Just Engaged and Proposals

Do you go to sleep with you ring on?

I've been engaged for a few months and I always leave my engagement ring on to go to sleep. This is mostly because I'm a big mess in the mornings and if I take it off the night before I'd either forget to put it back on, or drop it in the sink. Probably a dumb question, but can it get damaged if I leave it on? I always end up with my arm under the pillow and I'm a little paranoid that it'll get tangled somehow.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic International Nesties Signature Challenge - Place I would most like to visit

Re: Do you go to sleep with you ring on?

• I sleep with mine on every night.  I just dont shower with it.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Yes but I take it off in the shower.
  • I keep mine on all of the time unless I'm cooking something messy, working on the house, etc.
  • Yes, the only time I take my ring off is when I do the dishes, I just dont like dipping it in the dirty water. The only concerns I've seen with people who choose not to wear it at night is 1. the ring may slip off - which you can easily avoid by making sure it fits snug enough or 2 it could catch on threads causing the diamonds to loosen up. I dont have this problem either and I also get my ring inspected and cleaned every 6 months so they would let me know if anything is getting loose.

When my FI first gave it to me, I took it off to sleep and to shower because it wasn't fitted yet. Now I can't imagine taking it off, I hate taking it off even just to do the dishes so Im sure that will stop soon :)

• The only time I take my ring off is when I go to bed and when I'm applying lotion so it doesn't get icky. But I shower, work out, cook, clean, etc.. with it on. 
  • Nice to know I'm not the only one who leaves it on. I'm just paranoid that it could catch on threads like a PP pointed out and get loose. It's not a massive ring or anything but I think I stabbed FI with it this morning :(

I also take it off to do dishes and in the shower, as I once lost a garnet in another ring that got tangled with my hair.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic International Nesties Signature Challenge - Place I would most like to visit
  • edited April 2010
    I try to remember not to sleep with my rings on.  Both have lots of pave stones that I don't want to get loose.  Also, I've accidentally scratched my husbands face before with my e-ring.  Not cool.
    weddingcollage
  • noooo. i really WANT to, but i'm afraid i'll snag it somehow. or scratch my face. it's really tough taking it off before i go to bed though. i love wearing it! :)
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take mine off too, but I've only been engaged for 2 weeks so I'm over protective of it ;)
    Even when I'm eating I take it off, I don't want it to get greasy!
  • Not usually.  The jeweler told me it could get damaged.  My setting is pretty high. 
  • I never sleep with my ring.  You shouldn't. It's bad for the ring. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Nope, I have made snags in some of my sweaters with it. I don't want to catch it in the sheets and make a hole. I'm not so much worried about the ring, just the damage that it does to sheets/clothes.

I also think that showering with it on is pretty stupid. All the build up from your hair/face products isn't good for any piece of jewellery.
    "does this sweater make me look fat?" "no, the fact that your fat makes you look fat. That sweater just makes you look purple".
  • I take mine off at bedtime because I sleep on my arms, and noticed that I was scratching the heck out of my face. But otherwise I leave it on unless doing something messy. I'm too forgetful to take it off too often. :)
  • Yes, but I take it off to shower, cook, clean, apply lotion/hand sanitizer, eat anything messy, etc. I just don't take it off to sleep because my fingers swell at night and in the morning. I used to take it off to sleep, but then I couldn't get it back on until later in the morning. I would have to put the ring in my purse and wait an hour or two to put it on after I left. I'm not worried about it though. It's a solitaire and I have it checked every six months, cleaned every month. They will tell me if the diamond is getting loose.

This whole post makes my fingers seem weird.
  • When my FI picked up the ring from the shop, the man told him to tell me that women always lose their rings when they take them off and drop them down the drain in the sink or shower.  I never take mine off.  I have one of those drains in the shower where even if it DID fall off, it would get lost.  If I was someplace else where that was an issue I would, but I try not to take it off ever! I'm afraid i'll lose it!!
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • I never take my rings off!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_sleep-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:be75d5c4-2d63-482b-9cf4-42885af2a5ebPost:9cb6d2b9-53a9-4979-8ffb-8da1463a06f9">Re: Do you go to sleep with you ring on?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nice to know I'm not the only one who leaves it on. I'm just paranoid that it could catch on threads like a PP pointed out and get loose. It's not a massive ring or anything but I think I stabbed FI with it this morning :( I also take it off to do dishes and in the shower, as I once lost a garnet in another ring that got tangled with my hair.
    Posted by Cantia[/QUOTE]

LOL  I actually just basically punched Keith in the eye with it, in the middle of the night the other night.  LOL  Poor guy.

I leave mine on the sleep and do almost everything else, except shower.  When I shower, I take it off and thread the stem (leg?) of my glasses through it, so that I won't lose or forget it, when I get out of the shower.  I HAVE to have my glasses to see, so I know I won't forget my ring, if it's wrapped around my glasses.  LOL
  • I had to get my ring fixed because I slept with my ring on and the stone fell out since the holder and my blankets decided they wanted to fight. I take my ring off now when i go to sleep, and it makes my FI a bit sad. Will be getting a band soon enough!

• I've been wondering about this too, since I've only had my ring for a week. I've been sleeping with it on, but take it off to shower/cook/do dishes/put lotion on
    Anniversary
  • i just got engaged 2 weeks ago and i havent taken it off yet!! i dont plan on it except to get it inspected every couple months. i think i would have more of a chance losing it if i take it off.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ring holders, ladies. they work wonders. i have one on my dresser and one by the kitchen sink.
  • Thats a great idea Sarah i didnt even think about that. BTW I absolutely LOVE your sig picture!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards