Not Engaged Yet

How openly do you talk about sex?

2»

Re: How openly do you talk about sex?

• I'm totally an open book. I called my mom this morning to tell her about my IUD, and told her how I called BF first to tell him NO BABIES and that he was excited about not having to use condoms anymore. I'll pretty much talk to anyone about sex. I walked in to my friend's house a couple weeks ago for girl's night (I was late) & they were talking about anal sex, and I just jumped right in. I have zero shame.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:8c7e5bda-796b-420f-ab8d-93db23fd4191">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm totally an open book. I called my mom this morning to tell her about my IUD, and told her how I called BF first to tell him NO BABIES and that he was excited about not having to use condoms anymore. I'll pretty much talk to anyone about sex. I walked in to my friend's house a couple weeks ago for girl's night (I was late) & they were talking about<strong> anal sex</strong>, and I just jumped right in. I have zero shame.
    Posted by BriSox81[/QUOTE]

<div>Threadjack:</div><div>
    </div><div>Can we talk about this soon?  Either in general as a group?  KUI night?!</div>
    I french with my man
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:b658ab05-c969-4747-95a7-4229a204b9f1">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : Threadjack: Can we talk about this soon?  Either in general as a group?  KUI night?!
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!! :-)

*******************************************************************************************

• I'm pretty open when I talk to close girlfriends, but I don't use details.
    It completely makes me blush with FIs sister brings it up (and she has) in terms of keeping the relationship good and my FI happy. I also hate when a relative asks me when we are going to try for a baby. I know this is totally juvenile, but in my mind I'm then thinking about how much sex we are going to have to have, and why on earth would they want to know when we're going to have sex? Ugh.

But with you guys, I'm open. :)
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Im always open about everything. Its typically to talk about something sexual at xmas dinner. I wouldnt have it any other way.

I would respond with "Thanks, I heard about it but forgot to look it up, thanks for letting me know"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:40226df2-806b-4674-b14b-cc1558d4c830">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : My parents never had "the talk" with me, but I didn't date until I went to college either, so there's that.
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

Neither did mine, but I still managed to get from my second base to home run in one summer - the summer I turned 18. I think I just figured that now that I can legally have sex they can't tell me no. What a little democrat I was back then, ha.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • I'm pretty open especially with friends and definitely BF..we sexy talk all the time.  The 'rents are a different thing.  I do not talk to any of them about it.  The only thing that comes up is grand babies here and there.

I got the talk at school not from my mom which is sad thinking back.  I was scared shiitless when I started my period!  Luckily (for me not her) my cousin who is the same age as me got KTFU at 15 so it was right there in my face and I was having NO part of that.  I lost my virginity at 18 and definitly have not been a prude but I was always careful.  I think that when we have a kiddo I will definitly be talking to them about sex starting young and always in an age appropriate way.  I just feel like having the knowledge sort of takes away the mystery of it all in a way.  I want my kid to be safe and smart and know how those decisions can impact the rest of their life.

KUI about anal could make for an interesting thread LOL

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:80a91ef5-db2d-40ea-b9ff-376fd0344dc8">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? :  PS I don't do anal but I'll chat about just about anything else.  Blame ExH.
    Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]

Same here.  I am kinda thankful that SO has zero interst in anal or anything else involving the "poop chute" (his words).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:fb078906-166a-42c0-ae33-458872cd93ba">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : Hi, nice to meet you, please watch your boyfriend come out of me? Awkward.

Yeah, I was kinda giving FI looks like, "Are we really going to do this?!"

It didn't show very much and was short, luckily. The only thing I actually remember is that after FI was in FMIL's arms, the only sign of affection that FFIL gave her was a pat on the shoulder, lol.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:80a91ef5-db2d-40ea-b9ff-376fd0344dc8">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : KUI chat night Friday?  I can host 10 at a time.   PS I don't do anal but I'll chat about just about anything else.  Blame ExH.

I'm in!! I'll remember to bring my work laptop with the camera home for the occasion.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:80a91ef5-db2d-40ea-b9ff-376fd0344dc8">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : KUI chat night Friday?  I can host 10 at a time.   PS I don't do anal but I'll chat about just about anything else.  Blame ExH.

<div>I have to work.  And I have no idea when I'll be home.  Probably like midnight.</div>
    I french with my man
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:3f2b734e-532c-432e-82d9-9f473e0fc2d0">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : I have to work.  And I have no idea when I'll be home.  Probably like midnight.

Boo. I will tell you anything you want to know. We can have our own Skype/wine/sex discussion date whenever you want :-)

• jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:3b12c079-a4d3-44d5-9d10-2bb481822ddd">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I talk most openly with my girlfriends, second with H, and never ever ever if possible with my parents. H is a little awkward because 1) I'm his second 2) he was very repressed due to his church's beliefs and 3) his anatomical knowledge sounds like it comes from a romance novel. One of the first times he refered to his peen I couldn't stop laughing.  It sounded like someone reading from a dime novel or cosmo.  I used to be in nursing school so anatomical names don't bother me but I say bajingo because I'm basically a less neurotic Elliot Reed. True story:  When my sister was born, my grandmother was watching me.  She got off the phone and informed me that my sister was coming out of mommy's tummy.  I very smartly corrected her "<strong>Grandmother, she's not in mommy's tummy!  She is in her uterus and will come out her vagina!"  She nearly choked on her werther's.
    </strong>Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]

That's amazing.

For me, it totally depends on the person. I'm an open book with my friends. I think we know pretty much everything about any guy that any of us hooked up with in college. We would have debriefing sessions at the diner on Sunday mornings, haha.

I'm pretty open with my Mom, although I definitely don't get specific at all. We've talked about BC a couple of times, and we talk about other peole having sex, and I don't get embarrassed watching sex on TV with her. I don't talk to my Dad or brother about sex at all. I tried (at my parents request) to have a discussion with my 15 year old sister (just stuff like "you know you can come to me if you need someone to talk to, or get BC") and she turned beet red, and shut that shitt down.

BF's mother has convinced herself that we don't have sex, even though we live together. His sister in convinced (and has told BF as much) that we're going to burn in hell for all the premarital sex we have. So yeah, I don't ever talk about sex with them.

ETA: I got "the talk" when I was about 7, after my Mom found my BFF and I reading "Where You Came From", while hiding in corner in the library. I remember she read me some other book that started off with how dogs mate for some reason, and I turned to her and asked "well, how do people do it?" and was totally horrified when she told me that it was pretty much the same way.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:cddf1e74-b550-4579-b327-abc6c59b6fec">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : Boo. I will tell you anything you want to know. We can have our own Skype/wine/sex discussion date whenever you want :-)
    Posted by BriSox81[/QUOTE]

<div>See, that's the thing.  I've already done it...</div><div>
    </div><div>But yes, find me on Skype.  I think that info is on FB.</div>
    I french with my man
  • Depends on who I'm talking to, and what I'm talking about.

Mom - We'll talk about sex in general (not detailed, but you get the picture), but I could never, never, NEVER talk to her about having sex with Steven. Even when we're married. Super duper awkward.

Steven - We talk about sex rather openly, it's not awkward at all for us. It's just one of those things people do. NBD.

You girls - I would have never, ever talked about details/TMI with anyone on the internet, until I saw how open everyone is here with one another, and how it's not a big deal. Everyone does it at some point, so who cares.

My best girlfriend - Never. It would be waaaay awkward, lol. We've made references to sex before, but never had a discussion about it. It would be very awkward, lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:06eb327f-6abe-454b-b0d2-9b3dd8006312">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How openly do you talk about sex? : Same here.  I am kinda thankful that SO has zero interst in anal or anything else involving the "poop chute" (his words).
    Posted by BloodandChocolate[/QUOTE]

<div>My ass tensed. I cannot stand the thought of anal sex. *shudders* It hurts bad enough coming out sometimes, I couldn't imagine trying to "go against the grain".</div><div>
    </div><div>Gag.</div>
  • Everyone on my father's side of the family has no qualms about discussing their sex lives. I've heard the story of my own conception more times than I can count (Nov 15th bday, so on valentines day I will get another "Happy conception day" call from my dad) Recently my Grandfather disclosed the fact that he hasn't slept with his wife in 2 years....GAG!
  • I don't talk to my parents about it, but my boyfriends mom and I talk about it. We get along really well and I spend the night at her house sometimes, even if my boyfriend stays at our apartment. So it wouldn't be awkward for me unless my parents said something. Also, I talk really openly about it to my friends.

My blog about my crazy life during nursing school.
    Nursing, School, Life

• edited February 2012
    I recently took a job at a company that sells sensual and sexual items, everyone who knows me says it's the perfect job for me...haha.  So, yeah, I'm pretty open about all that! 

BF is the same, as are both of our families for the most part.  Obviously we don't talk details with most people, but we aren't awkward or shy if sex/sex related talk is brought up.

ETA: While growing up my mother talked very openly to me about things like our bodies and sex.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_openly-talk-sex?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dff49a2f-c556-4491-abb2-ae9370b571d6Post:2af29347-65c3-47fe-af44-22354b6eb9c9">Re: How openly do you talk about sex?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm an open book. If my parents call me and I don't answer because I was having sex, when I call them back I'm like, "Sorry, we were having sex." The only people I'm not open with about it is my extended family and Mo's parents, just because we don't have that kind of relationship. However, if either of his parents brought up sex, I wouldn't care. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

haha I've always thought I was super open about sex talk...but I'm open with friends (and I used to work as an educator at planned parenthood so I've talked A LOT about sex) and this is pretty awesome.  I am fairly shy around my parents for whatever reason. 
    "Don't treat your heart like an action figure, wrapped in plastic and never used." --Amy Poehler ribs
  • Man, I'm late to the game.  I'm fairly open with BF about it (though out of the two of us, I'm the one who has more trouble brining it up).  His brother and our really close friends will bring it up randomly, so we end up with a bunch of discussions with them about sex in general (though never about us).  Anyone else, there is no way I'd talk about it.  I will, however, talk about BC and the different options out there if someone asks me about it; for some reason, I think of it as a completely separate topic.

I never got the talk growing up, just had the videos they showed us in 5th grade (all of the other girls were excited, I didn't care).   By then, though, I'd already had my first period.
  • I remember having a video on getting your period, but I don't think they talked about sex at all. I don't really know where I learned about it, but I do know I went from believing that a man and a woman could pee in the same toilet (without flushing) and you could make a baby that way (I was really little then, lol) ... to really knowing the truth and I have no idea when that thought process changed, lol.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards