Canada-Ontario

Custom Bridesmaids dresses

Hi there,

I was thinking of having my bridesmaids dresses custom made instead of buying them I really do not know which would be cheaper. I have a few style that I had in mind but I was wondering if anyone knows a seamstress that would charge for about 200 in Toronto. I am a leaning more towards a knee length dress and and maybe chiffon fabric.

any help would be appreciated

Re: Custom Bridesmaids dresses

• APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a bridesmaid dress made before for a wedding I was in, and I just found the seamstress in the yellow pages and then looked at examples of work she'd done before. I found it to be about the same price as buying from a shop and about the same difficulty to get what you wanted :)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the type of dress you're describing, you should be able to find a wide range of pre-made BM dresses. My girls wore floor-length Alfred Angelo dresses that cost $230; knee-length dresses should be slightly cheaper. Also, if you look beyond bridal boutiques (think Mexx, RW&Co etc.), you can find lots of other cute dresses for even cheaper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    so are you suggesting that its better to just go and buy the dress? Also, I would really prefer that the bridesmaid all wear the same dress and colour. However how do you deal with a situation where you only have one plus size BD and the the rest of them all agree with the same dress but does not suit one?
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, for your price range I think you'd be better off just picking a dress. Having dresses custom made can be a lot of trouble - several appointments with the seamstress to get measurements and alterations, etc.

Have you already shopped for the dresses? I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here. Take them shopping and see what they like. Personally I think it's better for all the girls to like their dresses than for the dresses to be matching. Honestly, if they're all the same colour, length and fabric, they'll look very unified even if they wear different styles. But, that's your call as the bride. Just remember that a dress is not worth alienating friends over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Cayla, you can choose a designer that you like several styles from, and a colour and tell your bridesmaids to choose one that is knee length chiffon from that line. That way they'll all feel comfortable. I tried to do that, but they all chose the same dress anyways. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah that's a great idea. My future SI in law was saying that the dress has to be all the same and I showed a picture a dress that I think is pretty and she likes it so she is trying to get me to convince the other girls to like the dress. As well she said that it does not look great in pictures. Anyway I am not going to make someone where a dress they do not like because I know i would not but probably would do it for a friend as long as she is happy.
  • edited December 2011
    I had a similar situation one of BMs had a baby and must of gained 90lbs or so...they all agreed on this dress which should look good on all even plus size since its not clingy. the plus size will be a bit more $ but thats normal

Check out alfred angelo style 7016 i believe it also comes in a shoter length but not sure of the model numebr as mine were floor length...
  • Shandy10Shandy10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had the same issue.  Several different sized bridemaids, each wanting different styles, from sleeves to strapless.

We solved the problem easily!  We went to fabric land and picked patterns from the bridal section ($7 bucks for the pattern).  We went to the Designer Fabric on Queen St and bought the fabric for each dress for about $70 bucks (nice bridal satin in a good weight).  My seamstress charged about $125 a dress. 

The dresses end up costing about $200 for each girl.  Each girl got a custom made dress that fits her PERFECTLY and she loves, because she was able to make tiny tweeks here and there (ie, longer sleeves, different skirt length, etc).  Each has told me she feels beautiful in her dress and loves it!

Easy Peasy.  With a great seamstress, anything can be done.  For the right price!

• edited December 2011
    Hey Shandy10,

well the budget for my BMs dresses right now is at 200. There are a few style I was thinking and I showed them to a few of the girls and they seem to like it. However they may not like them when they try it on. Who was you seamstress? did you take all the measurement and then went to the fabric store? You can private message me and I would love to see the pics of the dresses if you want. 
  • 905mom905mom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    don't do it unless you know exactly what you want and know your fabrics and quality.  my daughter was just in a wedding where the dresses were made by a "professional seamstress"  they looked cheap and although they did fit okay they still had to have several fitting appointments.  If you order a new dress you pick it  and get measured and go back for your fittings and its done.  You know what your getting up front no surprises!  Its just like these people who order online - goodness knows what your going to end up with.  I always say you get what you pay for!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards