Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

NEED ADVICE! :(

Hey girls, So I fell in LOVE with this videographer...check out this video and you will too. I swear it can't be real it's so perfect. 
Only problem? They're SOO much money. so much. 
WHAT DO I DO?! I'm trying to justify this...
Check out the video :http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-photography-videography/articles/elysium-productions-aimee-and-troy-wedding-video.aspx
BEWARE: You'll want to hire them after watching that hahaha 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NEED ADVICE! :(

• Options
    byoung0520byoung0520 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wowww!!  that's probably why they are so much money, they're THAT good!  Well, I guess it depends on how badly you want to preserve your day on video and how much you're willing to spend for it.  Does it fit in your budget?  And if not, where could you cut costs in your budget to afford them?

I'm getting married in 9 days and in a barn at that.  I wish our wedding could come close to a wedding like that, it was beautiful!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How much more are we talking? A couple hundred or a couple thousand? We spent more then we planned to on our DJ, but that was only a few hundred, easily absorbed elsewhere. We did splurge (sorta) on our photographer because she's awesome. If your heart is really set on this videographer, then see if you can absorb the costs elsewhere. 

Another option, once you find another videographer, show them this clip and ask if they can do that. 
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes - seems like they are from California!!! Although I couldn't seem to find pricing online, IMO, you can find a much more affordable videographer in Pittsburgh that will be very good.

Unless you absolutely have your heart set on them, then I would say keep searching - especially for someone local. When you start getting into your photog/videographer having to fly to you to shoot, the price will drastically increase! -- Just a thought :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They're from Orange County, which is like the best area in the country for photogs/videogs.

I think you really need to take a look at what you love about the video and try to see if that is something you want to spend so much money on.

You have to also remember that a beautiful location, expensive gown, gorgeous bride and guests, etc, don't hurt the cause. They had an outdoor wedding and a super fun reception, which makes their video look awesome.

What is the style of your wedding? If you are getting married in a dark church, yours won't look quite the same, for example, due to restrictions.

They work with the top photogs in the industry, including j*, so I can estimate what their prices are right off the bat. The weddings they are shooting are probably in the 50-100k budget range total.

Also, the video there is part of the Arthouse Series, so it is the upper package, not the lower one.

They are like one of the top video companies in the country (I've seen another amazing video done by them), so if you have the budget, go for it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I wouldn't scrimp on anything else to afford it though.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is the problem, it's either them or nothing at all. I've been researching for Pittsburgh area one and hate every one of them. I wasn't going to have a video because I hate the "usual" video, especially being a Communication major with a love for video and photography. 
    I just spoke with her and she is adorable, so sweet, and I know that it will be exactly what I want. 

The price? ..$8,000. Yeah. hahah Pittsburgh area ones are under, or a bit above 1,000 so that is insane. That price is including their travel and everything, and it is the upper package. It's the only package I would get (of course) but I just am not sure if it will be worth it. 
    I'm going back and forth with my budget, but it will probably end up around 40,000. I'm planning a vintage/classic style and will most likely choose the Carnegie Music Hall for the venue. 

I just don't know what to do! I would do anything to have them there, but that money could be spent elsewhere. Also though, that's something that I will be able to have forever. 

UGH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    8k actually isn't bad. I figured they would be in the 15k range, so that's not bad.

If you don't have a venue yet, I would NOT pick a videographer yet. The reception is the biggest part of the budget. It will always cost more than you think it will.

I know a few ladies on here that had 40k weddings. None of them spent 8k on video. It just isn't really in line with the percentages.  That will make your budget essentially 32k.

32k is a lot of money, but for the Carnegie Music Hall, it really isn't, depending on the number of guests. And don't forget all that has to go into that 32k:

Food
    Beverage
    Space Rental
    Transportation
    Rings
    Hotel Room
    Photography
    DJ
    Ceremony Costs
    Musicians
    Gown/Attire
    Floral
    Hair/Makeup
    Paper Goods

The last thing you want, IMO, is an expensive videographer to film a wedding where you had to cut costs to be able to afford it. Styling makes a big difference in how the photos and videos look.

The best videographer isn't going to be able to work magic if your gown is poorly tailored or your DIY hairdo doesn't work, KWIM?

There are definitely good videographers in Pittsburgh that aren't 1k. They're not 8k either, though. My video is very, very good and I am happy to have a great record of the day that was artfully done. I used Bob with All-Pro USA, and I know that LaFemme used them for her wedding, as did skyblue.

If you really think you will regret it, get them. But I'd at least get my date and my venue, guest list, and budget nailed down first. :)

I have a friend that is really good too, out of NYC. Their company is MOHO Creative. They are newer and do the cinematic editing you like, maybe check them out for a better price?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! I totally know what you girls are saying, I just hate that I have this vision in my head :/ I actually looked at All-Pro USA and was dissapointed by their website, however I looked at them right after watching that video. I'll def. have to check out MOHO Creative, thank you for the idea! 

I just love the cinematic feel to the video. Do any of you know locals that do that? I feel bad showing the places that clip and asking them if they can do that hahaha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just watched the MOHO videos, theyre similar! I'm going to shoot them an e-mail right now, hopefully I can get some good pricing! Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Kwyn - speaking from experience (as we talked about before, my wedding is at the Carnegie Music Hall) things start to add up QUICK! It is DEF not an inexpensive venue. You have to think, the rental fee for the museum is quite a bit of money off bat, if you are planning on having 250 guests as we discussed before, at 100+ p/p, you will be way over budget already and havent even added in things like the dress, transportation, photog, etc. Just my initial thoughts. I'm sure, as Kwynn mentioned, there are a lot of great videographers in Pgh - it's definitely worth doing a bit more research (IMO). GL with the decision though! It is your wedding after all and you have to do what YOU want!! HTH! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have a videographer, so take my advice with that in mind...

But I can't even imagine spending 8K on a wedding video that you will only watch a few times.  Even if you watch it on every.single anniversary you have and you and your DH live long lives and are married for 50 years...and technology doesn't change so that can keep watching the same DVD (lol!) that means it would roughly cost you $160 every time you watch it.  

And, I hate to say it - but no one else wants to watch your wedding video.  You and your DH (and MAYBE your parents/ILs) will be the only people who want to watch it.  :P  A friend got married and we couldn't make it to the wedding and she gave us her DVD to watch.  Ummm...it sat on top of our DVD player for 2 months before we just gave it back to her.  I have no desire to sit there and watch someone else's wedding. 

My advice - since you asked - is to get a really fabulous photog with a budget like that and get beautiful prints made and hang them all over.  :)  Then you can at least see your investment everyday.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with KRM-- it's totally not something I would ever watch, and I don't see the point in getting a videographer for my own wedding.  $8K seems crazy to me, but again, that's not somewhere that I'd choose to spend the money with my own wedding.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Er&JerLemEr&JerLem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unless you hav the money to throw away, $8K is absolutely insane to me to spend on a videographer.  I didn't spend much more than this on my reception!

• Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let's be honest...are you really going to watch this video enough to justify $8K? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much girls for slapping me straight! haha I can't help but get carried away and needed to be pulled back a little. 

After speaking with MOHO they'll still be around 5,000. UGH! Why can't I just find a cinematic-effect video from a Pittsburgh place? I guess I'll just have to keep looking! 

Thanks again :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    personally. the one thing that i could not see going cheap was my pictures and video.

sereously the wedding went b lightnight fast. like i dont even remember half of it and i wasnt even drinking!

I cant wait to see our pro pictures and video, i  LOVE the people i used (the are from cleveland though)

but at the end of the day and the rest of your life thats all you have to remember your day. thats the one tihng i would splurge on.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards