Michigan-Detroit

Christmas shopping

Anyone started yet? I most definitely haven't because I have been a little pre-occupied planning the wedding.

When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping?
How many people do you usually shop for?
Do you exchange gifts with your siblings?
How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family?
Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Christmas shopping

• edited December 2011
    When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping? Usually in October

How many people do you usually shop for? about 15 people on my side, FI usually shops on his own for his family, though I do contribute ideas.

Do you exchange gifts with your siblings? Yes, and the more kids they have, the harder it's becoming to afford! I have 2 sisters, one brother, five nieces, and two nephews. Every year it seems like there's another kid, lol.

How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family? My family has always celebrated on Christmas Eve, and luckily his family does Christmas Day so it's usually not that hard.  We do have to swing by his dad's side on Christmas Eve, bit that's always pretty brief.  I have a Christmas complaint about splitting time, but I will save that for another thread Wink
  • edited December 2011
    LMAO! I have been griping all day because TIm Hortons and Target already have thieir Chirstmas stuff up! I am no Ebinzer but Holy Cow! Can't we make it through Halloween! Dave's mom is almost done shopping already!

I like to wait until we got out of school for Christmas Break, get it all done in one or two days
    A LOT! We both have big families!  However we are hoping for a scale down this year for all people involved with paying for wedding!
    Do you exchange gifts with your siblings?Yes!
    We go to all the places.  My family for presents and breakfast, his family for lunch and presents, then my grandmas for dinner! (YES EATING AND PRESENTS ALL DAY!)
  • edited December 2011
    When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping?  I am good if I have it all done before Christmas Eve, seriously!

How many people do you usually shop for?  FI, parents, my best friend, god-children but they only get an ornament, and a niece or nephew depending on who I get.  FI buys for all immediate family members on his side

Do you exchange gifts with your siblings?  Nope, its too expensive then.  The nieces and nephews draw names and since I don't have any children yet I put my name in the mix too.

How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family  FI has always had Thanksgiving Dinner at his house.  We then go to my families for dessert.  Christmas eve his family and christmas day my family.
    DS Born 12/21/11 #2 EDD 4/7/13
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping?  Early November usually.  Although I have a feeling I'm going to be a bad shopper this year!
    How many people do you usually shop for?  My mom, dad, brother, aunt, uncle, grandma & grandpa, fiance, his parents, FSIL, FBIL, and my new niece (who will be about a week old for Christmas!), then there's one random extended family member for the gift exchange.
    Do you exchange gifts with your siblings?  Yes.
    How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family?  Um we don't.  I've been going to his family Thanksgiving for about 4 years now but we have never spent Christmas together.  I always fly home for the holidays.  Starting next year we will split Thanksgiving/Christmas so each family gets one holiday.  Although we haven't even begun to fight about who gets the first Christmas :)
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anyone started yet? Yes

When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping? When planning our wedding, I waited until the very last minute to get gifts. I officially started my shopping as of yesterday.

How many people do you usually shop for? We do a Secret Santa with DH's step brothers/sister and their significant others (except we do get his Sister, BIL and nieces each a gift), DH's Grandparents & Parents, my Mom, all three of my siblings and my niece. I like giving gifts :)

Do you exchange gifts with your siblings? Yes, but we have reduced the amount of gifts we do. I am thinking we might do a Secret Santa this year with my siblings.

How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family? DH's Grandparents on his Mom's side do Christmas early (usually around the 18th) upstate.

Christmas Eve and Day are switched every year. Last year we did Christmas Eve at my Moms and went to DH's parents house Christmas Day. The year prior, we did Christmas Eve at his parents house. Christmas morning is split between my family and his; starting with my family first so we can watch my niece open presents. I can't wait until we get a house and can have people over instead of having us go all over southeastern Michigan.

ETA:
    I forgot about Thanksgiving. We typically do Thanksgiving at either my Mom's or with DH's Grandparents upstate.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_christmas-shopping-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:78439206-1405-4759-aea5-f732699c0fd7Post:f0a0d409-8d01-4fc2-aac6-5355b082a30e">Re: Christmas shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping?   Early November usually.  Although I have a feeling I'm going to be a bad shopper this year! How many people do you usually shop for?   My mom, dad, brother, aunt, uncle, grandma & grandpa, fiance, his parents, FSIL, FBIL, and my new niece (who will be about a week old for Christmas!), then there's one random extended family member for the gift exchange. Do you exchange gifts with your siblings?   Yes. How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family?   Um we don't.  I've been going to his family Thanksgiving for about 4 years now but we have never spent Christmas together.  I always fly home for the holidays.  Starting next year we will split Thanksgiving/Christmas so each family gets one holiday.  Although we haven't even begun to fight about who gets the first Christmas :)
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

If you have a brand new niece your family should totally get the 1st Christmas!
  • lisa89760lisa89760 member
    edited December 2011
    When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping? Last year we waited until the very last minute...this year we've bought one thing, for his mom so I'm happy!
    How many people do you usually shop for? like ten
    Do you exchange gifts with your siblings? Yup! And the future sister in laws and my sisters boyfriend!
    How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family? This is the only holidy that works in our favor.  His family has a huge christmas eve thing and my family has a huge christmas day thing.  We split up and spend the night at our respective parents house and then he comes over to mine after he opens his presents...I don't know how thats going to change when we have kids though!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping? After Thanksgiving... I do most of my shopping online
    How many people do you usually shop for? My parents and brother, and FI's parents and 2 siblings - so 6 gifts - not bad
    Do you exchange gifts with your siblings? My brother and I exchange $50 bills eveyr year... its retarded.  I tried to break the cycle last year and give him a little more but no such luck
    How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family? We stay in Seattle for Thanksgiving... this year we based Christmas on where we got the cheaper flights.  My family exchanges gifts on Christmas Eve, but our family comes over to our house on Christmas day too, so naturally I want to be there for both days.  This year we are flying ot Chicago (where is family is) immediately renting a car and driving straight to MI (Probably won't even stop by his house to say hi to his fam), staying until Christmas morning, early (probably leave around 8 or so) then driving back to Chicago to his family and spending christmas day there (and a few more days).  Flying back to Seattle on the 28th.  I told him this may be the only year we try to hit both families - it will definitely be stressful!
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_christmas-shopping-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:78439206-1405-4759-aea5-f732699c0fd7Post:8c876545-8d5a-4978-a1b7-281e8586e3ed">Re: Christmas shopping</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Christmas shopping : If you have a brand new niece your family should totally get the 1st Christmas!
    Posted by Kelki[/QUOTE]

First Christmas together will be next year so we have another year of peace before we have to worry about it (that will be an after-the-wedding "discussion").  FI doesn't care so much but it's my FMIL that hates having her family broken up on Christmas.
  • edited December 2011
    Late - not until a few weeks before usually

Not many - my parents, FI's parents, his sister, and this year we have his niece too!  There is also a drawing names thing that his family does but we aren't sure if we'll participate this year.

Do you exchange gifts with your siblings?
    No, not yet.  I'm the oldest and the youngest of my siblings are 9 and 10, so it would be more like me just buying gifts for all of them.  I'd like to but I just don't have the money right now.  There are 6 of us total.  FI has always bought for his sister though so we just keep that going.

In the past we tend to hang out with my family for a couple of hours earlier in the day and then head out with his family for the remainder but I feel like my side has been getting jipped because of it.  We are going to try to split things down the middle still.  Maybe just trade off Thanksgivings  and Easter every other year.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping? It depends, because I do most of it online..........I used to love going to the malls with all the decorations, but as I've gotten older I guess I just am a grump, LOL

How many people do you usually shop for? My parents, my 2 kids, fiance & his kids and THEIR kids.

Do you exchange gifts with your siblings? I have none, but fiance has 3 brothers, 3 SIL, multiple nieces & nephews AND grand niece & nephew. His family pics names, includes all adults (except his mom) and kids, so there's one gift to open from a family member. This *might* be the first year I'm included, since our wedding is next year. Up til now I've bought or made a "family gift" for each family

How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family? Because I have no siblings, it's just my parents, my kids, FI and me. We always do Thanksgiving early in the day as a "brunch" with all the normal fixings, then my daughter usually goes to her Dad's, and my son & I go to my fiance's family's Thanksgiving dinner, later in the day.

Pretty much the same for Xmas..........we've always celebrated with a big dinner on Xmas Eve, my fiance's family does Xmas day. Tricky part is my daughter's Dad's family does Xmas Eve too, but later in the evening because his brother works in retail. So there's always driving back/forth involved on Xmas Eve. Since they no longer believe in Santa, and don't have to be here Xmas morning, it's a bit easier, LOL.

Because my family is just my parents, no siblings, my Mom & Dad have always been accomodating with when we do things. Ex & fiance have bigger families, and fiance's come in from out of state, so we are pretty flexible with everyone else's schedule.
  • Melgor78Melgor78 member
    edited December 2011
    When do you typically start your Christmas/Holiday shopping? Whenever, if I see something that someone wants I'll buy it than.
    How many people do you usually shop for? 5
    Do you exchange gifts with your siblings?Yes, usually something small
    How do you divide holidays between your family and FI/DH family? Right now it's been my family Christmas eve day and fi dad's christmas eve night and fi family on Christmas day.  But my mom is starting to get mad that we don't come over on Christmas  So well see what happens this year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • micheleq1702micheleq1702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Christmas shopping: this year I started in august...find things whenever/whereever I can on sale/clearence that fits the people were buying for have about 5 people left which are getting giftcards, just waiting to FH comes home so he can get them while he's on leave, plus have his daughter to shop for yet which we wanted to do together.

People to shop for: about 25ish, hoping in the next couple years I can talk my family into doing a secret santa and that would cut it down to like 10.

plans: still under construction, my family does church/stockings/hor dourves on Christmas Eve then family christmas on christmas day, however his family does Christmas eve, BUT we only get his daughter for Christmas Eve so we are trying to figure Christmas Eve out right now to hit both at least at some point because my family has presents for his daughter... it's also the last Christmas we'll be living in MI for so it'll be interesting to say the least...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards