South Asian Weddings

Photog: Posed shots or in the moment?

On your wedding day, and reception, what kind of pictures do you want?  And go into discussion!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~

Re: Photog: Posed shots or in the moment?

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll go... we wanted something more documentary style, that led us from event to event. (from the mehendi ceremony, to the haldiwaan, to the subset of different rituals in our wedding, and different events in our reception)...  I loved the detailed shots that our photographer used... I wasn't a fan of the posed style, in a scenery, but we did portraits at south mountain where a fort resides. 

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    Great question!

As a company, we try our best to stay as far away from posed photographs as possible. We do a few for the sake of the parents, and nice thank you cards, oh and for the one big photo that will be hanging over the fireplace.

Just about all of our clients hired us because they wanted mostly journalistic photos, with more fashion and flair.

Although it is in trend, I am a sucker for an amazing traditional posed photo. Please don't get this confused with the traditional Indian posed photo, with the strange hand placements, random stare into the sky type of look. I love great posed photos, and wish one day to be able to take them, maybe after a few more years of experience!

For now, a good mix is what is most common.
    Abhi
  • Trupti8584Trupti8584 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted a little bit of both. I love documentary style photography. That being said, I'd like some classic shots of us,ceremony, et al.
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    I've seen a mix as well, but I recall from when we were interviewing photographers in Phoenix, there weren't too many, and the one we went with, stood out 180° from the rest.  The rest were the same weird poses, and they looked great, but at the same time they look awkward, and not natural.

Awesome! I'm always looking for feedback - trying to tear down some of those stereotypes out there... I've been (I'm a sucker for these) looking at indian photographer's portfolios to see how they've placed their pictures, and what kind of pictures are being taken...

• MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say both as well...

*Still waiting on the pictures from my photog...I'll have more of an opinion then*

:)
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    edited December 2011
    MrsBM, what's taking your photographer so long to send you back some pictures?  Did you get a sneak peek yet??

• edited December 2011
    We want a mix of both - some traditional posed ones, but not The List that I've seen at every wedding I've ever been to. We don't need an individual and couple photo with every family member/bridal party member who attends. I figure one big shot with the bridal party, one with immediate family and another with extended family, a few of just us, and some nice detail shots, and we'll be all set for posed pictures! Mostly I want the pictures to reflect how much fun the day was. Hard to do that in posed-only photos.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards