Agree with the previous post on more options for women, less expectation to only just get married, have babies.  And as much as I love the fashion of older times, I'm so glad that corsets aren't a thing anymore :)
  •  Calypso, I am always so shocked when I travel and there is so much chatting going on before Mass.  I never see that in my diocese, so it's just weird to me.  On our HM, it was as loud as an auditorium before the show starts -- I couldn't believe how loudly people were talking!  Even the ushers were shouting hello to people from across the church.  Not quite the prayful environment that I was expecting!

On another note, for these before-Mass rosaries, does everyone meet in a chapel or something?  I've never seen this done.  Does someone stand at the lecturn and lead?  Just curious about the logistics of it :)

• Resa, someone literally just starts saying it aloud and people know to jump in.    but again, at the TLM, its so quiet you can here a pin drop so when the person starts talking, they are the only one talking aloud so its hard to miss.   those who know the drill know to be there early if they wish to join in (although more often than not, they are there early anyway for confession since you can always confess before the Sunday latin mass in addition to the typical saturday evening time slot).

usually there is a core group that seems to rotate who starts it.

im fortunate in that the english masses at my church are also quiet before hand - clearly the priest has somehow set the tone for the parish.  my mom's parish is not like that, and i particualrly dislike going at christmas and easter since that's wehn you get all the people that never go any other time of year and it really is like a reunion of sorts with people shouting, hugging, kissing, etc.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:649aa2d4-846a-4814-a4e0-4157fd2f7d20Post:1d16b07a-cd9d-433c-8634-2a997f42c34d">Re: Questions?!</a>:
    [QUOTE] Calypso, I am always so shocked when I travel and there is so much chatting going on before Mass.  I never see that in my diocese, so it's just weird to me.  On our HM, it was as loud as an auditorium before the show starts -- I couldn't believe how loudly people were talking!  Even the ushers were shouting hello to people from across the church.  Not quite the prayful environment that I was expecting! On another note, for these before-Mass rosaries, does everyone meet in a chapel or something?  I've never seen this done.  Does someone stand at the lecturn and lead?  Just curious about the logistics of it :)
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

When I've seen it, it's usually just a parishoner leading from wherever they're sitting/kneeling.  The only "formal" times I've seen it done have been during Lent, and then I think it was someone leading it from the lecturn.  At my FI's parents' chuch, there's an older man who everyone knows prays a rosary before Mass every week, he just sits in the back and prays it out loud, and anyone who wants to join in can do so.
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah Christmas Eve Mass is a real show some years....so annoying.  Once we had Easter Mass at a concert pavillion, because the church was just WAY too small.  They only had one Mass (bilingual).  You couldn't hear the priest/readers because everyone was talking so much. Everyone was in shorts and tank tops, and there were literally people in the lawn with beach chairs and coolers. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:649aa2d4-846a-4814-a4e0-4157fd2f7d20Post:1d16b07a-cd9d-433c-8634-2a997f42c34d">Re: Questions?!</a>:
    [QUOTE] Calypso, I am always so shocked when I travel and there is so much chatting going on before Mass.  I never see that in my diocese, so it's just weird to me.  On our HM, it was as loud as an auditorium before the show starts -- I couldn't believe how loudly people were talking!  Even the ushers were shouting hello to people from across the church.  Not quite the prayful environment that I was expecting! On another note, for these before-Mass rosaries, does everyone meet in a chapel or something?  I've never seen this done.  Does someone stand at the lecturn and lead?  Just curious about the logistics of it :)
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, the church we've joined since moving to OKC is SO chatty, at least before the 10:30 mass.

I will answer questions when I get home.  =)
    Anniversary

• newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to Questions?!:

1.  What is a Catholic tradition/devotion/whatever you wish was more prevalent?
    I definitely agree with you ladies about the rosary before Mass!  I know I need more practice... and it would probably help take care of the chattiness, or at least keep it in the vestibule.   I miss the more traditional churches... none of this modern, avant-garde crap church architecture, thank you very much!  So many beautiful old buildings got torn down and replaced by bland, nondescript brick/concrete boxes rather than investing in restoring what was already created.

2.  What is an secular old-fashioned tradition/norm/whatever that you wish were more prevalent today?
    Teatime :)  

3.  What's something you're so glad we don't do anymore?
    Well... for myself personally... hand-drafting and blueprints!

I think I'll echo Newly -- I wish churches followed more "traditional" architecture.  I know it shouldn't matter.
    I think I agree with the style of dress.  Especially teaching in a high school and seeing the way young girls display themselves.  People used to dress modestly because they respected themselves and other people.  I'm not saying poodle skirts and bobbi socks, but cover yourself up a little!
    What's something you're so glad we don't do anymore?
    How about the norm that female teachers stopped teaching when they got married?
    Anniversary

• on this whole topic of dress, i get very upset when i see any girl who has yet to reach puberty wearing a bikini.  i personally dont think its approrpiate to teach girls at a young age that they need to wear so little at the beach.  give them a tankini - all of the convenience of a two piece but they are covered up.  ive seen 11-12 year old girls wearing string bikinis with little triangles covering up theri non-existent boobs.   i even see people putting their babies and toddlers in bikinis.
  • Totally agree with you Calypso... goes to show, the sexualization of EVERYTHING in our culture.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:649aa2d4-846a-4814-a4e0-4157fd2f7d20Post:afcbd872-6833-4148-ab82-5035ee983561">Re: Questions?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]on this whole topic of dress, i get very upset when i see any girl who has yet to reach puberty wearing a bikini.  i personally dont think its approrpiate to teach girls at a young age that they need to wear so little at the beach.  give them a tankini - all of the convenience of a two piece but they are covered up.  ive seen 11-12 year old girls wearing string bikinis with little triangles covering up theri non-existent boobs.   i even see people putting their babies and toddlers in bikinis.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I was talking to H about this fairly recently. Lots of people think that putting babies/toddlers in bikini's is adorable -- I think, like you, that it just leads to the sexualization of our society. I don't think junior high or high school students should be in bikinis, either (though that becomes an ugly battle for some (I saw with my sister), because so many do) -- they have no understanding of how that dress affects themselves or others.

We've made the decision to always dress our children appropriately. Church clothes for church; play clothes for play; and so on. It also means putting them in long-enough shorts, wide-enough straps, etc. It certainly means no baby bikinis (ugg).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i also dont like it when people let their toddlers run naked at the beach.  its simply not safe in that there are pedophiles out there who could be taking pics of those kids and exploiting them online and who knows where else.  cover your kid up!
  • I hate baby bikinis!   You know, I can even tolerate a sporty-looking two piece with modest bottoms and I tank-style top that's not quite long enough to be a tankini.  I wouldn't pick it, but I don't get upset by it.  I'm honestly offended when I see babies/young girls in triangle tops and tiny bottoms.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards