North Carolina-Outer Banks

Fee for Rehearsal Dinner??? Is This the Norm??

Hey ladies!

I am looking into reherasal dinner venues and one restaurant charges $450 for the room fee...we are only having 50 guests and I thought this a bit strange.  Is anyone else being charged a room fee for the rehearsal dinner?

Thanks!

Re: Fee for Rehearsal Dinner??? Is This the Norm??

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't heard of a room fee? Especially for $450! That seems ridiculous for only 50 people. Can you "shop around" a little for other options?
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I am doing that now and so far Basnights Lone Cedar Cafe is the ONLY one who charges this fee.....crazy!

• evenundomielevenundomiel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i can probably tell you why they do that -- 

lone cedar is a larger restaurant. they have a room that they can block off for a private event, such as a rehearsal dinner, without having to close down the restaurant (which would cost you big money). 

when they close down a room they probably charge a room fee because they have to assign a specific number of people to that room alone...believe me, you want this! to ensure that everyone has their needs met and the group is taken care of. Essentially, you're having a private event in your own little private world..but the rest of the restaurant is still going on busiily behind the closed doors. 

imageAnniversary
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, so I was wrong. Other restaurant's DO charge a room fee. In fact, I spoke with Ocean Blvd. and they want $600 for a private room fee too! Personally, I am going to nudge my MIL towards having a casual pool-side BBQ at their rental home instead.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you opt for casual, may I recommend High Cotton BBQ? I'm using them for my welcome dinner.   As our wedding is in 19 (!) days, I can let you know how it goes.
  • princesskmpprincesskmp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I can't believe they are charging room fees.  Having the rehearsal dinner in a beach cottage is what we decided to do.  For one thing, we wanted a more casual and relaxed atmosphere without the pressure of having to leave by a specific time.  We also wanted to invite several other guests and make it sort of a welcome party, so having the food catered in was more cost effective.  We are using Currituck BBQ.  We had a tasting with them during our March visit and the food is absolutely delicious.  
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually an event planner.. typically a place will charge a room rental fee if they aren't providing the food for the event.. so if there's a room fee in addition to the charge for the food, that's pretty crazy! I'd look elsewhere!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards