New Jersey

What did you give your priest?

We're getting married in a catholic church, by a priest we absolutely adore. We'd like to give him a gift, but we aren't sure what to give. We were going to do cash but it seems that that may need to be donated back to the church. We're giving a separate donation to the church, so this is in addition and specifically for the priest. He's made jokes that he likes whiskey- would it be wrong to give him a nice bottle of whiskey?

What did you give your priest, if anything, in addition to the church donation? TIA!
Anniversary Photobucket

Re: What did you give your priest?

• mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Nothing wrong with whiskey!

We gave ours some cash in a card. I hope he didn't have to donate it back!

• edited December 2011
    I guess I'm naive in thinking "priests can't drink!"??
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011

I think whiskey is a great gift.

BabyFruit Ticker If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. Even if we're apart i'll always be with you. - A.A. Milne
  • LuvOBLuvOB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think priest are allowed to drink.  They can't get drunk. IMO a nice bottle of whiskey would be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gave ours $75, he was thrilled with the generous gift and said its going toward his London vacation.  I doubt priests donate back... I hesitate giving liquour in todays world/problems/alcoholism....
  • DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I gave $$ plus he came to my wedding as well... and i didn't donate to the church because I worked there.  The priest also was not from our church and our church never asked for a donation.. so I just gave to him personally.
  • edited December 2011
    How about a Visa gift card.  He can go to dinner or use it on vacation - or buy the whiskey.  :)

We gave a restaurant gift certificate since he loves going out to dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with a visa gift card - although I think a nice bottle of whiskey is fine.
    M-43 DOR (FSH 20 AMH 0.16, AFC 4-6) Endo stage III DH-42 (low everything)
    TTC #1 unofficially since 6/09, officially since 10/10
    6/11 RE testing,rt tube blocked with hydro, 8/11 lap surgery rt tl
    IVF#1 10/11 Estrace,450 Follistim, 15 units low-dose HCG, DHEA - cancelled (only follie growing)
    IVF#2 started stims 11/4/11 - same protocol, increase in concentration of HCG, added CoQ10, no response, cancelled on CD 12
    12/2/11 began accupuncture; Break in Dec. Next cycle anticipated in Jan.
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards