Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registering at Bloomingdales?

FI and I had planned on registering at Macy's for items like fine china and drinkware.  However, probably 5 of the last 7 times we've shopped at Macy's we've gotten absolutely horrible customer service.  FI and I started talking about not registering at Macy's because we'd hate to be giving so much business to a store that treats us poorly. 

My FIL's suggested registering at Bloomingdale's instead.  The wedding and most of the guests are in the Chicago-area, which does have a couple Bloomingdales.  I guess my questions are
1) does registering at Bloomingdale's come off as too snobby/high end?
2) has anyone registered at Bloomingdales and have any feedback about it?

Re: Registering at Bloomingdales?

• Options
    I registered there online (my fiance's from California and there are Bloomingdales stores there), so I can't yet comment on customer service, but they do make registering online and managing it online very easy. There's also an option for guests to purchase online (obviously), so that's nice for younger guests who may prefer that option.

I don't think it comes off as pretentious, unless you're in a circle where no one ever would dream of shopping there. If you tend to appreciate nicer things, your friends will know that about you and think nothing of you registering at a nicer store.
  • Options
    I'm also getting married/from Chicago, and I know that my guests would be really confused by this.   I can't think of a single Bloomie's in the Chicago area outside of the touristy one downtown.

You could register there, but I'd pick another store that's more convenient as well.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-bloomingdales?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:873ae7ea-22b6-45c0-b076-344259437748Post:6d094789-9325-4f56-8a09-7a14031a8406">Re: Registering at Bloomingdales?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also getting married/from Chicago, and I know that my guests would be really confused by this.   I can't think of a single Bloomie's in the Chicago area outside of the touristy one downtown. You could register there, but I'd pick another store that's more convenient as well.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

There's also one in Old Orchard (near where we live) and another in Oak Brook (near where most of our guests live).  But your reaction is why I'm a little hesitant  to register there, since I think it's not a store that is in the front of most people's minds. 
  • Options
    I think how people would react depends a lot on your guest list.  I would roll my eyes a little at somebody who only registered at Bloomingdales, but if you had a second registry at BBB or something like that, I wouldn't think too much of it.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    We registered there and have nothing negative to say at all. They were easy to work with, and, as an added bonus (for us anyway) guests from many countries can shop online (e.g. Canada, France, UK, Australia, Japan) without an American credit card. Almost everywhere else we looked was for US guests only (or international has to call a 1-800 number to place an order, which no one does). 

Anyway, Bloomingdales was great. Maybe it is different in New York City, where it is a much nicer place to shop than Macy's. 

I'd say go with the place where you like stuff, have 2-3 registries to give options, and make sure you cover lots of price points. Beyond that, I can't imagine any of your friends caring if it is Bloomingdales or Macys
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I agree that you should go with where you like the stuff. 

However, I will say that within my circle of friends, it would be considered pretentious since no one can really afford to shpo there.  (Of course, I've never actually been in one, so I have no idea what their actual price points are).  You know your friends/family best, so you have to decide how they will percieve it.  I woudln't do it because I think people would think it was snobby/gift grabby (ie. I can't afford to shop there myself, but I'll make my guests buy me expensive presents just because I can).

We did Macy's and BBB, which is where most people I know have registered.
  • Options
    I think Bloomingdales is a fine place to register as long as you have a a less expensive alternative registry as well. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-bloomingdales?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:873ae7ea-22b6-45c0-b076-344259437748Post:434751b5-3011-4297-ba89-afea7ed90c88">Re: Registering at Bloomingdales?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registering at Bloomingdales? : There's also one in Old Orchard (near where we live) and another in Oak Brook (near where most of our guests live).  But your reaction is why I'm a little hesitant  to register there, since I think it's not a store that is in the front of most people's minds. 
    Posted by SaraAndrew2010[/QUOTE]

Haha, our wedding is actually IN Old Orchard and I had no idea there was one there, even though I've been to that mall a zillion times.

I just think people would be kind of confused by it in the area, but that's my circle.  Yours may be different.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    My friend registered there & while I didn't think it was pretentious, I did think it was very expensive & overpriced. They did not have any other registries either. I bought them their 6 place-mats which ran me a $100. I wish I could have gotten something more substantial for that price, but everything left on her registry was $400 or more when I went to buy. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I'm definitely planning on having other registries as well.  BB&B and maybe C&B.

I agree that a lot of stuff at Bloomingdale's can be overpriced.  I was mostly thinking of registery for fine china and drinkware there.  I compared the prices for the china pattern I like, and it is the same price at Bloomingdale's and Macy's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards