March 2013 Weddings

Non-Traditional Bouquet Toss...Thoughts?

I am one of the last ones to get married out of all my friends who are going to be at the wedding so I was wondering about an alternative tradition ... to still toss the bouquet but invite anyone out on the dance floor for it ... this is a fresh idea, so tear it to shreds if you think it is ridiculous...  I can think of 5 people who are my "single" friends... ?!  Or should I just suck it up and let the 5 year old cousin catch the bouquet (my maid of honor would probably tackle to get it ....)

Also, what was your favorite middle school/high school/college girly song?  Beyonce drives me NUTS and I'm looking for a "throw back" ... milkshake, girlfight, hollaback girl, salt n pepa style ... any recs?!

Re: Non-Traditional Bouquet Toss...Thoughts?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_non-traditional-bouquet-tossthoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:b6cb65a1-8797-4189-81a8-f9ff1920c221Post:f4e4cd41-c444-426d-b4c3-b68b4690b53b">Re:NonTraditional Bouquet Toss...Thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I would just skip it. I'm the last of my friends to get married. I stopped participating in the bouquet toss about five years ago. After a point it's no longer cute to remind single women that they're alone. <strong> If you do do it, for the love of god, please don't make the guy who catches the garter dance or put the garter on the girl who catches the bouquet. That is just disturbing, gross and uncomfortable for everyone involved.</strong>
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

This! I had never heard of that until TK. How creepy and awkward, especially if they don't know each other. A friend of mine had the people that caught hers do a dance. Less weird, but still very awkward because they didn't know each other at all and they were really put on the spot. I wouldn't want to have any part in that personally, so I'd never make my friends do it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • I went to a wedding recently, where she did an anniversary dance and gave the bouquet to the couple married the longest.
    Maybe the garter thing is only common is certain areas. I've been to maybe 1 wedding that didn't do it. Around here when they get up to catch the bouquet or get the garter... they know what they are signing up for. I can see how it could be very awkward, but boy do those girls still try knowing a complete stranger may slide something on their leg.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Skip it.  I took my bouquet home with me and enjoyed it for almost 2 weeks!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2013-weddings_non-traditional-bouquet-tossthoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:2fb7282e-ed53-4794-84c9-f5617fc97f8bDiscussion:b6cb65a1-8797-4189-81a8-f9ff1920c221Post:f4e4cd41-c444-426d-b4c3-b68b4690b53b">Re:NonTraditional Bouquet Toss...Thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]f you do do it, for the love of god, please don't make the guy who catches the garter dance or put the garter on the girl who catches the bouquet. That is just disturbing, gross and uncomfortable for everyone involved.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

haha I totally agree with this, its super old school and awkward. I caught the bouquet at a wedding a few months before FI proposed, and the bride and groom just took a photo with me and the guy who caught the garter. That is what we're doing. We have a lot of single friends, or friends who have a boyfriend/girlfriend (remember, they still get to try to catch it!), so I definitely don't want to skip the bouquet/garter toss tradition (and not to mention it came true for me!! haha). But if I were you, I'd do what some of the pps said and skip it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have been at too many weddings where the person who caught the garter is the little cousin or something in comparison so I would never have the guy who catches the garter put it on the girl who catches the bouquet...

Thanks for advice, though.
  • I love the idea of the anniversary dance and giving the bouquet to them...I think that's sweet.  I've seen that dance done where the remaining couple gives the newlyweds advice.  Also...you don't have to toss YOUR bouquet...many people have a smaller one made just for tossing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards