Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Back for some help - RE: bridal shower date

Hey knotties - new and old alike ; )

The tables have now turned and I'm a bridesmaid in a friend's upcoming wedding.  The MOH keeps turning to me for advice regarding the shower and our current dilemma is: to have or not to have a bridal shower on Mother's Day?  Assuming having the shower the day before is not feasible, what are your thoughts?  (We are attempting to accommodate an OOT BM by doing the bachelorette party and bridal shower in one weekend.) 

TIA for the feedback!
Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Back for some help - RE: bridal shower date

• edited December 2011
    Hey Jen!! How are you?

Personally, I wouldn't be happy about a shower on Mother's Day.  I always have brunch with my parents and grandparents and kind of feel that is a special family day.  Is there another weekend the OOT BM can come  in?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • a.lemma4a.lemma4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have a problem with it on Mother's Day because every year we do the breast cancer walk and then go out to brunch/lunch. There's always a chance that a lot of people might not show up because they already have other things planned.
    Siggy Challenge - Favorite Pic of FI - Tan and Fuzzy, Just the way I like him ;-) imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I most likely wouldn't attend a shower on Mother's day.  Also you may have a hard time finding a place because a lot of places do brunch. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll ditto the previous posts. It also doesn't help that my Mom's birthday always falls around mother's day (she was born on it after all). It's a day I spend with my mom, and before she passed my grandmother. If there is another day when the OOT BM can come in, I'd highly suggest it.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Jen!  

I agree with all the other ladies, you will have a low turn out, which sucks for the bride, plus maybe no where to hold the shower.  
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Cara!  All is well here - counting down to our anniversary trip to Aruba in May.  This year has gone so fast!  Congrats on the house!!  That's our next adventure too = /

I thought this would be the consensus.  I live 2.5+ hours away from my parents and we've never been ones to have any longstanding special plans for that day. So I appreciate the feedback gals.  

The original plan was to have the shower that Saturday, then have the bachelorette party the weekend before her wedding which is hopefully how this will play out.  Due to everyone's crazy schedules, we have so few options for dates.   
    Yorkie Jenga

• edited December 2011
    ditto PP, we do a family lunch every year so I wouldnt be able to attend
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_back-re-bridal-shower-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:89f94ccd-e777-42cb-9b38-75214a7faa75Post:c3b4218b-89c4-4a9a-8cdb-ae2714f2c010">Re: Back for some help - RE: bridal shower date</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Cara!  All is well here - counting down to our anniversary trip to Aruba in May.   
    Posted by PharmJen[/QUOTE]

Oooh fab!  Where are you staying? We went to Aruba for our hm.  I would go back in a heartbeat!
  • edited December 2011
    We went with the Radisson.  I can't wait.  I need to be on a beach ASAP!
    Yorkie Jenga

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_back-re-bridal-shower-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:89f94ccd-e777-42cb-9b38-75214a7faa75Post:af2089e5-9cdf-4db6-bca2-ea005f0a3766">Re: Back for some help - RE: bridal shower date</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went with the Radisson.  I can't wait.  I need to be on a beach ASAP!
    Posted by PharmJen[/QUOTE]

Excellent choice! That's where we stayed, we loved it. :-)  If you want any restaurant recs, let me know!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh awesome!  I'm glad you liked it too (we got the rec from my cousin who went in 2009).  I will definitely tap you for some restaurant recs once it gets closer.  Thanks!!
    Yorkie Jenga

• edited December 2011
    Hi Jen!  So jealous of your anniversary trip.  We are just planning on going to brunch for our anniversary.  I agree with PPs about mother's day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards