Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Square Cake versus Round Cake- Price Difference?

I was once told that square cakes are more expensive than round cakes. Is that true? I know fondant is more expensive than buttercream but definately does not taste as good!

Thanks

Re: Square Cake versus Round Cake- Price Difference?

• pavingtheroadpavingtheroad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont believe the shape of the cake makes a difference. The size would make a difference in the cost
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • lilyfish050lilyfish050 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One bakery I looked at was more expensive for a square cake, but you'll have to check around I guess. I think square cakes are adorable. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • sarahmarietmsarahmarietm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It shouldn't make a difference.  Just call around when you start to look at bakeries to see what they up-charge on. :)
    Photobucket
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The price is probably higher for the square cake because a square cake has more servings than a round cake of the same size.  Therefore, if a baker is pricing each tier at a per serving cost, it makes sense that the square is higher priced.
  • tamirenee15tamirenee15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had heard that square cakes cost more because they are more difficult to make, but I have looked at a lot of cake places and none of them charge more for a square cake.
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there shouldn't be much of a difference between square and round...now, I have heard that the REALLY unusual shapes (hexagons, octagons, etc.) that bakers don't generally have pans on hand to make ARE more expensive.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent to one bakery that charged 20% more for square cakes because to get the crisp corners, they had to bake a larger cake and trim down to size.  I still thought that was ridiculous.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are using fondant, they typically charge more because it's more difficult to get the fondant smooth on a square than a round.  I don't see why a buttercream frosting would be more.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    It so shouldn't cost more. That's ridiculous.
  • edited December 2011
    Square cakes cost more b/c it is more difficult to cover them in fondant.

Wouldn't think there is an issue if you want buttercream.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing a square cake and wasn't told it was more then a round cake. ( but then again we aren't paying for it... it's provided by the venue.. well we are but aren't since the venue says it complementary)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Square cakes cost more ONLY BECAUSE they provide more servings for the same size cake when compared to a round cake.  This is because a square cake has more squre inches than a round cake.

The below link shows this.  For example, an 8" round serves 24 people - an 8" squre serves 32 people.  Since cakes are priced per serving, the square cake will coste more.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards