New Jersey

Hawaiian Honeymoon

Has anyone went or is anyone going to Hawaii on their honeymoon? I posted on the honeymoon board, but I wanted to post here since you ladies have been so helpful so far!
FI and I are pretty sure we're going to Hawii for our honeymoon. (Tahiti/Bora Bora and Fiji are other other places we've been considering) We're planning on going to two islands, and doing a week at each. Good friends of ours went to three islands and said it was too much. For me the drawback about Hawaii is because there are too many islands to choose from! Right now we're thinking Maui and either Kauai or Kona(on the big island). We've heard negative things about both Honolulu and Waikiki, so I think we're eliminating Oahu (even though I'm a dork and love history/was a political science major so I would really like to go to Pearl Harbor). We were pretty set on Maui, but FI's good friend said one of their other friends didn't like it, so he just emailed her to ask why. We definitely want to relax (good beaches!), but would also like great restaurants, and a little nightlife.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Photobucket

Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon

• edited December 2011
    We spent our entire time (12 days) in Kauai and LOVED it.  We had a perfect blend of relaxation and nature adventures.  If you want a more mellow honeymoon where you aren't on the go 24/7, then Kauai is the place to go.
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing 3 islands, Oahu, Kaui, Maui.

We are doing 3 nights in Oahu, and 5 in the other 2.
    You could always do a day trip to Oahu for pearl harbor.
    Everyone has different opinions on if they will like something or not, you can't really judge based on your friends opinions.
    Do research on what types of activities you would like to do and see which island fits better.  We really wanted to see the volcano but we are visiting the big island and a day trip would be to much flying.
  • BlueDazy83BlueDazy83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are planning on doing a week in Kauai and 5 days in Maui. Like the one PP said, Kauai is more of a relaxing vacation. Some of the beaches are unswimmable also but there are many other beautiful beaches. I've also heard the northshore could be rainy.  Just do some research on it. Also, pick up the book (I know it sounds silly, but a good book) Hawaii for Dummies. It's helping us alot. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing 6 nights in Kauai and then another 6 nights in Maui.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sully1927sully1927 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are thinking of going to Hawaii as well. I want to have a blend of relaxation and a few activities. One thing we are thinking of looking into is the Hawiian cruise that Norwegian Cruise line does. It is a 7 day cruise that goes to one island a day and then we are thinking of doing an extra 4 days on one island.
  • edited December 2011
    We did 10 days, 6 in Maui, and 4 in  Kauai.  We kept REALLY busy but were able to see everything we wanted (there is a ton to do in Maui).  I would suggest 2 weeks, if you can swing it and have the time.

Here is my photo album I made from the trip complete with descriptions, you can pick and choose the things you want to do.

http://www.mypublisher.com/bookshelf/friendbook

Book ID:   S2704746      Password:   2742571
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually didn't like Maui too much.  I mean don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but there isn't that much to do on Maui.  If you are the type of people to just sit on the beach all day, then it might be good.  

We rented a car and drove around most of the island, that was a lot of fun.  But at night the island pretty much shuts down.  We were there for 4th of July and everything stopped at 10pm, and that was a late night.  The locals make it pretty clear that they don't want you there.  It was just an all around bad experience.  We ended up cutting our trip there short and went to Vegas instead.  

We heard afterwards (from the same people that told us to go to Maui) that we should have gone to Honolulu and Kwuai (sp?)  I don't think I will ever go to Hawaii again.  But that was just our experience.

• edited December 2011
    We are going to Hawaii. Spending 5 nights in Maui and 5 days in Kauai. We have a few friends who have went and we have heard nothing but good things about them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kozacskozacs member
    edited December 2011
    We are doing 6 nights on the Big Island, and then 5 each at Maui and Kauai.  Definitely check out costco for hotels.  We got better deals than what other travel agents quoted us. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_hawaiian-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:1420e02a-5891-4e3f-92a4-6fa7f1f80b1cPost:d7f0c350-fe9c-4ecc-92d8-7d4f61b6f06f">Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]We actually didn't like Maui too much.  I mean don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but there isn't that much to do on Maui.  If you are the type of people to just sit on the beach all day, then it might be good.   We rented a car and drove around most of the island, that was a lot of fun.  But at night the island pretty much shuts down.  We were there for 4th of July and everything stopped at 10pm, and that was a late night.  The locals make it pretty clear that they don't want you there.  It was just an all around bad experience.  We ended up cutting our trip there short and went to Vegas instead.   We heard afterwards (from the same people that told us to go to Maui) that we should have gone to Honolulu and Kwuai (sp?)  I don't think I will ever go to Hawaii again.  But that was just our experience.
    Posted by felicia220[/QUOTE]

I guess if your idea of of things to do is nightlife and nad clubbing, then I agree.

There is a ton of do in Hawaii, we didn't sit on the beach at all and 6 days wasn't even enough.

Haleakala Sunrise
    Road to Hana (this is at least an entire day if not more)
    Drive around the north part of the island
    Nakalele blow Hole
    Ho'okapika Beach (Awesome Windsurfing)
    Wailea
    Black Sand Beach
    Snorkeling
    Ziplining
    Lahania Town

The list goes on and on.....
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • TaraK22TaraK22 member
    edited December 2011
    We're doing 4 nights in Oahu and 8 in Maui. I'm super excited :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hawaiianmusichawaiianmusic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't rule out Oahu outright. If you're looking for nightlife and restaurants, I am inclined to say that Maui and Oahu would be good for you.  Oahu also has Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, the North Shore, Kailua (nice beach).  Waikiki is fine, but I wouldn't spend an entire week there.

Kona on the Big Island is a lot of resorts.  The weather is super dry making it ideal for the resorts there.  The landscape (lava rock) makes it feel like your on the moon, i.e. not tons of foliage.  This comes at the opposite extreme of the east side where there is a lot of rainfall and waterfalls.

Kauai is my parents' favorite island.  Great for hiking, beaching, but limited nightlife.  The views are fantastic though which is why so many movies are filmed there
  • edited December 2011
    I just went to Hawaii for a 2-week vacation in December. It's true - you can probably skip Oahu or spend the least amount of time there. We did 3 days in Oahu, a week in Kauai, and 4 days on the Big Island. I've never been to Maui - mostly because it's the most expensive of the islands and has the most tourists.

The main places to see in Oahu are The North Shore, Waikiki, Pearl Harbor. You should definitely go to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling. You can do all these in 2 days.

Kauai is sort of a sleepy island and doesn't really have a nightlife - unless you stay near all the other resorts in Poipu. We were there for a week and went to a different beach each day. Definitely try to go to Polihale and Waimea Canyon. We stayed at the Aqua Resort in Lihue which is halfway between the North Shore and Waimea so nothing was too far away. Plus, in Lihue you are close the airport and all the shops.

For the Big Island - Volcano National Park was amazing but it's closer to Hilo and unfortunately the hotels in the area are very old. We stayed in Kona where all the resorts were and did a lot of driving - it's about 2 1/2 hours away. We stayed at the Outrigger in Kailua which has a turtle pond and is next door to a beach.

I'm happy to give you a rundown of all the places we went to. I have a lot of family in Hawaii so they gave me a list of all the local places to hit up.

We got great rates for hotels by booking directly with them and doing packages that included the rental car.
  • edited December 2011
    we're just doing 2 days in Oahu.  we're leaving at 1pm (our time) and getting there at 6pm (their time) so the first day is pretty much just getting settled and getting some rest from the travel.  then on the 2nd day we're going to Pearl Harbor. we're staying at the Royal Hawaiian.  if you love history, i'd strongly suggest staying there.  it was built in the 1920's and has been fully restored.  it served as sleeping quarters for the navy in WWII.  my grandfather was in the navy in WWII so it was really important for me to visit Oahu and this particular hotel.  the hotel is gorgeous and has a small resort/boutique hotel feel rather than the huge sky rises often seen in Oahu. 

we're then spending 5 days in Kauai and 5 days in Maui.  in Kauai, we're staying at the Koa Kea resort.  again, it's a smaller resort and it's NOT kid friendly which is hard to come by in Hawaii.  not that i don't like kids, but we wanted to have a quiet and romantic honeymoon.  definitely check those resorts out.  links to their websites are below.  i'd also recommend calling them because the websites don't give their best rate.  when we called we got free breakfast and 5th night free in our hotels that they didn't have listed on the site.  Royal Hawaiian gave us a better rate than AAA.  even the travel agent we were talking with didn't offer that, so we definitely got the best value just by calling the hotels directly. 

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/
    http://www.koakea.com/
  • edited December 2011
    mcjays, i sent you a PM :o)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_hawaiian-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:1420e02a-5891-4e3f-92a4-6fa7f1f80b1cPost:0c2c5361-ed8d-443a-9842-dfb1e6ecd815">Re: Hawaiian Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]we're just doing 2 days in Oahu.  we're leaving at 1pm (our time) and getting there at 6pm (their time) so the first day is pretty much just getting settled and getting some rest from the travel.  then on the 2nd day we're going to Pearl Harbor. we're staying at the Royal Hawaiian.  if you love history, i'd strongly suggest staying there.  it was built in the 1920's and has been fully restored.  it served as sleeping quarters for the navy in WWII.  my grandfather was in the navy in WWII so it was really important for me to visit Oahu and this particular hotel.  the hotel is gorgeous and has a small resort/boutique hotel feel rather than the huge sky rises often seen in Oahu.  we're then spending 5 days in Kauai and 5 days in Maui.  in Kauai, we're staying at the Koa Kea resort.  again, it's a smaller resort and it's NOT kid friendly which is hard to come by in Hawaii.  not that i don't like kids, but we wanted to have a quiet and romantic honeymoon.  definitely check those resorts out.  links to their websites are below.  i'd also recommend calling them because the websites don't give their best rate.  when we called we got free breakfast and 5th night free in our hotels that they didn't have listed on the site.  Royal Hawaiian gave us a better rate than AAA.  even the travel agent we were talking with didn't offer that, so we definitely got the best value just by calling the hotels directly.  <a href="http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/</a> <a href="http://www.koakea.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.koakea.com/</a>
    Posted by kristinashley83[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>We are doing the same thing as you basically.  Flying into Honolulu our flight gets in at 5 on Friday and we will stay there until Sunday, so we have a full day to do Pearl Harbor and such.  That was the only thing we wanted to do in oahu.</div><div>Then flying to Kauai staying there a week, then flying to Maui and staying there for 6 more nights.   </div>
  • edited December 2011
    We're thinking about a cruise out of LA roundtrip- 14 days.  It only goes to 4 islands, but that will be enough for us, since we love cruising and can plan our excursions those days and relax the rest.  To me the islands don't matter- I'm happy to sit on the beach or snorkel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kellybee83kellybee83 member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your input and suggestions!! It really helped us make our decision. We're going to do a week in Maui and a week in Kauai...so excited!
    Any suggestions on hotels, restaurants, sites to see, excursions, etc, would be fabulous! I'd like to do the Road to Hana, go zip lining, attend a luau (I've some are great and others are a waste of money), relax on the best beaches, and eat lots of good food!
    Also, has anyone done, or is anyone planning on doing a helicopter tour? FI loves helicopters (I've gotten him flying lessons as presents a few times) and I would love to surprise him. I have a feeling it could cost an arm and a leg, and I really don't want to spend that.

User- While we probably won't keep as busy as you and your wife did (I definitely plan on spending a good amount of time laying on the beach with a fruity island concoction in hand), I don't want to miss the best/most beautiful places on the islands. Which were your favorites? How was the Road to Hana, and where did you stop along the way? I've heard there's really cool waterfalls, and some cute little places to eat. Was the Haleakala Sunrise worth getting up at 3am for?

Thanks in advance!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards