Massachusetts

Prices for florists/decor?

My fiance and I are getting married at Gedney Farm in the Berkshires next summer, and our budget is VERY small. My fiance doesn't care very much about the decor, and I agree with him that in the scheme of thing, in 10 years no one will remember or care about what kind of flowers we had. But I do realize that we have to have a little something. I'm still really new to all this wedding planning so I'm trying to get a sense of what we can expect to pay for very simple flowers if we go to a professional florist. Basically we would just want very simple bouquets, or even potted plants, as centerpieces for the 10 or so tables, bouquets and boutonnieres for the very small bridal party. Maybe some cheap lighting like lanterns. What do you think something like this would cost, assuming we go for the lowest priced flowers? I'm very open to DIY, but our wedding is going to be on a Sunday, and since another wedding will be there on Saturday, we would have to do set-up on Sunday morning, which just seems a little stressful. Any thoughts (as well as vendor recommendations) would be appreciated.

Re: Prices for florists/decor?

• bpphoto785bpphoto785 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does the Big Y in Great Barrington do weddings? If you're looking for something simple they're probably not going to be very expensive. Otherwise, I would call a few florists in the area tell them your thoughts and see what they give you for a quote. I could recommend a few in Pittsfield, but I'm not sure if they'd deliver to New Marlborough.
    There are lots of non-floral centerpiece ideas out there depending on what time of year you're getting married. Lanterns are a great option!
    May '12 Nesties
    March Siggy Challenge: Furbaby
    MARRIED!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Goblets with tealight candles make very cute and inexpensive centerpieces (as long as you choose inexpensive goblets!)

Not sure how much re florists but at the last wedding I went to each table had tiny flowers in little pots that the bride's mom grew herself. Buying seeds and a few mini pots wouldnt be too expensive if you go DIY route.
  • edited December 2011
    All of our bouquets and flower centerpieces were DIY, we bought flowers from a local farm and a florist in bulk, bought 18 matching glass vases from tag sales and put everything together the day before the wedding.  For roses, lisianthus and hydrangeas we probably spent under $300 and my flowers ended up being exactly what I wanted. 
    Call local florists and ask for recommendations, you don't necessarily have to have them put it together for you and as PP said, grocery stores can also be a good option, their floral departments can usually order what you want as well. 
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm open to DIY in theory, but as I mentioned in my post, we won't be able to set-up in the venue until the morning of the wedding, and I think it is too stressful to have to worry about doing all of that myself on the day of. I'd mostly be paying a florist to handle all the set-up, even if it is extremely simple and low-key flowers/decor. I am guessing grocery stores would not do set-up, otherwise I would definitely look into that...
  • nutmeg825nutmeg825 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went through Jodi at Family Flowers in Lenox.  She is amazing and affordable!  We did potted mums, bouquets, boutineres, and a vase with fall flowers on the card table for 500.  I had a small wedding party so that helped!!
  • edited December 2011
    Ooh, that sounds great. Did she come and do set-up and break down?
  • nutmeg825nutmeg825 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She only set up.  Our venue allowed us to breakdown the next day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards