Attire & Accessories Forum

Does my dress look stupid to anyone else?

I spent 12 hour straight working on my dress. At this point it’s very hard to be objective about it. When I look at it I’m seeing it in a very critical light. I think I need to step away from the dress and work on it again next week .

I started with this dress:

Now I have this dress:

I shorted the train, and added sleeves and tried to raise the neckline. I’m not sure if the front neckline looks ok though. Does it just look like “band aid” fix or like it might possibly match the dress?

Re: Does my dress look stupid to anyone else?

• It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think that the neckline looks beautiful.  It's a bit wonky, so it needs to be straightened.  But bravo!
  • Yes, I notice now that it's crooked. My dad was taking the picture and failed to mention it until after the picture was taken.lol It's not sewed in yet, so I can get my sister to help me get it straight before it's secured in.
  • I think it looks great!
  • wow- you're very talented and creative. I think it looks great
  • Wow, you altered your own dress?  Bravo!  From what I can tell, the neckline looks like it fits with the rest of the dress.  If you took a closer picture of the bodice it would be a little easier to tell. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok, I took a nap and then looked at the pictures, and read your comments and feel a lot better about the dress now. Altering my own dress has been challenging. I've put then dress on so many times.lol At least I'm getting twice as much wear time out of it just with the alteration time.

Here is a closer picture, taken at the same time so it's still crooked, but that can be fixed. My dad told me to look how I felt, thus no smile in this picture.lol

• You did a great job and your dress looks great on you!
  • Looks like it fits to me, can't tell that you added the sleeves. How did you find the exact fabric?  Good job!
  • Thank you guys.=) I used the fabric from the train to make the sleeves and front panel.

• bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Wow those sleeves look flawless!  You already said that the front panel isn't secured yet so I think it looks BEAUTIFUL and will be perfect once you sew in the neckline to be straight. 

I wish I had your skills!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it looks really nice! Great job!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image Robby James born 2.24.12 @ 23 weeks due to preterm labor
    Remembering Robby
  • It looks amazing! You should be so proud of yourself for doing such a wonderful job!  No one is going to the have the intimate relationship with the dress like you will looking at every stich and detail under bright light and a microscope. 
  • I love the sleeves.  Love them. 
  • Wow. I think it looks great.  you are very talented.
    Anniversary
  • IndigoRainIndigoRain member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    My dress turned out great. I went with a flat, not gathered, front panel. I loved it! The wedding was great, and all I dreamed it to be.

• That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    It looks beautiful! 

You are really talented.  I like what you did with the dress.  I love sleeves, and you did a wonderful job with yours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dress-look-stuipd-anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:f171df70-4730-4601-8cdc-8f4ad81dca7fPost:e4b8789c-c863-4c6c-9dbf-3d03e18b02a8">Re: Does my dress look stuipd to anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it looks great!
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

You've done good work.  You should be proud of yourself.  Great job!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards